MotoLite problems w/HID's - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

MotoLite problems w/HID's

My buddy and I recently installed MotoLites and we both have HID hi-beams. Since the MotoLite install, the HID will come on only intermittently. Any clues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 1:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Sounds like a wiring issue. There's nothing incompatible with HID and Motolights. I'd check all your ground wires first, then trace all the positive wires and connections.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMarshal
My buddy and I recently installed MotoLites and we both have HID hi-beams. Since the MotoLite install, the HID will come on only intermittently. Any clues?
You must have wired the Motolites to the same power source line as the HID. You are dropping the voltage too much for the ballast.

Try running the HID ballast power input directly to the battery and see if it works. If not, check your battery voltage, maybe it is getting weak.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Still no luck

David - found out today that my ground wire for the HID's was left dangling. Hooked it up and still the HID will not work.

The MotoLights are hooked up to the battery, ground, and tapped into the left front running/signal lite (good strong connection too) for the relay part.

Need some help from the board.

Tim
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Hid

You don't have a HID Hi-Beam you goof ball...... I have the HID Hi beam......you only have the Low beam.........better get back on that oxygen bottle.

Pat

Last edited by PATTERSON; Feb 4th, 2006 at 10:37 pm.
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

Talking Ol Be Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON
You don't have a HID Hi-Beam you goof ball...... I have the HID Hi beam......you only have the Low beam.........better get back on that oxygen bottle.

Pat

Hey, you're the one with all of the goofy ideas
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Talking

Quote:
David - found out today that my ground wire for the HID's was left dangling. Hooked it up and still the HID will not work.

The MotoLights are hooked up to the battery, ground, and tapped into the left front running/signal lite (good strong connection too) for the relay part.

Need some help from the board.

Tim
A common error after installing HID is not getting the headlight connectior back on properly. It's the connector that plugs into the left side of the headlight assembly and a separate wire clip secures this connector. You can hardly see the connector when plugging it back in. An incomplete connection will surely give you intermittent HID. Don't ask me how I know.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 7:00 pm

Quote:
If you used the HIDonline kit c/w relay, and the ground wire you found dangling was from the old connection, it's not needed! The + wire is the only one rqrd and it is now used for switching the relay only.
If your are using a relay... that is the best place to test. The intermittent thing might cause a little problem, but by testing at the relay, you know in which direction to look. If you need further help... let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in