HID Ethics - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 11:52 am Thread Starter

HID Ethics

The other evening. riding home from work after sunset, I came to an intersection and stopped for a red light. There is a slight incline to the road at this intersection that causes one's headlights to shine upwards into the eyes of anyone facing you at the same red light directly across the intersection. It works both ways as their lights are shining in my eyes.

I run the stock bulbs in the low beams and a pair of TrailTech SC4 HID's mounted down low by the calipers. These were on at the time...no high beam. The stock low beams are aimed according to factory specs and the HID's are purposely aimed low to avoid annoying oncoming traffic.

So, I'm sitting at this light, after a long day at work, anxious to get home to dinner with the fam, when the car across from me starts flashing his high beams repeatedly. I'm not sure if he was reacting to the HID's or simply the very good stock dual low beams on the RT, both of which he was getting full-face.

Given my mood, tired and anxious, it pissed me off that this guy flashing me did not recognize that it was the incline of the road causing the problem, so rather than try to be courteous and switch off the HID's, I left them on in defiance. As the light turned green he swtiches on his high-beams and gives me a blast as he passes, leaving me with spots in front of my eyes. I did the same.

Road rage with photons? What should I have done?

Michael
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
'09 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Re: HID Ethics

If it was me, when he started flashing his high beams I would have flashed mine back - just once - to let him know that I did not have my high beams on.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 4:16 pm

flash him once back to show him you don't have the high beams on AND go check your aim you might have them too high. I had that problem with my motolights. So I was the problem. Aim them 2 degrees down (motolights) installed HID on my low beams and it is amied down also. No more flashing at me, but I still see great at night. No need to see what's in the trees.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 1:00 am

Crank up ALL the lights to HIGH for a moment or two ..... relativity is surprisingly humbling.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #5 of 8 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Crank up ALL the lights to HIGH for a moment or two ..... relativity is surprisingly humbling.
Einstein would agree.

All your suggestions are good ones. The funny thing is, and I forgot to mention this, I did flash him briefly when he first flashed me...didn't seem to matter.

Given the lack of courtesy on our roads today, especially in the high-stress me/Me/ME environment of the Washington DC suburbs , I have to wonder which side to take. I want to be conspicuous on the bike while not offending other drivers, but geez, they sure don't seem to want to return the courtesy in kind.

"The older I get and the more people I meet...the more I like my dog."

Michael

Gaithersburg, Maryland
'09 R1200RT
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 10th, 2009, 9:07 pm

On duty I ride with my fog lights on all the time and on the RT-P they are extremely bright. I ride like that for safety reasons. Before the sun comes up I get high beamed quite often. I flash em back with my high beams and keep going. If that doesn't satisfy them and they flash me again, I flash em back. I figure when they pass, if they can see, they will get the point. I guess I could always turn on the strobes.......

The point is, you are not blinding someone to the point it is dangerous. In this day and age of cell phones, texting and surfing the internet, you need all the visual assistance you can get.

Don't feel bad. Remember, don't be an ass and put your brights on and leave them. That's asking for trouble. Flash em (so they know you could make it worse) and go on about your business. People who don't ride, simply don't understand.
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 11th, 2009, 8:01 am
Gold Supporter

Hey...wait a minute.....He saw you? Somebody call Ripley's.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #8 of 8 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 3:23 pm

Quote:
"The older I get and the more people I meet...the more I like my dog."
That's a great one!

Use our
tool to find the right lighting for your BMW LT, and the most up-to-date BMW LT lamp replacement guide!

1-877-522-2701 |

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in