Advice needed on driving lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 15th, 2010, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Advice needed on driving lights

I need a little input from some of the experienced riders on the group.
I am going to add some lights to my R1150RT for general night driving and need some advice.

Which would be more useful, a driving light that extends a light beam in a narrow pattern.
Or a fog light that throws a shorter wider beam (that might be more useful for driving on corners)
I keep going back and forth on what would be more useful. I am putting these on a faring bracket
That mounts under the oil cooler.

The lights I am considering are;
PIAA 1192 Platinum 1100X Super White Dichroic Driving
PIAA 1451 1400 Series Dichroic Ion Crystal Black Fog Lamp

I would appreciate any advice you might have

jadm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 16th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Re: Advice needed on driving lights

check the "sponsors" of this site.. great products.. especially the HID stuff... especially on MC because after the "start up" of HID's they pull very little power.... and give back way more in light.
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 13th, 2010, 10:45 am

Lots of riders have made the same choice you are considering. Do a thread search, and you will see all the things good or bad they have to say about them. Generally the narrow beam lights give the good light for the open road, so one can see out far enough ahead and not overdrive their ability to see what lies ahead. Whereas the wide beam is for side illumination and is good to see in the canyons with twistys, again so one can see what they're riding into. The first lighting upgrade, in the humble opinion of most of us, should be the lowbeam to HID upgrade. This is a bang for buck issue. Hope this helps.
Regards, Don Miller

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 15th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADM
I need a little input from some of the experienced riders on the group.
I am going to add some lights to my R1150RT for general night driving and need some advice.

Which would be more useful, a driving light that extends a light beam in a narrow pattern.
Or a fog light that throws a shorter wider beam (that might be more useful for driving on corners)
I keep going back and forth on what would be more useful. I am putting these on a faring bracket
That mounts under the oil cooler.

jadm
Great Question, Everyone pretty much answered your question but here is my 2 cents as well. Hope it helps.

Most riders find that their stock lighting is average at best. The best upgrade would extended the light pattern further and wider . My rule of thumb is that you can never have enough light.

There are 3 ways that you can accomplish this, first you can use the external lights but this requires a little most time and cost investment. The other option is upgrading your halogen light to a "brighter" (higher wattage) halogen bulb. I do not recommend this for a few reasons. First the higher wattage puts an increase strain on the electrical system and normally only last for a few months.

The other option as people have stated are HID or High Intensity Discharge or Xenon. This utilizes a different technology with a xenon bulb and a ballast. The advantage of this is that it is a direct factory replacement, meaning it replaces your dated halogen bulbs with no external reflector necessary. HID conversion kits are either 35w or 55w. The 35 produce around 300% more light and have a wider longer beam pattern.

If this is still not enough you can then add the external lights to the bike and now you will have more wattage to spear because of the HID lights.

Hope this helps. Zach

BMW Page: http://1offmotorsports.com/p-1463-bmw-touring.html
Phone: 888.225.6418
Ride safe

Last edited by 1offmotorsports; Feb 15th, 2010 at 11:42 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in