Qustion for the multitudes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 7:48 pm Thread Starter

Qustion for the multitudes

I just bought a set of Hella FF50's to pendant mount below the mirrors on the old LT. I had a set of Wallyworld lights hanging there earlier but had an issue with them. Long story short I donated them to the landfill.

I wired the Wallyworld lights to come on when the key was on (same as headlight) and pointed them low so they would not blind on coming Harley riders with loud pipes.

I decided on the FF 50's because of their size and shape, their length front to back (I will convert to HID), quality and reputation. I nearly got the drizzles when I saw the FF500's, they look like they are at a million candlepower sitting in the box, but took one out to the bike and it was just too big and too round. Looked like it belonged on a 747 as a landing light and not on a suave and sophisticated European thoroughbred.

I have been thinking long and hard about this and I THINK this is where I'm at:

1.) I would like 3 points of light for safety
2.) The additional 2 points should come on, relay controlled, with the HID headlight
3.) I would like to use the mirror mount lights (FF50's) for true driving lights. Point those suckers down the road and light up the roadway to the horizon.
4.) I think I would like to add 55 Watt fog lights for the 3 point requirement and mount them to the tip over wings so they will be low , non blinding to oncoming traffic, and could be aimed up so that they are visible but not annoying.

Here is my question. Will the fog lights pointed at the oncoming drivers be noticed? I would think at 55W each they would be bright enough and that the amber color would be different enough to be noticed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks folks,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 1:21 am

Re: Qustion for the multitudes

Have run a pair of small h3 halogen fog lamps under the tip wings for years ... YES oncoming traffic sees the 3 points of light quite clearly during the day.
But due too the not so solid mountings under the wings been pretty hard on bulbs only getting a couple seasons per bulb on each side.
Been rather pricey using the Silverstar super whites .... SO
I just replaced a few weeks ago the bulbs again within the fog housings with a pair of DDM h3 5000 k H.I.D. capsules .... wholly shit do we have light now !! ... Vibration proof too.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T
wisties Required

post #3 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 1:42 am Thread Starter

Thanks Scott! Nothing like feedback from the voice of experience! I was really hoping that the lights would be visible in the daytime. It would seem that if the "volume" is there then the yellow color would be quite noticeable as it would not be what you expect to see on a sunny day. Your HID upgrade sure took care of the "volume" issue!!!

Thanks again,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #4 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 6:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

FWIW Loren,

I run one Amber and one Clear in my Motolights. Not only a 3 point but an odd colored one as well.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 8:46 am

Don't know of this pic will help you, but what the heck. All I do know is that nobody ever said they couldn't see me coming.

HID lowbeam
Cheesy Walmart lights in the oval vent holes aimed about 10' ahead and 15' apart.
Caliper-mount Motolights aimed a little further, then the other pair (Raster-mount) aimed a bit further. All independently switched...

My concern with your FF50's is that you'll have to aim them pretty low in order to use them when anyone is coming at you. Those are more suited as high-beam helpers, from what I've experienced with others that have mounted them under the mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	27047  
post #6 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 9:25 am

Smile Re: Qustion for the multitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Don't know of this pic will help you, but what the heck. All I do know is that nobody ever said they couldn't see me coming.

HID lowbeam
Cheesy Walmart lights in the oval vent holes aimed about 10' ahead and 15' apart.
Caliper-mount Motolights aimed a little further, then the other pair (Raster-mount) aimed a bit further. All independently switched...

My concern with your FF50's is that you'll have to aim them pretty low in order to use them when anyone is coming at you. Those are more suited as high-beam helpers, from what I've experienced with others that have mounted them under the mirrors.
I had the same set up as messenger13 sans the cheesy Walmart lights. A new alternative to the Motolights are the Clearwater lights, which are HID bright, dim-able, come in Amber, go to full brightness with high beam activation and oh yeah, you won't need to change out bulbs...grin. Yes, you will need custom mounting brackets to mimick what Messenger 13 has, but I am sure someone on this list can come up with something....grin.
post #7 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 10:43 am Thread Starter

John, Messenger and JBob, Thanks for the info! One amber, one white makes good sense. Kind of elicits that "What the hey" second look from the cager. Maybe a set of the WM Cheesers mounted in the oval holes would be a better option for the 3 point look as the fogs that I like are rectangular and I think they would fit under the tip over wings without risk of damage but not sure.

As for Messengers front look I think you have taken the conspicuity concept to the max. I doubt you will ever hear "I didn't see him" from a cager. At least not from a cager less than 100 years old!

Thanks again,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #8 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 10:56 am

The Clearwater Glenda will mount to my K1200LT Bracket, with minor modificaton to existing kit. To mount Glenda, I would not press pemnut, as usual for the PIAA 1100X.
I would then drill that hole out, to accomodate Clearwaters screw width, and since their screw is too long, based on thickness of my bracket, a shorter screw would have to be used to mount their light.

Only issue with this mount, is that fact that their Glenda does not have built-in vertical adjustment, so it could not be adjusted for vertical on the LT.

I built an adjustable version of the R1200RT kit for Motolight, as one of their lamps needed vertical adjustment, to the bracket has built-in adjustment for the light..

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #9 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 12:28 pm

If you are mostly concerned about being seen, I would suggest that you try mounting lights that don't necessarily have to be bright, but are hooked into a hi-low fluxuating system. Nothing catches the eye more than that. Thinking you could put one or two lower wattage lamps facing front, and wired into a system, but leave your HID out of that loop.
I would also suggest you check with your local traffic code to see limitations on lighting. Here in Oregon you can't have more than 3 on a motorcycle, and four on a car. Best be sure where you're at.
post #10 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Garage

Here is my "illuminating" set up. Thanks to Raffy (I hate it when he has a sale!) and the previous owners of Barbara. Starting at the bottom, Motolights and Piaa 1100 switched via a phoenix switch on the bar (Piaas slaved to the high beam) Hella FF50's via a relay tied to the seat and old style (huge transformers ) HID's I did replace the stock 55w bulbs in the Hella;s with 70W. but have to watch my amp draw (Luckily I have a meter on the dash!) When I get the time I will try to convert the Hella's to HID as well.

The guy behind me has stock Hella's and the stock LT headlight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3756__800x600_.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	27055  

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #11 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 6:06 pm

One thing to also keep in mind is that some states restrict the number of headlights and auxiliary lights that can be turned on simultaneously. In Washington State the limit is four forward illumination lights regardless of what they are called.

I am not suggesting you shouldn't build whatever kind of Christmas tree lighting arrangement you want, because people will do what people want to do. I just want to reduce the potential for a road range incident if you might actually get pulled over and ticketed. Big smileys here!

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #12 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

More good points. Thanks again.

The only thing I use the low beam circuit (I actually used the parking light) for is to trigger the relay to then pass on the 12V buss voltage from the battery through a fuse. I would never try to draw more current through the bike wiring ('cept maybe a few milliamps for the relay trigger). If I continue to do it this way I would still only have 3 front lights on when the low beam is selected which would keep me legal when I ride in Oregon. The LT headlight and the 2 fog lights under the wings. They wouldn't make me count that lame assed, slightly dimmer than a candle, but will run down your battery faster than a jackrabbit, parking light would they?????

I was planning to do the same thing for the Hellas except I would use the high beam circuit as the trigger for the relays to the Hella. At this point I would no longer be legal in the 2 states I ride in the most. I would be showing the headlight, driving lights (2), and the fog lamps (2 more) for a total of 5.

I don't want to punch any holes in the dash to mount switches so I guess I could investigate an Auto Switch with a relay requiring 2 trigger sources. On low beam all would be good with the fog lights but when switching to high beam I would have to switch the AutoSwitch and lose one of the inputs to the relay thereby shutting down the fog lights at which time I would be back to 3 lights which would be legal in Oregon and Washington.

If I showed 5 lights on high beam only (LT headlight + 2 foggers + 2 driving lights) do you think LEO would still bust my chops? Probably huh?

If I convert all these lights to HID it will look like the sun came out at midnight!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #13 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Garage

IMHO, you have about the same chance of a cop giving you a ticket for excessive lights as a harley with illegal pipe has of getting one... The choice is yours but after the third (in one day) a$$hole pulling infront of me, this was my solve. It hasn't happened since and I have the added benefit of those in front of me pulling over to the right when I am behind them . I routinely ride with them all on, an rarely have anyone flash (too bright) me from on coming traffic. I tend to ride at night as a necessity sooooo. Its not for everyone!

And Yes, California is a 4 forward state. But if you think about it, the cop is behind you when they go to give you a performance award!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
One thing to also keep in mind is that some states restrict the number of headlights and auxiliary lights that can be turned on simultaneously. In Washington State the limit is four forward illumination lights regardless of what they are called.

I am not suggesting you shouldn't build whatever kind of Christmas tree lighting arrangement you want, because people will do what people want to do. I just want to reduce the potential for a road range incident if you might actually get pulled over and ticketed. Big smileys here!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #14 of 22 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
I had the same set up as messenger13 sans the cheesy Walmart lights. A new alternative to the Motolights are the Clearwater lights, which are HID bright, dim-able, come in Amber, go to full brightness with high beam activation and oh yeah, you won't need to change out bulbs...grin. Yes, you will need custom mounting brackets to mimick what Messenger 13 has, but I am sure someone on this list can come up with something....grin.
I have fork mount Motolights (calipers weren't available yet) on my 2001 LT.
I also have PIAA 1100XX mounted in the cowling.

I switched to the Clearwater Glendas on my 2009 R1200GS Adventure.
3 high performance LED bulbs per light; 15W draw per light.
30W per set versus 55W per light (110W total) for the Motolights.

Yes, I could have ordered the Motolights w/LEDs,
but wanted to test the quality of the Glendas.

Excellent quality and workmanship.
Great product support and follow up.

A point of consideration on light placement:
Be careful not to obscure your turn signals by the placement of your auxiliary lights.
post #15 of 22 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 10:56 am

Could you post some pics. of the Clearwater lights on your GS? I'm looking for auxilliary lighting for my GS and the Clearwater's are on the short list. Thanks.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #16 of 22 Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:00 am

Smile Re: Qustion for the multitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
I have fork mount Motolights (calipers weren't available yet) on my 2001 LT.
I also have PIAA 1100XX mounted in the cowling.

I switched to the Clearwater Glendas on my 2009 R1200GS Adventure.
3 high performance LED bulbs per light; 15W draw per light.
30W per set versus 55W per light (110W total) for the Motolights.

Yes, I could have ordered the Motolights w/LEDs,
but wanted to test the quality of the Glendas.

Excellent quality and workmanship.
Great product support and follow up.

A point of consideration on light placement:
Be careful not to obscure your turn signals by the placement of your auxiliary lights.
Correction on the clearwater lights, they draw 14 watts for both lights !!! So no worries about amp. draw.

I will post some pictures of my GSA with both Fork mounted and Crash bar mounted amber and white Glenda lights from Clearwater, Hopefully will have the new Krista lights later this week and will include pictures of those also.

The new Krista's replace the existing BMW Foglights and plug into existing BMW wiring, They will be 26Watts for ea. light and have the light throw and brightness of HID, with the benifit of no ballast or bulb to burn out...grin, well, not till after 50K hours ! One of the main benifits of the clearwater lights is that they all come with dimmers, so during the day you run full brightness, but at night cut the brightness down so you don't annoy fellow riders you are driving behind. And they go to full brightness when you hit your High beams !

Just a satisfied Customer looking for a better alternative to constantly changing bulbs.
I now work for Clearwater part time designing M/C mounting brackets for their lights
post #17 of 22 Old Apr 26th, 2010, 1:46 pm

I have to respectfully disagree with those that run a multitude of lights in the name of conspiquity. Please allow me to explain, then flame me, k?
I've lived my life intending to be as nonintrusive to others as possible. Maybe you've never been flashed, but you know yourself that those lights bother others. For example, running high beam during daylight hours (here in Oregon) is not illegal, but it is annoying. As many as have annoyed me, I've never flashed them. The statement that others in front of you pull over is a clear indication of annoyance, at least in my humble opinion.

If one were to believe that safety, conspiquity, were your true goals, we'd see it in your attire: reflective vest and/or brightly colored helmets. I see none of that, so must draw my own conclusions. And let me emphasize that those are MY own conclusions.

Were I too be truly concerned with being seen, I would opt for those "cheezy" lights in the vents under the head light, and hook them into a modulator. Having been in law enforcement for 26 years, I'll argue to my death that the modulating lights serve a better purpose than the multitude of annoying lights.

The opinions stated here are mine and mine alone, and do not reflect (no pun intended) those of the "multitudes" addressed here.

Flame on!!!
post #18 of 22 Old Apr 26th, 2010, 2:12 pm

During one of my rides with Tony (Deputy5211) behind me I noticed that his HID kind of got lost in the sunlight while his amber motolights made him more visible during daytime by quite a great deal. I guess variety may be key in being conspicuous...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #19 of 22 Old Apr 26th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Thumbs up Re: Qustion for the multitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
During one of my rides with Tony (Deputy5211) behind me I noticed that his HID kind of got lost in the sunlight while his amber motolights made him more visible during daytime by quite a great deal. I guess variety may be key in being conspicuous...

I agree. When I got my LT the first add-on was a set of Moto Lights with amber bulbs. I have gotten so many positive comments on their effectiveness in daylight riding. There is something about those 50 watt amber lights that make you stand out from the rest. Mine are on all the time. I also have PIAA 1100's under the fairing that are switched and I use them when running interstate or for night riding.

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #20 of 22 Old Apr 26th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
If I showed 5 lights on high beam only (LT headlight + 2 foggers + 2 driving lights) do you think LEO would still bust my chops? Probably huh?
Actually this is the same kind of setup I have. I have Lumalink driving lights on an Autoswitch and FF50s slaved to my High Beam.

I agree that a LEO would likely need to be very bored or annoyed to ticket someone for excess lighting. I am just stating the facts of the situation.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #21 of 22 Old Apr 26th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Garage

No flame, just love! Let me know when you are going to be over in Redmond. I'll turn a set or two off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I have to respectfully disagree with those that run a multitude of lights in the name of conspiquity. Please allow me to explain, then flame me, k?
I've lived my life intending to be as nonintrusive to others as possible. Maybe you've never been flashed, but you know yourself that those lights bother others. For example, running high beam during daylight hours (here in Oregon) is not illegal, but it is annoying. As many as have annoyed me, I've never flashed them. The statement that others in front of you pull over is a clear indication of annoyance, at least in my humble opinion.

If one were to believe that safety, conspiquity, were your true goals, we'd see it in your attire: reflective vest and/or brightly colored helmets. I see none of that, so must draw my own conclusions. And let me emphasize that those are MY own conclusions.

Were I too be truly concerned with being seen, I would opt for those "cheezy" lights in the vents under the head light, and hook them into a modulator. Having been in law enforcement for 26 years, I'll argue to my death that the modulating lights serve a better purpose than the multitude of annoying lights.

The opinions stated here are mine and mine alone, and do not reflect (no pun intended) those of the "multitudes" addressed here.

Flame on!!!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #22 of 22 Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:58 pm

Hey! I live 12 miles from Redmond. Are you coming up for the big event in July? Bet I can find you!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in