HID Kit from CQLight.ca . . . am I the only one? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 1:49 am Thread Starter

Question HID Kit from CQLight.ca . . . am I the only one?

I was messing around out in the garage tonight with my babies. Before heading to bed, I decided to unpack my new HID kit and just kinda throw it up in place to see what a difference it was going to make. I removed my old H7 bulb and just kinda set the HID kit atop the fender. Put the HID bulb in place, then started making all the connections. When it came time to make the last connection, I ran into a slight problem. The stock H7 connector that used to go to my old halogen bulb does not fit into the input of the ballast! This is really no big deal as I'm planning on making all of my own connectors anyway, but it did surprise me. Has anyone else run into any thing like this on your CQLight.ca HID Kit?

I did rig up two jumper cables real quick just to check out the light. WOW!!! Very nice. Very very nice. If you're on the fence about getting an HID kit, get off it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 5:01 am

Got mine done

Orlando BMW did my conversion...both lights....they turn night into day...The tech there, Todd, did a first class job on it...mounted the ballast inside the frame on the brackets provided...I know he cut some wires and redid some connections....if you have any questions the forum members cant handle, the guys there would probably be glad to help. email [email protected] . Jason is the service manager, Wally the parts manager...two great guys.
Also, most impressive is the new tail light led kit they put on for me....just came out and it will probably annoy those behind you..
Ride safe,
Ron
post #3 of 31 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 7:48 am Thread Starter

No, it's not a matter of needing help . . . like I said in my original post. I just haven't heard anyone else comment that their kit wasn't truly plug-n-play. I am going to be installing an AutoSwitch and relay setup on mine so I can turn my HID off when I want to (upon engine start-ups, working in the garage, etc...). So this isn't a big problem . . . just more of a curiosity thang.

post #4 of 31 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 8:48 am

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I was messing around out in the garage tonight with my babies. Before heading to bed, I decided to unpack my new HID kit and just kinda throw it up in place to see what a difference it was going to make. I removed my old H7 bulb and just kinda set the HID kit atop the fender. Put the HID bulb in place, then started making all the connections. When it came time to make the last connection, I ran into a slight problem. The stock H7 connector that used to go to my old halogen bulb does not fit into the input of the ballast! This is really no big deal as I'm planning on making all of my own connectors anyway, but it did surprise me. Has anyone else run into any thing like this on your CQLight.ca HID Kit?

I did rig up two jumper cables real quick just to check out the light. WOW!!! Very nice. Very very nice. If you're on the fence about getting an HID kit, get off it!
Joe,

I bought the same kit about two months ago and my stock H7 plug fit the ballast input just fine. They must have given you a different connector on the ballast. Oh well, jot worth returning the entire kit. You'll enjoy the HID. When I got mine, I found myself wanting to drive in the darkest places to just see the light, pretty dumb huh.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #5 of 31 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:02 am

You should have gotten a power cable to plug into the ballast, at least every one I have ever seen or installed came with one.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 31 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor
Joe,

I bought the same kit about two months ago and my stock H7 plug fit the ballast input just fine. They must have given you a different connector on the ballast. Oh well, jot worth returning the entire kit. You'll enjoy the HID. When I got mine, I found myself wanting to drive in the darkest places to just see the light, pretty dumb huh.
Yea...I think they just accidentally shipped me the wrong kit. (Perhaps an H11 connector? ) Like I said, it's no biggie. I'm going to install a relay and AutoSwitch onto mine so I'll be "tweaking" the connectors anyway. Sounds like a great time to start using my new Anderson PowerPole connectors.

For any lurkers out there reading this thread . . . I find the quality of this unit to be excellent. I was VERY impressed with the build quality of the connectors, cables, and ballast housing. The 2 supplied mounting plates were also a pleasant surprise. I know a lot of other kits do not come with mounting hardware.
post #7 of 31 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Yeah, It seems like I remember filing down the blade to make it fit in the LT's socket....

not a big deal though...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 31 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:45 pm

Question Mount option

Joe what configuration were you going to use to mount the ballast and ignitor? My CQ kit just came in yesterday and I have'nt found very many pics on mounting options. The one of sticky taping it above the headlight assembly looks clean and easy butt will the tape hold up over time and weather changes??? I welcome your two-cents..............

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #9 of 31 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

I haven't been able to get to the nose cone removal yet...(I've been working on my Ninja...Bad Joe!) I probably wouldn't use double-sided tape for the reasons you've already stated. I might go with 3M Dual-locks though. You know...the Velcro-like hard tabs that lock together.

Did your kit come with the two metal plates for mounting? I might just use little screws and be done with it. I'm hoping to get to the install early next week. I think I said that two weeks ago though!
post #10 of 31 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 8:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjrieth
... Also, most impressive is the new tail light led kit they put on for me....just came out and it will probably annoy those behind you..
Ride safe,
Ron
Ron, can you post a photo please? Inquiring minds... Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 31 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 9:57 am

Joe, Where did you get the kit? Is there a model number? What is the cost? Thanks.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #12 of 31 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
Joe, Where did you get the kit? Is there a model number? What is the cost? Thanks.
$128 + change, to my door.
post #13 of 31 Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:26 am

Wow...great price. I await your review. The dealer quote for an HID was $1200 installed. I've seen other kits for around $450-$500, but they all required cutting the socket mount and wiring. If this installs "plug and play" it could be the one. Thanks for the info.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #14 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 3:25 pm

Hello Joe,

I just ordered mine also, I went for a dual kit H3 and H7 and I choose the 6500 colour. Which colour did you got for?

If you would post some pics of the mounting, it would be great.

Are you tempted to go for the the motolights now also, not for more light but for 1) greater visibility and 2) cool look?

Thanks

Mark

Mark Breen

Ireland

K1200LT & R1100RT

728i Also
post #15 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbreen
I just ordered mine also, I went for a dual kit H3 and H7 and I choose the 6500 colour. Which colour did you got for?
I went with the 5000 kit. I might go with the 6500 on my Ninja though. Just for "the look".

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbreen
Are you tempted to go for the the motolights now also, not for more light but for 1) greater visibility and 2) cool look?
Two sets of MotoLights were my very first mod to my LT...way before I knew about this forum. (see pic)

post #16 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman
Joe what configuration were you going to use to mount the ballast and ignitor? My CQ kit just came in yesterday and I have'nt found very many pics on mounting options. The one of sticky taping it above the headlight assembly looks clean and easy butt will the tape hold up over time and weather changes??? I welcome your two-cents..............
I didn't get their kit but have had my ballast on top of the assembly since 2002, about 70k and no problems. It is probably one of the cleanest places on the bike.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #17 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 4:58 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Mark,

You really want to call them back and change to the 5000K bulbs before they ship. The higher temp bulbs shift the light color some, but put out way less useable light. The point is for you to see further down the road, not to look like some poser street racer.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 9:18 pm

I ordered the CQ low beam kit the same day Joe ordered his.
That means its been installed on my bike about 2 weeks now,
I finally had the chance to take it out after dark last night,
rode out of town a little to the darkest road I know of.
I can sum up my impression in one word.

WOW

In my not so humble opinion, this is some of the best money I've spent on my bike.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #19 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 9:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
WOW
Yeah, we know.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #20 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I ordered the CQ low beam kit the same day Joe ordered his.
That means its been installed on my bike about 2 weeks now...
Yea but...what mods have you been doing to your other bike? I'm in the garage now as I type this. Looks like a freakin' bike "mod shop" in here. I'll get to the LT this week . . . *cough cough*

Hey...I have mine "hooked up"...just not "installed". Looks awesome!
post #21 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:28 pm

Mods

[QUOTE=messenger13]Yea but...what mods have you been doing to your other bike? I'm in the garage now as I type this. Looks like a freakin' bike "mod shop" in here.

I suppose your installing a map light on your Ninja! The one with the "third position" switch.
post #22 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyK
I suppose your installing a map light on your Ninja! The one with the "third position" switch.
Oh...I wish!
post #23 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:25 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I'll get to the LT this week . . . *cough cough*
You sound like me, Joe! I have SEVEN - count em - SEVEN extras to install in my LT including low beam HID - I was supposed to get this done over my three day "vacation" but life interrupted...

I did manage to make it down to the local BMW dealer and purchased the EIGHTH extra (pathBlazer) to add to the old girl. If I put off long enough I'll have a whole box of farkles needing installation...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #24 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Ron,

It's been a while since you posted this. Might you provide info on the rear LED unit you used, and whether you are still pleased with it? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjrieth
[...]
Also, most impressive is the new tail light led kit they put on for me....just came out and it will probably annoy those behind you..
Ride safe,
Ron

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #25 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 9:12 am
fas

Cool Looking for dark places

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor
Joe,

Joe,

A pal of mine has the Carrera 4S Porsche. We were riding in Tampa and he drove into a parking garage just to demo his lights! You're not the only one.

Let there be light.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #26 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 5:09 pm

H8000 or H10000

Has anyone figured out which is best, the CQ H8000 or H10000 HID conversion kit? Thx.
post #27 of 31 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 5:23 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Has anyone figured out which is best, the CQ H8000 or H10000 HID conversion kit? Thx.
Those kits give off a very blue light. Most of the board (Meself included) went with the 5000K.

Check out this thread for the group buy:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18011

and

This thread for the installation:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18357

Good Luck,

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Last edited by RVB1019; Feb 19th, 2007 at 5:29 pm.
post #28 of 31 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:51 am

Went with 6500

Thanks for the reply. I did some reading, and held my breath. I went with the 6500, for just a hint more of blue. My old engineering classes used to tell me that blue light waves travel better than white - so we'll see!
post #29 of 31 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:49 pm

Re: Went with 6500

I'm a little confused as to what type of HID Kit to get for my 2002 K1200LTC that I've just purchased. It's got the factory headlight in it and I would like to replace it after reading/seeing some of the posts/pictures. I'm looking at the following link provided by one of the threads, but must admit I'm confused as to what kit to buy: http://www.cqlight.ca

Thanks, Ernie
post #30 of 31 Old Jun 19th, 2008, 9:24 am

Re: HID Kit from CQLight.ca . . . am I the only one?

Ernie, the kit you want is the H7 5000K motorcycle kit (single bulb)
http://www.cqlight.ca/product_info.p...products_id=69

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #31 of 31 Old Oct 6th, 2014, 11:07 am

Re: HID Kit from CQLight.ca . . . am I the only one?

is cqlight still in business? I need to replace my old hid since the old 12 year old club failed….i can't find any thing them

thanks

OKU

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in