Enough about forward lighting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Enough about forward lighting

I thought I would direct your attention to my rear end My dealer sells a product by Brake! of Canada. It is an LED replacement for the brake light bulbs and sells for about $120. Has anyone seen these and are they more conspicuous than regular taillights? They are described as being brighter, cooler running, and a deeper red wavelength than conventional. I already have the OEM lugguge rack brake light. Opinions please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Rear lites

JC - can't provide feedback on your specific question; however, I recently went to a truckstop and bought an LED tail light and put it below my license plate. Really made a big difference for only $33.00.

Also, installed the saddlebag reflector/led kit from Riderwest and they operate as running and signal lites. I think I'm really visible from all areas now.
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks or your reply. I am going to install the Riderwest lights as well. I think it makes sense to replace the reflectors with LED lighting.

post #4 of 17 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 3:12 pm

By the way guys, the LED Saddlebag reflectors are actually visible from the rear because of the angle the saddlebags are on. I was surprised to see this when I was following a buddy with them installed.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #5 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 3:50 pm

Thumbs up Saddlebag Reflector LED's

I am giving Larry a big thumbs up for his product and customer support. His reflectors look great and really add a good demension for being seen. I like the fact that they act as both running and signal lites.

Tim
post #6 of 17 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

LED Brakelights

I bought and installed the LED tail/brake lights. The LED's and strobe feature really draw attention, only one problem though; my ABS fault light is on. The product is designed for the K1200LT and is supposed to fool the ABS system into thinking that the original bulbs are in place but mine seems to know the difference . When I replace the bulbs everything is ok, but as soon as I put the LED's back the fault light returns. I'm going to call the manufacturer tommorrow and ask what gives. If anyone is curious the product I'm talking about can be seen at www.gizmomill.com.
post #7 of 17 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Tim, thanks for the good words. But I have to thank Raffy for the inspiration. If it wasn't for the the fact that he was unable to continue getting the original LED strips, I would never have developed the kit. Thanks to Raffy and all you guys who have supported me by buying my products.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #8 of 17 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 1:52 pm

gizmo mill LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada
I bought and installed the LED tail/brake lights. The LED's and strobe feature really draw attention, only one problem though; my ABS fault light is on. The product is designed for the K1200LT and is supposed to fool the ABS system into thinking that the original bulbs are in place but mine seems to know the difference . When I replace the bulbs everything is ok, but as soon as I put the LED's back the fault light returns. I'm going to call the manufacturer tommorrow and ask what gives. If anyone is curious the product I'm talking about can be seen at www.gizmomill.com.
I ordered their product and have not received it yet. The guy on the phone was nice enough. I'm sure they will make it good for you. Let us know what they say.
John

Last edited by steamboatjohn; Feb 4th, 2006 at 1:53 pm. Reason: typographic error
post #9 of 17 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Defective Models Brake! LED Tail light conversion kit

I was told by Francis at gizmomill that they were aware that 6 out of a 100 units they sent out had the wrong resistors. Figuring I would play the odds, I returned my original purchase to my dealer and picked up a new kit. Guess what, same problem! On my next call I spoke with Kevin at gizmomill and he was a little more honest in telling me that they were unsure how many units out there are defective. Now I am waiting for a plug-in fix for the problem to arrive in the mail. I like the effect the product produces, but I am not too happy about being misled & needing a plug-in fix for a product I paid $200 for . I hope yours works as advertised but I would ask them to send their fix for the problem along with your order. This is just another example of why I usually don't buy a 1st generation product. The 2nd generation usually has all the bugs worked out.

P.S. I also suggested that they make the wiring harness a little longer (1/4") as one of the blue wires just barely connects and is pretty taught. I had to turn one of the modules and it is still difficult to connect.
post #10 of 17 Old Feb 4th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Quote:
I was told by Francis at gizmomill that they were aware that 6 out of a 100 units they sent out had the wrong resistors. Figuring I would play the odds, I returned my original purchase to my dealer and picked up a new kit. Guess what, same problem! On my next call I spoke with Kevin at gizmomill and he was a little more honest in telling me that they were unsure how many units out there are defective. Now I am waiting for a plug-in fix for the problem to arrive in the mail. I like the effect the product produces, but I am not too happy about being misled & needing a plug-in fix for a product I paid $200 for . I hope yours works as advertised but I would ask them to send their fix for the problem along with your order. This is just another example of why I usually don't buy a 1st generation product. The 2nd generation usually has all the bugs worked out.

P.S. I also suggested that they make the wiring harness a little longer (1/4") as one of the blue wires just barely connects and is pretty taught. I had to turn one of the modules and it is still difficult to connect.
I'll keep everyone posted, as it looks like a nice product, but expen$$ive
post #11 of 17 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 4:24 pm
jca

Quote:
I thought I would direct your attention to my rear end My dealer sells a product by Brake! of Canada. It is an LED replacement for the brake light bulbs and sells for about $120. Has anyone seen these and are they more conspicuous than regular taillights? They are described as being brighter, cooler running, and a deeper red wavelength than conventional. I already have the OEM lugguge rack brake light. Opinions please?
I have just installed that taillight set up on mt LT. The light is everthing they say it is.
post #12 of 17 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:58 pm

Thumbs up

We sell them in our local BMW shop. They are a great product. You cannot fail to notice when someone with one activates their brakes. Unfortunately they do not have on for LTs. We have sold a number of them for GSs, RTs, and R bikes. So far everyone who has bought one has been pleased with the purchase.
post #13 of 17 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 8:49 am

Question bulb warning light on

Well, the Brake! product is installed and guess what - the warning lamp is on....
Called gizmo mill last week, they said that the engineer responsible for the product is in Costa Rica and will be back on Monday (6 days ago). He was supposed to call me or send me a larger resistor to install.
They sent me an item from supposedly new production that would not have the fault light on...
post #14 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Be careful, since using LED's in the rear can be an issue,

First, the LED's are directional in nature and hard to see from the sides.
Second, it will cause you Brake warning light to light up unless you use a series resistor with them,
Third, it is great at night but not so good during the day.
Fourth you have to run amber behind red to get red and white behind amber to get amber. othewise you will have a green glow from the rear.

Stay with the bulbs and leave the rear alone for now, I have tried all the different ways to make it work better, but the way it is, is good.

Robert Ver Halen
post #15 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 4:18 pm

I had one on my '03 K12RS. It's a great accessory well worth the money. All of the units sent to my local dealer had the same problems previously mentioned. I'll definitely put one on my new LT once they get things worked out.

Mike
'06 LT
post #16 of 17 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 6:18 pm

After working on it for a year and a half, and also being an engineer.... I found that best LED's to use are the 1157 and 1156 LED's in White only, used behind the amber and the red gives the best results. Most people do not use a series resistor with the lights which gives the bike problems.

Yes that can be fixed I did it on mine. The only thing is you have to place the resistor on the frame of the bike for better cooling. I tested on with the flashers on for one half an hour, and yes they get damn hot.

If anyone has issues with the LED's in the rear, let me know I can talk you through it, very simple once you know what you are doing!

Thanks,

Robert Ver Halen
post #17 of 17 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 8:35 pm

Thumbs up

I installed the Brake!/GizmoMill product in my '05 yesterday and they worked perfectly right out of the box - no warning triangle, so it appears they've fixed that issue. Also, the wire lengths were perfect.

This is a beautifully made product, the housings and circuitry are above and beyond the usual. Too bad this eye-candy is out-of-sight once installed.

As to what you can see, Robert's concern about the directional nature of these LED's seems unfounded. They are bright and easily seen from most any angle, day or night. The pulsing flash is the best I've seen for a brake light.

I'm thrilled with the result and will place an order for my 'Busa asap. They are expensive at $200, but well worth it IMHO.

Michael

Gaithersburg, Maryland
'09 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in