HID Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 7:12 am Thread Starter

HID Question

I have HID on order and have been reading the FAQ and HOW for install instructions.
I have read that some have removed the nose and others not.
Which is the best / easiest method?
Advantages / disadvantages.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 7:40 am

I'm installing my HID next week...and I can tell you as sure as I'm sitting here typing this that I will DEFINITELY be taking apart the nose cone to do it. I'm sure one could struggle with reaching up under there to "install" an HID kit...but I'm not sure I'd consider that a professional grade install. And if there's one thing I've learned...you take a short-cut today, and it comes back to haunt you tomorrow. You know...when you're out in the middle of freakin' NOWHERE and you're HID craps out on ya. You'd give your eye tooth for a proper install at that moment.

I also want to ensure that I'll be able to switch back over to my halogen if my HID should fail. And that's going to take a wee leetle bit more careful planning than just slapping this thing in there.

HTH
post #3 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I'm installing my HID next week...and I can tell you as sure as I'm sitting here typing this that I will DEFINITELY be taking apart the nose cone to do it. I'm sure one could struggle with reaching up under there to "install" an HID kit...but I'm not sure I'd consider that a professional grade install. And if there's one thing I've learned...you take a short-cut today, and it comes back to haunt you tomorrow. You know...when you're out in the middle of freakin' NOWHERE and you're HID craps out on ya. You'd give your eye tooth for a proper install at that moment.

I also want to ensure that I'll be able to switch back over to my halogen if my HID should fail. And that's going to take a wee leetle bit more careful planning than just slapping this thing in there.

HTH
Oh no, not more LIGHTS! Some people just don't know when to stop...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 8:15 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Oh no, not more LIGHTS! Some people just don't know when to stop...
And wait til you see the oval halogens I installed in those holes under the headlight. Yea baby! Two set of MotoLights, 1 set of H3s, and an HID.

Now...where can I put more CHROME on this thang?!
post #5 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 8:46 am
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Lightbulb Nose cone off....

Roy,

When I installed my HID I was puzzled about how others had installed it without taking the nosecone off. I guess its possible to do so but I question how tight the install would be.

Taking the nose cone off takes a bit of time but its fairly straight forward. If you've not done it before it is a lot easier with someone assisting. Although, it is possible to do by yourself. The advantage to taking the nosecone off is that you can engineer the best location for installing the ballast, igniter and easily remove the headlight rear cover to modify for the HID connections.

I mounted my ballast by epoxying about a 3.5 inch square hollow steel bar to the top of the headlight housing (2003 lte). I tapped a couple of holes for screw mounting the ballast. The igniter was installed with heavy duty velcro. (Its quite a bit lighter and smaller than the ballast.)

One thing I was careful to do was engineer the install so that if the HID failed I could easily reinstall the original bulb. You will not regret removing the nosecone to do this install. In my opinion it is less frustrating than trying to install it otherwise.

Tom

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #6 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 9:06 am
Senior Member (ret.)

HID install

After having installed or helped install over 200 kits, You don't need to remove the nose cone to have a good install. It helps but is not necessary. Now if you are doing both high and low, I would definitely pull the nose cone off.

I have posted the instructions before and others have too. Remove the windshield, the cover below it and the windshield motor/bracket. That gives you plenty of room to do a 'professional' install.

The Hall of Wisdom listings for install instructions are very good.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Feb 3rd, 2006 at 10:41 am.
post #7 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 9:57 am Thread Starter

See - I'm still confused.

Should I believe Raffy or Joe?
I'm going with the man thats done the most installs.

Sorry Joe
I reckon if I get stuck I can always take the nose off then.
post #8 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:21 am

My Dealer did the install!

I just had both lights changed to HID's. The tech at Orlando BMW did a very thorough and professional job. He did use the mounting brackets that came with the kit for the ballast and mounted them inside the frame using no velcro at all...and yes, he did take off the tupperware. I wish I had had my camera....sorry no pics.
Ride Safe
Ron
post #9 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And wait til you see the oval halogens I installed in those holes under the headlight. Yea baby! Two set of MotoLights, 1 set of H3s, and an HID.
Joe, don't forget the optional airport control tower search beacon for your helmet. Gives you that 360-degree-visibility we're all looking for. Of course, you'll have to take the 200 amp generator along with you to provide power for that thing. May affect your mileage negatively, but hey -- we'll see you coming!

Or, to put it another way (because IIRC Ron doesn't subscribe to the "triangle of light" philosophy): you are going for the "septagon (?) of light", correct?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #10 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:16 pm

Exclamation Experience just might be the key here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyvL
See - I'm still confused.

Should I believe Raffy or Joe?
I'm going with the man thats done the most installs.

Sorry Joe
I reckon if I get stuck I can always take the nose off then.
No offense taken Roy. But keep this in mind...Raffy is able to install an HID correctly BECAUSE he has done 200 or so. For my FIRST install, I'm still opting to remove that puppy. Also, it'll be a great time to install yet another fuse block up under there and clean up the rest of my wiring that I missed last winter.
post #11 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 1:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I installed my first HID with the nose cone and the windshield motor in place. Did it all from the bottom, which worked but was a pain. On the second one, I pulled the nose cone. Not too much more work, but much easier to get to everything. Whatever you decide, just take your time and do it well.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 1:07 pm
Super Moderator

Popping the nose cone is definitely the easiest way to do it. I can't think of a reason why not to, unless, of course, you're a masochist.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #13 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 2:03 pm

Words of wisdom

I highly recommed that when you install the HID, remove the relay and silicone the heck out of it. I was having lots of problems with the HID not working until I found the relay had gone bad because of all of the rain I'm in.

Tim
post #14 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I can't think of a reason why not to, unless, of course, you're a masochist.
Or...you've done over 200 of them. Right Raff?!
post #15 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 3:27 pm

heer are the best lights

i need some more lights for my baby
post #16 of 16 Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 3:34 pm

Thumbs up Nose cone stays on...

I followed Raffy's instructions and left the nose cone on, removed the windshield and motor assembly. Easy and plenty of space to work...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in