And light (Xenon light) shined upon the face of the earth and it was good..... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Wink And light (Xenon light) shined upon the face of the earth and it was good.....

Very good!

Installed the DDM 5K deg low beam kit last night. The only down side to the install is that the sun started to come up before the install could be "fully tested"[img]images/icons/icon12.gif[/img]. For a first time farkelization the process was pretty straight forward. BTW it is NOT a 1 hour process for a first time tupperware remover-er. Holy crap! There must be 1300 or 1400 screws holding all that plastic on! I had 5 screws left over but I'm not afraid because I'm going to order a high beam lamp and do it all over again! The original high beam lamp looks like a birthday candle compared to the new low beam! BTW I'm not a high beam flasher so the delay won't be a factor.

Any recommendations on the wattage for the high beam? 55W 85W? Kind of leaning toward the 85W. Why not? Just gotta make sure that I dim the high beams before I sterilize oncoming traffic!

Also tried to change the oil but failed. Got the old stuff out, put on a new crush washer, torqued the drain plug down and realized that my fancy new filter wrench wouldn'tt fit up into the hole. Nuts! Gotta git 'er done because I'm going on a 750 mile ride on Friday a.m. after I get off work.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: And light (Xenon light) shined upon the face of the earth and it was good.....

I have no experience with the Xenon, as I belong to the HID camp.
but I can tell you from experience that going with a higher wattage high beam
might cause more problems than it's worth.
In a previous life I changed out the low beam on a R80RT for an 85 watt unit,
it melted the plug of the back of the headlight assembly
and left me in the dark a thousand miles from home.

Regarding the tupperware and left over screws, that's pretty common for the first couple of removals,
I keep a printed copy of the attached picture handy and now they've all found a home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sidepanelscrews (Medium).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	23824   Click image for larger version

Name:	tupperware (Medium).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	23825  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: And light (Xenon light) shined upon the face of the earth and it was good.....

I thought HID and Xenon were essentially the same. What am I missing?

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
I thought HID and Xenon were essentially the same. What am I missing?
Maybe they are, I have no idea what he calls a
Quote:
DDM 5K deg low beam kit

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I keep a printed copy of the attached picture handy and now they've all found a home.
Where are these pictures from? Do you know the publication? Looks handy. I will certainly be printing these out, but it looks like it comes from an interesting reference. Thanks!

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 12:00 pm

Quote:
Xenon and HID are the same thing. If you see automotive advertisements stating that the car has Xenon lighting, that is HID. BMW also introduced Xenon low beam lighting option on the LT in 2005.

Unfortunately, there are many lowlifes on eBay and elsewhere advertising "Xenon bulbs" which are nothing but halogen bulbs with a trace of xenon gas in the mixture. They sucker in a lot of people thinking they are getting Xenon lighting cheap. It is the sucker's fault, but still I despise the people who prey on them.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 12:25 pm

The only Hid kits I have ever seen where either 35 or 50 watt. My installs where the 35 watt type and they are 3x brighter than a 55watt halogen. I would not touch anything that says anything above 55 watts. The higher amperage might (will) fry the stock wiring. and possibly glaze over the headlight lense.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry Hans, DDM is DDM Tuning, the seller of the lighting kit. Lifetime warranty on the electronics, $50 and change delivered to the door and located in San Diego so cheap delivery was quick for me. I tend to use the word Xenon more often than HID as it seems to be better understood here in the part of the Northwest where I live. The system I purchased has a ballast and ignitor so not a halogen wannabe. 5000 deg K is 5000 degrees Kelvin, which is an indicator of the color according to the Kelvin scale.

Thank you a thousand times for the chart showing where the screws go. I tried to be so careful and still had leftovers. I'll just save 'em for next time I have the Tupperware off.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #9 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 6:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
-----------------------------. The system I purchased has a ballast and ignitor so not a halogen wannabe. ------------------------------------------
Loren
I knew yours was a real Xenon from the description. I just posted the warning about the false "Xenon" halogens as a heads up to those who have not yet ventured into HID search land.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 4:40 pm

Congrats, but what year is your bike. When I installed my DDM Hid kit it took maybe 45 minutes and no screws to take out. Plug and play.

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePower
Congrats, but what year is your bike. When I installed my DDM Hid kit it took maybe 45 minutes and no screws to take out. Plug and play.
I work at a hospital 3 12's a week so sometimes I wind up with a large block of time ofgf. Up to 8 days in a row.

I have been wanting to tear the tupperware off since I got it. Wanted to see what's under the hood so to speak. 6 days off in a row + a farkle +11,890 miles = the hides coming off. There were also instructions posted on the web stating it was best to pull the plastic. So I did.

Learned a lot and except for the extra screws I enjoyed the experience. Would I do it this way again? Maybe not if it wasn't for the 12 K service.

Oh! It's a 2001.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in