HID upgrade - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:05 am Thread Starter

HID upgrade

Got the DDM HID kit in the mail yesterday.

What triggered me to finally get off my butt and do it was the low beam bulb went out.

Popped off the headlight cover from underneath and pulled out the old bulb. Wait a sec, this is a little different. Ended up using the old bulb base to make an adapter to hold the new bulb in place. Wired it up, easy as pie, and powered it up. Got a sick green/yellow light. As I got the kit with 2 bulbs and 2 ballast/igniters, started swapping parts to see where the problem lies. Appears I have ballast/igniter issues, both bulbs are good, the other ballast/igniter doesn't do a thing. Solve that first and then see about installing the high beam kit.

Be careful if you end up using the original bulb base to make an adapter, them things are pressurized and pop with gusto. Put a shop rage over it to contain the shrapnel and bust it with a hammer, get it over with. Wife thought I'd cut off a finger, did some bleeding for a while.

B D R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:02 pm

Re: HID upgrade

Gunny,
I just ordered a DDM HID kit for my bike as well, but now I'm a little worried! If you don't mind my asking, what year is your LT, and which kit did you buy? Also, if and when you get it working correctly, I would really appreciate it if you would let me know how well you like it (or dislike it?), how much difference it makes, etc...
Mine should arrive early next week.

Thanks,

Mark

2000 Canyon Red LTC purchased 7/09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(dropped twice since I've owned it... once on each side for good measure!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic - Sold
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 4th, 2009, 7:13 am

I upgraded my '05 LT in March with the DDM HID. Easy, quick install and reasonably priced. I've had no trouble with it at all. I purchased the 35 watt over the 55 watt as I've read the higher wattage lamp results in more high beam flashing by oncoming traffic. The upgrade has significantly improved night time field of vision and daytime visibility.

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 4th, 2009, 8:03 am

I had a 2003 LT and also installed DDM hi and lo beams. The hi beam was a cinch. Just take the old bulb out and put the new in, add the ballast. The low beam took some modification to the bulb socket due to the setup that BMW used. However, once I got it in it made a vast difference. I'm not much of a mechanic so if I can do it you should have no worries getting it done.

Safe riding.

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 7th, 2009, 2:41 pm

Put a 55W DDM low beam on my 06, no issues. One bit of advice is before you button up the nose cone, turn on the bike and rev it a bit. This'll pin down vibrations and sounds (if any) from the extra ballast, igniter, etc you just added. Double sided adhesive and zip ties are your friend.

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 11th, 2009, 6:07 pm

Greetings Guys.

Free2ride - Interesting what you posted about your hi beam being easy and your low beam being difficult. I had the other way around. In fact, I was time poor and only fitted the low beam HID as that really was snap out the old bulb and clip in the new HID bulb, tie up the ballast and away. The hi-beam is what is giving me grief seeing BMW have used a unique bulb holder in there. How have you other guys overcome this problem? I've purchase the DDM 55W kits of H7 and H3.

Cheers to all

Paul
AU

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in