Clearwater Lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Clearwater Lights

Has anyone installed these on their BMW K1200LT themsleves. If so how hard is it. They want $255.00 + $475.00 for the light. Even the $455.00 is a stretch, no longer the labor charge. Please advise.

Clearwater

Life is all about attitude and the daily challenges it brings, however be who you want to be and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

Last edited by Ted Shred; Nov 19th, 2009 at 6:38 pm. Reason: fixed link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Re: Clearwater Lights

Wow they look good but man that's expensive

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 27 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 3:49 pm

A friend of mine installed them himself on his R1200RT, said it was challenging but no where near impossible, and I can tell you they are impressive. They especially light up the road signs and the white lines on the road. I really like the fact you can dial the intensity up or down as needed.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"

post #4 of 27 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Your link is broken.

BTW Raffy sells LED bulbs for the Motolites.
http://motogear4you.com/catalog/prod...f23cc7784752f9

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 27 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 4:18 pm

I don't have these, so I don't have any experience with them. BUT, I do have Moto Lights, and purchased the LED bulbs for them from Raffy. Those bulbs are around 90 a pair, and they really are bright. I am not really sure I think they throw out a long beam light, but they do make you very visible. I have seem some advertised in magazines that are apparently a high/low beam version. They are very expensive, but I don't think they are as much as you say these are.
post #6 of 27 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 6:06 pm

I e-mailed the company. The sales guy quoted me "$475.00 (plus shipping)" I am going to look elsewhere. Too steep for me. There are other alternatives out there.

Patrick

2005 "Gold" K1200LT
post #7 of 27 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:16 pm

link has an asterisk where a C should be.

Here is a better link

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #8 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 6:34 am

I have been contacted by Clearwater about proposed mods to my brackets, to accept possibly a couple diff versions of their lights.

They have already modified my R1200RT brackets for some existing customers, who have already mounted their lights.

Light samples are in process of being shipped to me for evaluation/work for mounting. I have not received the samples yet.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #9 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 10:15 am

For the money I think you would be better off getting a set of Hella, "upgrading" them to HID, and mounting them under the crash bars

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

How about the PIAA 1100X with aux wiring harness. Can the K1200 LT charging system take this load without killing the battery. I put these on a V-Twin Honda VTX1800 R and little did I know when I turned off the key that was the last time she started until I borke out the trickle charger. I don't want that to happen again.

Life is all about attitude and the daily challenges it brings, however be who you want to be and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
post #11 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Yes, LT will handle PIAA 1100X's just fine.. Many riders use these lights, it is a popular add....

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #12 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 6:30 pm

I did a bit of searching online for the bulbs. Several places sell them and some are really inexpensive. The come in a fairly wide variety of wattages and beam spreads from about 17degrees to 38 degrees. However all of them suggest/recommend that they be used in only VENTED locations. Which sorta makes me wonder about using them in MOTOLIGHTS.

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #13 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 6:47 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount
I have been contacted by Clearwater about proposed mods to my brackets, to accept possibly a couple diff versions of their lights.

They have already modified my R1200RT brackets for some existing customers, who have already mounted their lights.

Light samples are in process of being shipped to me for evaluation/work for mounting. I have not received the samples yet.
Hey Jim,
I just spoke with Glen, he shipped them to you today.

FWIW these lights are REALLY nice. The light output is outstanding and the build quality is top shelf. The ability to dim the lights to any desired level means you can used them at night in traffic and not blind other vehicles.

They are tough too. Just got back from Baja and my riding buddy had them on his 800GS. We did hundreds of miles of off road and they worked perfectly.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #14 of 27 Old Feb 20th, 2010, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWK1200LT
How about the PIAA 1100X with aux wiring harness. Can the K1200 LT charging system take this load without killing the battery. I put these on a V-Twin Honda VTX1800 R and little did I know when I turned off the key that was the last time she started until I borke out the trickle charger. I don't want that to happen again.
Didn't know how else to post this but I put the clearwater lights on this weekend and love them. This along with getting new riding jackets and pants for the wife and I with our income tax money has made for a wonderful weekend. Can't wait for the next ride so I can make use of all this new gear.

post #15 of 27 Old Feb 20th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Garage

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #16 of 27 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 7:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Hey Jim,

FWIW these lights are REALLY nice. The light output is outstanding and the build quality is top shelf. The ability to dim the lights to any desired level means you can used them at night in traffic and not blind other vehicles.

They are tough too. Just got back from Baja and my riding buddy had them on his 800GS. We did hundreds of miles of off road and they worked perfectly.
do you find them brighter than hid's?
in your opinion, what is the advantage over hid lights?
john
post #17 of 27 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 8:26 am

I'm going to be a little contrary in my comments: I've installed Moto lights and later PIAA lights and the only real improvement for actually ME seeing better was the HID light.

The Moto lights and the PIAA lights probably make me more visible to others, but as far as me seeing better and further down the road, HID is the only thing that was noticeable to me.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #18 of 27 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohn55
do you find them brighter than hid's?
in your opinion, what is the advantage over hid lights?
john
For one thing, HID's only perform correctly as standard equipment (i.e. HID light source, reflector and optics).

Other than that, since the Clearwaters are installed on the front brake mounts, they make the road markings really pop out and they shine in the direction the bike is going since they move with the front wheel.

Also, power consumption is extremely low (I think it's 7w per lamp, but I'd have to double check).

I have them on my 2009 RT and trust me when I tell you people see me coming from very far away!
post #19 of 27 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 11:27 pm

Wink Re: Clearwater Lights

given all the posts about added illumination for the LT, it is going to be interesting to see if there will be any impact for the standard lights that will be used for the K-XXXX-LT.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #20 of 27 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 7:55 am

Has anyone seen the specifications as to luminosity? I know of 3 watt and 10 watt LED's. Are these 3 times 3W for 9W total?

For comparison, The new 10 watt Vision X Solstice Solo lights are 900 lumens each and cost $120. Your high beam is about 3600 lumens.

For the price, if these are 10w LEDs time three each, this is a deal.
post #21 of 27 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 12:07 pm

The answer is 550 lumens per light; I just spoke with Clearwater. Current draw is 1 amp per set.

Honestly, The Vision X Solstice Solos are 900 lumens per light with the same rough dimensions. The cost is about $120. But they do not have the dimmable feature.
post #22 of 27 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 2:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Re: Clearwater Lights

Personally I do not understand the need for dimming the lights. If they are properly aimed there is no problem for oncoming traffic. I have had Motos and now use PIAA 1100s and once I aimed them there have been no issues with oncoming traffic.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #23 of 27 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 3:27 pm

I'm with Benton on this one... I have PIAA's and Moto's and they are both aimed properly...

While the dimming aspect is nice, I think it's wholly unnecessary. I do use a switch system so that I can turn off the PIAA's and/or the Moto's when ever I am in group, but the dimming??? Dunno about that...

Set 'em... forget 'em I always say...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #24 of 27 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Smile Re: Clearwater Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
I'm with Benton on this one... I have PIAA's and Moto's and they are both aimed properly...

While the dimming aspect is nice, I think it's wholly unnecessary. I do use a switch system so that I can turn off the PIAA's and/or the Moto's when ever I am in group, but the dimming??? Dunno about that...

Set 'em... forget 'em I always say...
The issue with having lights bright enough to be noticed, is that at night riding behind cars or fellow riding buddies, these lights are too bright, they end up washing out the vehicles around the offending lights, I have been told that many times with my HID lights. The clearwater lights alow you to dim them so this no longer is an issue AND you are still very Noticable. Yes, the lights are not designed for distance Lighting, but for being conspicuous. Clearwater is coming out with new lights that will project for distance and be HID bright and dimmable.
post #25 of 27 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 2:48 pm

Hey Bob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
The issue with having lights bright enough to be noticed, is that at night riding behind cars or fellow riding buddies, these lights are too bright, they end up washing out the vehicles around the offending lights
It's one reason I opted for the 25 degree LED's in the Moto's and not the 40's. Using the moto aiming device (cardboard TP holder tube??? Really???), I can get the lights to shine on the road and not blind or annoy oncoming. And believe me, oncoming (those who turn into your lane specifically) need to be notified... even at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasters
Clearwater is coming out with new lights that will project for distance and be HID bright and dimmable.
Interesting... That I'd like to see... For anyone considering this type lighting path, that would be the cat's meow...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #26 of 27 Old Nov 9th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Curious, Glendas or Kristas? Thanks Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Hey Jim,

Bob
post #27 of 27 Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:23 am

Talking Re: Clearwater Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaltic
Curious, Glendas or Kristas? Thanks Bob
I have both on my R1200GSA, I mounted the Glenda's on the crash bars, down low by the exhaust and they are on all the time for being seen. The Krista's are mounted where the stock BMW foglights used to be mounted, I use these for in the turns and late at night to see the deer. They are as bright as HID, but with out the ballast or bulb or ballast replacements. The Krista's have the same current draw as a standard 35 watt bulb, but the longevity/reliabilty factor puts them over the top. Yes, they cost more, but add up how many bulbs you will be replacing over the lifetime that these will last and it puts the cost into perspective.

I still use my Hella HID Micro DE's for distance, can't wait to see if they solve the focusing issue with LED's for distance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in