HID 35W or 55W - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

HID 35W or 55W

Which Watt HID for 2000 K1200LT lowbeam. Lowbeam is a H7? Now should I order the 35W or the 55W. Stock is 55W and I want all the light I can get since I'm only doing the lowbeam. DDM Tuning states. Our 55w HID kit is not recommended for smaller fog housings because they tend to concentrate a large amount of heat in a small area. Can I safely install the 55W or will it be to much heat in the housing?

To get the most amount of light should I get the 4500k or the 5000k?

Thanks

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:29 pm

Re: HID 35W or 55W

4500K is your best bet for color temperature.

I'd stick with the 35 watt. That's plenty bright..

55W might get you looked at by the man...

It probably wouldn't hurt the housing though...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:49 pm

I am installing the high and low beam in the 55w at 8000 as the color gets washed out with the higher wattage. I also am not using the bike's power but rather that from the battery directly however. I don't want to have to add additional lighting to be seen and I can adjust the direction with a twist so if at the worst I have a very brightly illuminated front tire

I had a 35 W system powered by the bikes power and it fried my wiring harness. I'm not saying this is common but that was my experience.

And before you ask, there is very little difference in draw between 35W and 55W other than at lamp start up.

Check my current thread. I will post pictures and videos when I'm done.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
I am installing the high and low beam in the 55w at 8000 as the color gets washed out with the higher wattage. ---------------------------------.
The color is going to be 8000 Kelvin no matter the wattage. HID bulbs do not change color as the wattage goes up like a filament type bulb does.

I would not use 8000K, too blue, will possibly get you unwanted attention from LEO's and disgust from oncoming drivers. Especially at 55W! That is going to be TOO MUCH light for normal driving. Out on the open road with few oncoming drivers, good. Most other times, you will just be pissing off everyone in front of you with too bright, and too blue.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 2:14 pm

35W is PLENTY for low beam. You will be amazed at how much intense light you will get from 35W. You will light up reflective road signs in the daytime with a DDM-Tuning 35W setup. I know. I have one and I'm sure you wont be disappointed!

I went with 5000* K as I like the whitest white. 4300 to 5000 will be fine but you will notice the lower temp(K) will be more yellow. This isn't a bad thing just different.

I have read that watt for watt HID runs cooler than quartz.Anybody able to cite?

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 4:53 am

Hi Jim

I'm running the DDM 55Watt/5000K low beam kit in my '99LT with awesome results. I use the headlight adjuster to fine tune the headlight angle to avoid dazling other road users....too much. I can highly recommend going for it.

Paul Harrington
AU

E: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 5:43 am

8000K is going to be bright BLUE which will get you noticed and very likely pulled on a regular basis. Also the light output diminishes as you go past 5000K.

The maximum light output per Watt is around 4500K and is also just the yellow side of daylight, making it easier to be seen in daylight.

I use 5000K which can be difficult to notice in sunlight, so given the opportunity I would go to 4500K. Sadly they were unavailable when I did mine, but I can confirm that 35W is way more light than you can shake a stick at!

Just pussin' through.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in