HID low beam not working - HELP - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

Cool HID low beam not working - HELP

Please help out with suggestions -

OK, so I installed the MotoLights and found the HID would only work intermittently. Found a loose ground wire coming from the fuse of the HID and hooked it up. Still the HID will not come on.

Hi-beam and MotoLights work great. Hope it won't require a trip to the dealer......

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 7:27 pm

I've never heard of a fuse on the ground wire. Do you perhaps have the ground wire and hot wires switched going to the light?
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Ground wire

Butch - coming from the HID lite is a 25 amp fuse; there are two wire coming from that, one to positive side of battery, the other is a ground. It was the ground wire that I found disconnected. Hooked it up and still nothing. Really beginning to frustrate me...

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 8:40 pm

I installed the "HID Online" low beam and had the same problem. I emailed Janet at HID Online and she had the solution. The wiring in the plug coming from the ballast to the connector that hooked into the old headlight source was wired in reverse. I unplugged reversed it and pushed it back together. It goes in hard because the key slot does not align. However, it does go together and works fine now. Good luck.
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Plug

Butch - prior to fixing the problem with the plug, did your HID work intermittently? Up until I installed the MotoLights the HID worked fine for me. I've had the HID since August and no problems until now.

Tim
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
I installed the "HID Online" low beam and had the same problem. I emailed Janet at HID Online and she had the solution. The wiring in the plug coming from the ballast to the connector that hooked into the old headlight source was wired in reverse. I unplugged reversed it and pushed it back together. It goes in hard because the key slot does not align. However, it does go together and works fine now. Good luck.
I had the same problem, but it was on the hi beam. It did not and could not have worked intermittently. No + to the relay coil!

Seamarshal .. where did you get the power for the moto lights? Any connection to the HIDS? I'd start at the relay and make sure you have coil voltage when the ignition is on, and then are the "contacts" closing once you have confirmed voltage to the coil.
post #7 of 14 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:45 pm

Mine didn't work at all until I reversed the connector as I described previously. I missed the part in your first post that this started after installing motolights. If you unhook the motolight from the electrical system does the HID come back on? Are both sets of lights hooked directly to the battery or are you using a common line for both? If you're using a common line the wire size may be too small to allow enough current to pass through. Otherwise, I have no clue.
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:52 pm

Another thing to check would be the relay. Mine went out after a heavy downpour. Take the relay to an auto supply store and they will duplicate the pins on yours. Five bucks may solve your problem.
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 11:29 pm

Time to get out a meter and find out where the voltage is and where it isn't. And what voltage it is...You really don't know if you have a no voltage or just a low voltage problem. If you're using headlight power to trip a relay the relay could have gotten wet and corroded causing no V+ to the ballast...They have cheap digital and analog meters at "Rat Shack".. Turn on the light and start at the Ballast input. If no volts then check the trigger line to the relay.. If volts there and on the input side of the relay probably bad relay....If you're not using a relay then the voltage reading should tell you what the story is..

Now that I read your profile I'd definately look for more corroded/loose connections.... Good Luck....If I can be of any help Just PM me..
John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Thanks Guy's

After getting a consensus (including Raffy, and Janet from HID-online) it seems likely the relay may be bad. Seattle has just been getting dump on with the rain and I ride alot.

Will replace the relay and update w/the results.

Tim
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:47 am
Senior Member (ret.)

After replacing the relay, seal the bottom of the relay with silicone so water would not get in again and move it high up and attach it to the sub frame tube above the windshield motor.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:54 am

Go by a marine place and get a water resistant relay, lacking that, silicone yours.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:44 am Thread Starter

HID finally working

I replaced the relay and now the HID is finally working. The replacement relay was siliconed and should be waterproof.

Tim
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:13 pm

Congratulations. Hope you bought a spare. It will happen again with the rains you get in Seattle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in