Moto-light bulbs changed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

Moto-light bulbs changed

I've been having some flickering in one of the bulbs on the lower fork legs.....took it apart and found that the backside (where the pins come out, was cracked. So I replaced it with another bulb, and then got on-line to order some more. Of course I couldn't remember where I got these from, so I just entered in "USHIO Halogen MR16" in the search block and soon ended up looking at bulbs listed under" Maxxima" at this link
http://www.maxximastyle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? and don't ask me why I can't copy the link to the exact page.........but if you find THEIR search block and then enter MLB 16500S......... then click on your enter button.....you'll see what I ended up with.

And I'll tell you .....for 5 watts these little puppies look almost as bright as my HID's!! Yes, they are expensive....but hey.....they sure look cool.....aluminum fins and all.

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Re: Moto-light bulbs changed

Pat, How is the beam spread with these lights. I looked and yours has a 30 degree spread and the best I could find was 20 degrees. The standard Motolight halogen is 35 watt 8 degree with an optional 50 watt 12 degree, which I run, if I remember correctly.

From what I understand these appear to be significantly brighter. Any blinding problems for cars in front or in the other direction?

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 34 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Pat, How is the beam spread with these lights. I looked and yours has a 30 degree spread and the best I could find was 20 degrees. The standard Motolight halogen is 35 watt 8 degree with an optional 50 watt 12 degree, which I run, if I remember correctly.

From what I understand these appear to be significantly brighter. Any blinding problems for cars in front or in the other direction?

Hi Jack,
I put a set of the LED conversions that Raffy sells in my moto-lights and they are super bright too.. and the angle as I remember is very similar for beam width. HOWEVER.. these seem quite a bit cheaper.. If they work as well, you will be very happy with the results !!

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana

post #4 of 34 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
Hi Jack,
I put a set of the LED conversions that Raffy sells in my moto-lights and they are super bright too.. and the angle as I remember is very similar for beam width. HOWEVER.. these seem quite a bit cheaper.. If they work as well, you will be very happy with the results !!
I have the first version of the LED bulbs from Raffy, Quite happy with the looks. The new one he sells has a tighter beam. 45 vs 30????. Not sure, but the ones the OP has found are a third of the price. Not sure you are going to get the same output as Raffy's but worth the price of admission. Hell if you don't like them post them and I am sure you could get most of your money out of the deal...Worth a try IMHO....

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #5 of 34 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
Hi Jack,
Hey Bill, I saw your post I'm not quite sure I want one with a wide beam. I saw a set of Motolights on a warm day a few weeks ago and they had awesome bright lamps. I figured they were LEDs and they were very noticeable during the day.. Wondered how they are during the night. I don't need any side lights since I converted my under mirror Hella Fog Lights to HID.

Have you used them at night? Any flashes..or back window light up problems?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #6 of 34 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 6:49 am

Garage

I ordered mine last night. I hope to get similar light from this unit to replace my two motolight 50w. bulbs

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #7 of 34 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 8:43 am

Quote:
Hey Bill, I saw your post I'm not quite sure I want one with a wide beam. I saw a set of Motolights on a warm day a few weeks ago and they had awesome bright lamps. I figured they were LEDs and they were very noticeable during the day.. Wondered how they are during the night. I don't need any side lights since I converted my under mirror Hella Fog Lights to HID.

Have you used them at night? Any flashes..or back window light up problems?
Hi Jack,
Yes I have used them at night and the light is superior to the original bulbs. Also I did not get any requests to dim from oncoming cars.. Yet the guys that were riding with me told me they REALLY knew I was there !

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #8 of 34 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 5:36 pm

I think I will get a set and add them to my spring maintenance plan. I would like to get a narrow beam similar to what I have an stay closer with the original design spec, I'm used the 50W 12 degree lamps originally. So I have to see what I can find.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #9 of 34 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 7:40 pm

I buy from here. Very reasonable. I use the 50w 12d in YELLOW. For some reason the difference in color seems to make the bike more conspicuous.

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/MR16

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B
post #10 of 34 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFineRide
I buy from here. Very reasonable. I use the 50w 12d in YELLOW. For some reason the difference in color seems to make the bike more conspicuous.

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/MR16
Nice find. They have some 7 degree spread lights in the premium section.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 34 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 8:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON
I've been having some flickering in one of the bulbs on the lower fork legs.....took it apart and found that the backside (where the pins come out, was cracked. So I replaced it with another bulb, and then got on-line to order some more. Of course I couldn't remember where I got these from, so I just entered in "USHIO Halogen MR16" in the search block and soon ended up looking at bulbs listed under" Maxxima" at this link
http://www.maxximastyle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? and don't ask me why I can't copy the link to the exact page.........but if you find THEIR search block and then enter MLB 16500S......... then click on your enter button.....you'll see what I ended up with.

And I'll tell you .....for 5 watts these little puppies look almost as bright as my HID's!! Yes, they are expensive....but hey.....they sure look cool.....aluminum fins and all.

Pat
Just wondering if the effectiveness of the heat sinks will be compromised by the Motolight enclosure and shorten the useful life of the bulbs.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #12 of 34 Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 5:31 pm

Garage

My bulbs came today. Turns out, the company is about 3 miles away from my house. Who Knew!

Here are the before pictures:

These are two 50W bulbs.

Here are the after:

The 50W bulbs always gave off a slightly yellow glow. The 5W bulbs are a much more white. I hope the pictures show how equal in brightness the two bulbs are. I don't believe I lost any brightness but I know the draw on the bike is much less.

Since I have my lights hardwired into a fuseblock that turns on with the key, this should put less stress on my battery on start up.

Very Cool! Well worth the $$$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0788.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	992.8 KB
ID:	26522   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0789.JPG
Views:	522
Size:	1,004.7 KB
ID:	26523   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0790.JPG
Views:	520
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	26524   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0791.JPG
Views:	526
Size:	982.2 KB
ID:	26525  

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

Last edited by RVB1019; Mar 2nd, 2010 at 5:46 pm.
post #13 of 34 Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 7:14 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Looks a lot brighter to me Rob. Any plans on changing your front tire before heading this way next month ?.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #14 of 34 Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 8:02 pm

Rob, How does the color compare to the HID color and what temp bulb do you have in your low beam?

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #15 of 34 Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 8:23 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Any plans on changing your front tire before heading this way next month ?.
Now where's the adventure in that?

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #16 of 34 Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 8:28 pm

Garage

Quote:
Rob, How does the color compare to the HID color and what temp bulb do you have in your low beam?
The color really does look much closer. I forget the temp on the HID I bought. I bought the CQHID kit three- four years ago through the Group Buy here.

The old lights looked slighly yellow. The LEDs really seem to match the HID's color.

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #17 of 34 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Garage

Took the LT out for a spin today. One of the bulbs start to flicker on and off. When I got home, I checked the housing and all my connections- all looked good. I swapped out the new bulb with one of the old ones. Light turned right on!

My guess- bad bulb. I will try emailing Maxxis tonight and hopefully they will respond. Great product and now a test of their customer service.

FWIW, I kinda like the way the 50W, the LED bulb and the HID look. The three points of light are now different colored.

Still- I paid $24 bucks for the thing- they better back it especially after it blowing after a 20 minute ride.

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #18 of 34 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Garage

Hmmmm.....I have tracking lighting in my kitchen that takes the MR16 bulb. I just plugged in the Maxxis and it works fine! No Flickering.

Any thoughts?

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #19 of 34 Old Mar 5th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Hi Rob,

That's a very strange situation. If it was the other way around--the bulb worked on the bike but not in the house, then I would say it's because you have an electronic ballast in the house and that LED bulb doesn't like it. Some LED bulbs work with electronic ballasts and some don't.

Try putting the Maxxis that still works on the bike in the other bulb housing and see what happens.

LED MR16 bulbs are designed to work at 12 VAC or VDC. The bike puts out about 13.8 volts when running. My far-fetched guess is maybe that one bulb has tolerances that make it not operate well at 13.8 volts, though I would think that it should handle upto 14 volts with no problem.

Anyway, I work with these types of bulbs all day long and your situation has me stumped. I'd sure be interested in hearing what the final solution is.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #20 of 34 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Looks a lot brighter to me Rob. Any plans on changing your front tire before heading this way next month ?.
Probably not, the last time he was here he thought he could make it home on a really ugly looking back tire. Is that the plan this time Rob?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #21 of 34 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Just wondering if the effectiveness of the heat sinks will be compromised by the Motolight enclosure and shorten the useful life of the bulbs.
I would doubt it. These as such low wattage units the aluminum is only there for show not heat dissipation. You've got to remember that these are primarly used for home and art lighting. LEDs put out a lot less heat than the comparable halogen units due. With these bulbs sitting in the normal exposed mount, the aluminum is just for show. JM2CW.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #22 of 34 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 6:13 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Probably not, the last time he was here he thought he could make it home on a really ugly looking back tire. Is that the plan this time Rob?
Why change now? Again, it only adds to the adventure!

FWIW, I reinstalled the bulb this morning, and it worked fine all morning long. However, by this afternoon, it was flickering again. Back it goes!

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #23 of 34 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Any hints on removing the ring around the Moto Light. Mine seem awfully tight and I didn't want to strip them. Maybe some penetrating solution?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #24 of 34 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Garage

Copied from a PM with permission from Patterson:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON
You might want to look for a crushed/separated wire in your harness first. I went thru the original Motolight bulb.....then a yellow motolight bulb and am now on the Maxxim LED's......kept having the flickering like you're talking about. Found that when I ran the wires up next to the fork leg....it was being pinched on hard right turns....and eventually separated completely. Yesterday, I cut and inserted a connector where it was broken (did BOTH wires) and then heat shrinked the whole thing again. I only found it after I noticed that when I turned the bars (lights ON and in the garage) they would flicker......so I went from one end and started wiggling the wires every couple inches until I found the break........

It appears that some folks on this board are awfully concerned with output, and coverage of these little lights......when they really are for BEING seen.....not actually SEEING with them....you know what I mean? After changing over to HID's (hi AND lo) a long while back.......that's really all I could ask for.....to be SEEN...

Something is wrong with my account and it won't let me respond to anything....so if you want to copy and paste this and put it back out there, feel free.

Almost forgot....speaking of LED's...I found replacement LED's for the pilot lights (the ones on each side of the Hi-beam) too.....yellow ones...those got changed out as well yesterday.

Pat
Received an email from the company last night. They will swap the bulb out for me THIS TIME. Since it was not designed for a motorcycle, they won't warranty it.

Patterson might be onto something but then again, if there is a kink or a short, wouldn't the old bulb flicker too?

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #25 of 34 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Any hints on removing the ring around the Moto Light. Mine seem awfully tight and I didn't want to strip them. Maybe some penetrating solution?
You could try a heat gun to loosen it up a little but be careful of the plastic bits.

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #26 of 34 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Quote:
Do you have the old style with the holes that uses the spanner wrench or the new style with the bumps that you are supposed to get off with your fingers.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #27 of 34 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Yes.

Mine did same thing and I used pb blaster on them. Let soak for 10 -15 minutes. Came off easily. I have the old style with the holes and wrench.

Use petroleum jelly on the threads or your favorite commercial product before screwing back on.

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B
post #28 of 34 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 8:21 am

Quote:
Do you have the old style with the holes that uses the spanner wrench or the new style with the bumps that you are supposed to get off with your fingers.
---been away for a while- I've got the older style with the holes around the rim and a "special" wrench. I'm going to try a little blaster and see how it is when I get back next week.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #29 of 34 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 1:55 pm

That is good if you have the spanner wrench. I took mine off while I was on a tour with a vise grip and two small nails I bought at Home Depot. Little scary but it came off with steady pressure. If you have the wrench you should be good to go. Just make sure the wrench stays flat on the ring.

You might try warming the metal with a hair dryer if your bulb is defective.There is a rubber washer behind the ring.. Don't melt it.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #30 of 34 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 2:37 pm

I use an anti-seize agent on the threads. I purchased it from NAPA. Never have a problem removing the bezel.
post #31 of 34 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 2:50 pm

These lights with the fin housing will not work. It does not create a good seal. You need an LED with a nice rim. I have used this one and works fine. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30208
post #32 of 34 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I would doubt it. These as such low wattage units the aluminum is only there for show not heat dissipation. You've got to remember that these are primarly used for home and art lighting. LEDs put out a lot less heat than the comparable halogen units due. With these bulbs sitting in the normal exposed mount, the aluminum is just for show. JM2CW.
These lights with the fin housing will not work. It does not create a good seal. You need an LED with a nice rim. I have used this one and works fine. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30208
post #33 of 34 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 6:40 pm

Garage

Well, I put the replacement bulb in and the lights work great!

I had my bike in the shop this week to have new SS brake lines installed. Either the bulb was bad or my mechanic fix the kink in the line. Either way, the lights work great!

Even in the morning glare, guys in the club remarked about how bright these bad boys are.

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #34 of 34 Old May 9th, 2010, 9:01 am
Super Moderator

Talked to Dan Hansen at Motolight and got some insight as to the LED bulbs they supply - it is a narrow (not sure of the angle) beam 4w single bulb element. They sell the two bulbs for over $100. In talking with Dan he talked about Motolights in general, the goal of their lighting products in general is:

First - is to be seen
Second - to see better

The reason for the LED product was two fold: to place on vehicles where the primary lights are not all that good so the driver could see better (scooters for example) and second to compliment (match color values) for those bikes with HIDs and to maintain the light triangle thus "to be seen". I believe if you are running HIDs I would not necessarily expect the LEDs to compete with the HID from a driver visibility perspective.

The one issue we talked about is people in general using HID and LED products and spraying the road with light that is not properly focused, very annoying to others and possibly unsafe!! I agreed that many people to save money are just uninformed and are buying bulbs with reflectors that are not designed nor intended for the automotive market. So make sure you just are not popping on some LEDs with reflectors meant for display cabinets!!! - that's just not the right application!!

I will be driving over to Motolight on my lunch break next week and checking these LEDs lights out . . .

That's my 2 cents worth and I am sticking to it . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in