Saddlebag interior LEDs á la Dezrae - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Saddlebag interior LEDs á la Dezrae

I was temporarily out of farkle projects (as some of my bigger task parts are still under milling or en route in the mail) I thought that I will use the saddlebag interior lighting idea "Dezrae" presented last summer on the old forum. http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...e=&view=&sb=&o=

As my sight is getting weaker over the years I used 7 leds to give enough light and I did the job using basically the same technique as described in Dezrae's instructions. The enclosed pictures should tell the story and also the differences to the original instructions.

I chose to use a separate switch for the lights instead of the "door switch" as I took the power from the unswitched source and I usually leave the bike in my garage with the saddlebag covers open. So even if the leds take relatively little power they can still drain the battery over the time...
Also the location of the wire / led strip is probably a bit different as I had to use a little Dremel to remove a piece off of the little plastic "triangles" in order to have a proper routing for the cable. Black tape holds the strip in place.

Thanks to Dezrae for the idea, one weekend was saved...
Regards

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Led strip.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	1775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremelling the triangles.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	1776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strip in place 1.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	1777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strip in place 2.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	1778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leds lighted.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	1779  

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Switch pics

In case somebody is interested in the switches I used, here are they as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Switch separately.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	1780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2447.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	1781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch in place.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	1782  

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #3 of 7 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 6:49 am

Smile

WOW!
I feel humbled that someone liked my idea and built on it.
But, you didnt say how the leds were wired up though.
Were they done in series or parallel. Maybe add another post with information of how to wire it up so that anyone can understand it and others may use your design or pick betwen your design or mine or even come up with their own.

How bright are the leds??? how many MCD are they???

I found with just 3 of them and a small resistor that it is way bright.my photos didnt do my job justice.

if you want buckets of light and just one led, you could use a luxeon led just a single 1 watt led would do the trick and mount it in the corner of the pannier.

Top work though!

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 2:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrae
WOW!
I feel humbled that someone liked my idea and built on it.
But, you didnt say how the leds were wired up though.
Were they done in series or parallel. Maybe add another post with information of how to wire it up so that anyone can understand it and others may use your design or pick betwen your design or mine or even come up with their own.

How bright are the leds??? how many MCD are they???

I found with just 3 of them and a small resistor that it is way bright.my photos didnt do my job justice.

if you want buckets of light and just one led, you could use a luxeon led just a single 1 watt led would do the trick and mount it in the corner of the pannier.

Top work though!
Hi Dez,

and thanks for the comments. Some answers / explanations to your questions:

I had only once read your thorough instructions and as I have worked with leds before (built my own saddlebag reflector / led set) I just built my own led strip by connecting the leds parallel.
Actually I did not want to "steal the show" from you and I thought whoever wants to make his own set should look at your instructions in any case. Now I realized that maybe I connected my leds differently. I used a twin cable and soldered the leds + side (equipped with a proper resistor, don't ask the ohms, I just bought 14 leds and 14 resistors and the salesman picked the resistors as I told him that I'm feeding the led with 13,5 volts) to the other wire and the cathode (-) to the other wire.
And of course I did not take pictures of that part since I thought your instructios were so thorough...

How bright the leds are or how many MCD (???) they are? Well, all I know they light up the saddlebag nicely and they are 5 mm in diameter and if I remember correctly they were rated about 3,xx volts each, but that does not tell the brightness, does it? The salesman instructed me that it is wiser to rate the resistors so that the leds are not fed with too high voltage as that affects their lifetime. Therefore I rated my resistors to 13,5 volts instead of 12 V.

I took the pictures of those details that made differently (and should have taken pictures of the leds solderings as well...).
Anyone who wants to make similar or a combination can ask either one of us and we can sort him out.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #5 of 7 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 5:30 am

Smile

Please dont feel like your trying to steal the show. Im so thrilled someone built upon the idea.

As a general rule of thumb from what i have learnt is that you put a single 470 ohm resistor with a 3 volt led running of 14 volts....

BUT...

to learn more about resistors and voltages here is some links

http://www.quickar.com/bestledcalc.php

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Thanks for sharing!
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 5th, 2006, 5:25 pm

Thumbs up

Very nice Job Ari!

I think we need to have some sort of a trophy for farkelizing - and you would win hands down!

I used these on the inside of my trailer and side saddlebags: they stick on. "Dot It" from Sylvania. Overpriced at $10 each.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ron's BMW trailer 008.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1851  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 6th, 2006, 2:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Very nice Job Ari!

I think we need to have some sort of a trophy for farkelizing - and you would win hands down!

I used these on the inside of my trailer and side saddlebags: they stick on. "Dot It" from Sylvania. Overpriced at $10 each.
Thanks a lot for the compliment, Ron.

Like discussed many times before, it is the long "grounding period" that makes me do things the hard way. If it is too cold outside for any outdoor activities (or I don't feel like doing it otherwise, which happens when it's not cold enough...) , I need something to occupy my weekend. And fixing nice ready made battery operated stick-on leds in the saddlebag ceiling just don't serve the purpose of giving me something to fiddle with the bike. That would be done in less than 2 minutes...

But each to his own, main thing is that we enjoy what we are doing!

More farkle reports coming before my riding season starts, I just don't want to present something unfinished.

Best regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in