HID Lighting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Question HID Lighting

I just installed HID on my 05 LT, i installed 10,000k lights. works great for about 15ft. after that, i can't see the road... What should i do to try and focus the light??? do they sell a after market Projection housing for the LT's?? Any help would be great!!!

Jack Bland III

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 BMW K1200LT
1993 Honda CBR900RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 10:08 pm

Re: HID Lighting

There is a knob on your dash that will adjust how the light is directed....

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 10:21 pm

10,000 Degrees Kelvin? Really ?

IT's way too purple to be usefull. That's most of your issue...Plus around here It'll get you a ticket.

Get a 4300K lamp for it and you'll make some light...4300-5000K is the most visible light.

At 10,000K it's close to useless....You're making probably less visible light than your old halogen...Probably looks cool though, huh ? Cool don't cut it in this area....

The headlamp has a pretty sharp top cut off so you can adjust it with the adjuster to be higher for the load you're carrying.

When I put the 5000K HID's on my LT it was Unbelievable...The high beam was like a train locomotive...IT was like daylight...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Last edited by JPSpen; Mar 21st, 2010 at 10:35 pm.

post #4 of 23 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 10:23 pm

your HID capsule is too hot.. 4300-5000k is the "whitest"...
post #5 of 23 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 11:32 pm

Yup. What the man says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
... At 10,000K it's close to useless....You're making probably less visible light than your old halogen...Probably looks cool though, huh ? Cool don't cut it in this area.... ...
Exactly. I have 5000K lamps on my bikes and they work great - but still are a bit bluish. I just bought a 4300K kit to get more white light (that is the OEM color on cars equipped with factory HID's). By the way, my 5000K set did not pass state inspection: rejected for "blue lamp".

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #6 of 23 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 1:01 am

Sorry dude. You have to change out your lamp to a lower temp. As said above, 4300 to 5000*K.

Hopefully you went with 35 W for the low beam otherwise you are going to piss off the folks in front of you. Oncoming cars flipping their brights because they think you are on bright is very uncomfortable.

Quiet pipes loud lights - Just as bad as loud pipes!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 23 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Question Re: HID Lighting

Thanks everyone all the input... anyone want some cheap HID's?? i have 2.. Now time to order the right ones.

Jack Bland III

2005 BMW K1200LT
1993 Honda CBR900RR
post #8 of 23 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 8:48 pm

Hi have both H\L 5000K Bright day light from DDM HID lights for LT

and extreamly good for dark riding.

in the other hand it' wont matter what set of ights you have they are always bright agin car riders in here as they are not use to see bright lights and constantly blinking lights to me,, but when i turn on highlights whey will turn they lights down

also here i dont have to worry about inspections as they are not consern about light.
post #9 of 23 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 9:16 pm

Put 'em on Craigslist and sell them about the time you get your replacements. This way you can demo that they work while still installed on your bike.

I'll bet you could get some tuner car owners to buy them, or at least take them off your hands. Or maybe a squidder.

Sorry it worked out this way for you. You are going to love the new ones though.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbland3
Thanks everyone all the input... anyone want some cheap HID's?? i have 2.. Now time to order the right ones.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #10 of 23 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 9:23 pm

You don't need to throw the whole mess away since you've installed it already.

Just order the 4300K lamps from whomever you got your kit from...

Only the lamp itself needs to be changed. The power supply is the same for all..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #11 of 23 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:09 pm

Quote:
You don't need to throw the whole mess away since you've installed it already.

Just order the 4300K lamps from whomever you got your kit from...

Only the lamp itself needs to be changed. The power supply is the same for all..

John
+2 It will be your cheapest option. Or go back to whom you bought them from and tell them you ordered the wrong bulb. Maybe they will do a swap with you or give you a break on the the 4300K bulbs. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 4:11 am
Enjoy The Ride

My CQ HID light kit came with a 8000k bulb. I ordered a spare bulb when I bought the kit & for some reason they sent a 10,000k bulb. The 8000k bulb works fine for me. I have not installed the 10,000k bulb to see what it looks like. Maybe I should send it back & get the 5000k or the 8000k for a spare instead.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #13 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 6:06 am

Thumbs down Re: HID Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
----------------------------snipped--------------- The 8000k bulb works fine for me. --------------------------------------------snipped-------------
It may work for you, like loud pipes work for some cruiser riders. However, the big issue is that it does not work for the people in front of you. Like loud pipes, blue lights piss off others. That is OK with you? In some areas blue lights WILL get you noticed, by LEO's.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 7:29 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
It may work for you, like loud pipes work for some cruiser riders. However, the big issue is that it does not work for the people in front of you. Like loud pipes, blue lights piss off others. That is OK with you? In some areas blue lights WILL get you noticed, by LEO's.
It's been 32,241 miles since I installed my HID. I've been in 25 states,nobody flashes there bright lights at me & half of the people I work with that I have followed to work in the dark have said it's bright but it doesn't bother them. I ask every time I get behind somebody on the way to work that I haven't followed before. I like the blue light in the day with my other two yellow small lights below it.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 23 Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: HID Lighting

i called to place i ordered the kit from, and they are sending me replacements at 4300k. ($15 a set) Should see them soon. As for the blue 10,000k lights, they are great for 15ft-20ft, but after that i can't see the road... i hope the new ones work better...
Once a gain, thanks for all the help you all have to offer..
Next time i will ask befor i order anything else!!!

Jack Bland III

2005 BMW K1200LT
1993 Honda CBR900RR
post #16 of 23 Old Aug 16th, 2010, 7:01 am

Smile Re: HID Lighting

How is the instalation of the HID kit? Is it difficult..whats involved? Ive only had my 03 LT a few mths.

Macca

Regards Macca

DILLIGAF
Black 87 K100RS
03 K1200LT

Silver

post #17 of 23 Old Aug 17th, 2010, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

The installation of the HID kits is real easy.. took me about 20-30 mins. Now i like what a see at night. Much better output. Thanks everyone for your inputs...

Jack Bland III

2005 BMW K1200LT
1993 Honda CBR900RR
post #18 of 23 Old Aug 18th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Rigger394 ,

Here are some pretty good DIY threads about how to install an HID kit on the LT:

http://www.KBcarstuff.com/BMW-K1200L...rade-s/171.htm

http://www.KBcarstuff.com/BMW-K1200L...D-kit-s/64.htm

http://www.KBcarstuff.com/BMW-K1200R...-kit-s/217.htm

Those links feature our older Motorcycle HID Kit . Our new style motorcycle kit feature much slimmer ballasts that are low draw meaning that you can safely power them directly from the OEM Headlight wiring. We still use genuine German made Philips bulbs to ensure the brightest and most durable light output.

Steve

Use our
tool to find the right lighting for your BMW LT, and the most up-to-date BMW LT lamp replacement guide!

1-877-522-2701 |

post #19 of 23 Old Aug 18th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Rigger394 ,

Here are some pretty good DIY threads about how to install an HID kit on the LT:

http://www.KBcarstuff.com/BMW-K1200L...rade-s/171.htm

http://www.KBcarstuff.com/BMW-K1200L...D-kit-s/64.htm

http://www.KBcarstuff.com/BMW-K1200R...-kit-s/217.htm

Those links feature our older Motorcycle HID Kit . Our new style motorcycle kit feature much slimmer ballasts that are low draw meaning that you can safely power them directly from the OEM Headlight wiring. We still use genuine German made Philips bulbs to ensure the brightest and most durable light output.

Steve
But why .... here the same thing, compact ballast and all.
Just stupid inexpensive now at $22.50 for a single bulb H.I.D. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/D...orcycle-HID-Kit

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #20 of 23 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 9:03 pm

Quote:
10,000 Degrees Kelvin? Really ?

IT's way too purple to be usefull. That's most of your issue...Plus around here It'll get you a ticket.

Get a 4300K lamp for it and you'll make some light...4300-5000K is the most visible light.

At 10,000K it's close to useless....You're making probably less visible light than your old halogen...Probably looks cool though, huh ? Cool don't cut it in this area....

The headlamp has a pretty sharp top cut off so you can adjust it with the adjuster to be higher for the load you're carrying.

When I put the 5000K HID's on my LT it was Unbelievable...The high beam was like a train locomotive...IT was like daylight...

John
10k is out of the normal visible light... it is blue light, right????
i just get VVME 43k hid installed in my 05 LT , very bright in night......

i think 43k to 6k is the most visible lights cos the color above 6k sharp others' eyes in night.....
post #21 of 23 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 9:43 pm

BMWRunner, you are correct. 4300*K to 6000*K are the lights you want to use. Anything above 6000*K is way too blue to be useful. I use 5000*K and very occasionally wish I had gone with the 4000*K lights so driving lights and headlight colors match.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrunner
10k is out of the normal visible light... it is blue light, right????
i just get VVME 43k hid installed in my 05 LT , very bright in night......

i think 43k to 6k is the most visible lights cos the color above 6k sharp others' eyes in night.....

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #22 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:01 am

4300k is definitely you want to go for the brightest and most functional light output. You lose about 20% of useable light output going from 4300k to 6000k.

Steve

Use our
tool to find the right lighting for your BMW LT, and the most up-to-date BMW LT lamp replacement guide!

1-877-522-2701 |

post #23 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Also, make sure bulb is seated properly. My HID low went out awhile back, so I installed a new DDM Tuning one in it. Had my son(27) put the bulb in since he had a lot smaller hands. Took it out for a night spin & couldn't wait to get back home. Light was only 15 to 25 feet down the road. Posted here about it & RocDoc mentioned that he seated his improperly one time when out on the road. So, I went back and checked. Turned the bulb about a quarter turn & felt it pop into place. Before I started the check-out I put the bike on the lift and turned the lights on. Made a mark on the back wall (@5ft from the headlight) to about where the center of the beam was. Made the adjustment and turned the lights back on. The center of the beam was a good 6 or 7 inches higher than before. Now everything is back to normal and I can see the deer eyes way down the road...in the open.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in