HID for $30? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 14th, 2010, 2:07 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Garage
HID for $30?

I must admit total confusion here. I want to upgrade my low beams on my 05 LT to HID. I've been doing my reading but I must be missing something. One company seems to be selling the single bulb kit for say $30 and another company mentioned on this site wants $169. I've always believed you get what you pay for. How is the $30 kit holding up 2, 3 or even 4 years later? What am I missing? Any problems using these kits with a headlight modulator? Thanks!

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 14th, 2010, 7:41 am

Re: HID for $30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydude
I must admit total confusion here. I want to upgrade my low beams on my 05 LT to HID. I've been doing my reading but I must be missing something. One company seems to be selling the single bulb kit for say $30 and another company mentioned on this site wants $169. I've always believed you get what you pay for. How is the $30 kit holding up 2, 3 or even 4 years later? What am I missing? Any problems using these kits with a headlight modulator? Thanks!
If you are talking about DDM Tuning, they are great kits and mine's over a year old and running strong. You can't run a modulator with them, and you can't flash high beams if you replace the high beam either. (Also, if you have HID High and Low beams you will have an uncomfortable "dark" period when changing between high and low at night). I suggest HID Low, stock High beam and modulate the high beam for daylight driving if you so desire. The high beam ends up being much less useful at night with a HID low, since it's so bright in the first place.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old May 14th, 2010, 7:55 am

I agree with the disadvantages of HID high and low, but...

To me they are overcome by the advantages when you are alone on the road and see with high beam like in daylight. The pause when switching to high beam is really not an issue since low stays on when high comes on. Only a very slight delay before it gets REALLY bright.

I bought mine before the prices fell even more. Paid $129 for a hi/low kit about three years ago. Money well spend.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #4 of 5 Old May 14th, 2010, 8:15 am

I just did the low and put a silverstar in for the high. I ordered the dual kit so I have a full spare. I've had it a year and so far no issues with it - it is the DDM kit.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #5 of 5 Old May 14th, 2010, 9:28 am

Smile Re: HID for $30?

I have the DDM hi and low beam for the last 2 yrs. with no issues, I have also installed three sets in other folks bikes and have had no issues with those either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in