Back by popular demand, flashing LED's on rear and mirror housings - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 5:17 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Back by popular demand, flashing LED's on rear and mirror housings

These two videos somehow got deleted - and I've had a lot of requests to re-post them , so here they are juan mo time. Sorry for the long delay from all of you that asked!

K1200LT flashing tail lights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVoWwv8JOGU

K1200LT flashing LED turn signals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ZmaBr5Q2A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 5th, 2009 at 5:57 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 8:47 pm

Re: Back by popular demand, flashing LED's on rear and mirror housings

I've never seen the videos before. That is some great lighting work. I don't think I would have the patience to do it. I was planning to buy one of the brake light modulators for a couple hundred dollars.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #3 of 20 Old Jun 5th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cealbrecht
I've never seen the videos before. That is some great lighting work. I don't think I would have the patience to do it. I was planning to buy one of the brake light modulators for a couple hundred dollars.
I don't know what Ron used for a blinker but I used a Third Brake Light blinker from kahtec.com for $25. It blinks both brake lights (led replacement bulbs) and a row of 18 leds I have as a third brake light.

2007 R1200RT (Bairitz Blue)

Gone but not Forgotten
2000 LT(Canyon Red)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200(Red/White)
1982 Suzuki GSX 1100E(Red)
1981 Suzuki 1100L(Black)
1972 Honda CB750(Brown)
1969 Honda CB750 (Red)

post #4 of 20 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphLT
I don't know what Ron used for a blinker but I used a Third Brake Light blinker from kahtec.com for $25. It blinks both brake lights (led replacement bulbs) and a row of 18 leds I have as a third brake light.
Do you have any video? I don't need to be as flashy as Bob, but I would like a little extra attention when I'm squeezing the brake.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
post #5 of 20 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
In the annotations in the video I mention Hyperlights, but I seem to remember paying quite a premium for them - $25.00 is a deal!

I've read that LEDs don't have the same "spread" when used as replacement bulbs for incandescents - and as a result can't be seen as well from an angle unless the reflector and lense was specifically designed for them. This was the current info several years ago when they first came out. I'm sure they've made advances since then that work great.

That's cool that you've upgraded yours - with all the distracted cagers these days on the phone, eating, texting...

The BEST mod I've EVER done are these "bumper stickers". They virtually eliminate tail gating - my number one pet peeve:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FREE POLITE stickers for BMWLT.net members.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	23317  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 20 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
In the annotations in the video I mention Hyperlights, but I seem to remember paying quite a premium for them - $25.00 is a deal!

I've read that LEDs don't have the same "spread" when used as replacement bulbs for incandescents - and as a result can't be seen as well from an angle unless the reflector and lense was specifically designed for them. This was the current info several years ago when they first came out. I'm sure they've made advances since then that work great.

That's cool that you've upgraded yours - with all the distracted cagers these days on the phone, eating, texting...

The BEST mod I've EVER done are these "bumper stickers". They virtually eliminate tail gating - my number one pet peeve:
How do they eliminate tail gating? I'd think everyone would come up close to try to read them better! :-)

I think I'd add another sticker below yours which says "and well armed!"

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 20 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
How do they eliminate tail gating? I'd think everyone would come up close to try to read them better! :-)

I think I'd add another sticker below yours which says "and well armed!"
A great story: My neighbor across the street - who rides - walks up to me one day while I'm washing the bike in my driveway and sez:

"I didn't know you were also a cop! "

Not being one to pass up a prime moment I launched into a rather long story how I worked only on top secret missions on the weekends with the FBI apprehending fugitives - and that's why I didn't have any red and blue lights as well since I was stealth.

This is a guy who is an engineer and has lived across the street from me for
6 years and knows that I'm a commercial pilot and also make seats. I've talked to him dozens of times since he moved in.

He's one Bud short of a six pack. Maybe that's why he has a chromed out custom painted $50K Fatboy sitting in his garage that NEVER leaves for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I never did mention to him that his spelling skills suck.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 20 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
A great story: My neighbor across the street - who rides - walks up to me one day while I'm washing the bike in my driveway and sez:

"I didn't know you were also a cop! "

Not being one to pass up a prime moment I launched into a rather long story how I worked only on top secret missions on the weekends with the FBI apprehending fugitives - and that's why I didn't have any red and blue lights as well since I was stealth.

This is a guy who is an engineer and has lived across the street from me for
6 years and knows that I'm a commercial pilot and also make seats. I've talked to him dozens of times since he moved in.

He's one Bud short of a six pack. Maybe that's why he has a chromed out custom painted $50K Fatboy sitting in his garage that NEVER leaves for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I never did mention to him that his spelling skills suck.
I'm an engineer and a pilot (private only), but I can spell! I do realize that this is rare for an engineer. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 20 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I'm an engineer and a pilot (private only), but I can spell! I do realize that this is rare for an engineer. :-)
Then you'll really appreciate this: (and forgive me if I told it before...)

A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realizes he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts, "Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?"

The man below says, "Yes, you're in a hot air balloon, hovering 30 feet above this
field. "

"You must be an engineer", says the balloonist.

"I am", replies the man. "How did you know?"

"Well", says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is technically correct, but it's of no use to anyone."

The man below says, "You must be in management."

"I am", replies the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well", says the man, "you don't know where you are, or where you're going, but you expect me to be able to help. You're in the same position you were before we met, but now it's my fault. "

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 20 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Do you have any video? I don't need to be as flashy as Bob, but I would like a little extra attention when I'm squeezing the brake.
Here is a link to how my lights work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELyLdeawZlw

Gone but not Forgotten
2000 LT(Canyon Red)
1981 Suzuki 1100L(Black)
1972 Honda CB750(Brown)
1969 Honda CB750 (Red)
post #11 of 20 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Here is a link to how my lights work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELyLdeawZlw

That's about right. I was thinking about alternating flashes between the luggage rack and the main brake light. Do you have the delay type module or just the simple modulator. And what do you have down around the license plate? Are those LED's or some sort of reflective tape.

Chad Albrecht
post #12 of 20 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Quote:
That's about right. I was thinking about alternating flashes between the luggage rack and the main brake light. Do you have the delay type module or just the simple modulator. And what do you have down around the license plate? Are those LED's or some sort of reflective tape.
It is the delay version, and there is red reflective tape above the plate and then white just under and another red piece.

Gone but not Forgotten
2000 LT(Canyon Red)
1981 Suzuki 1100L(Black)
1972 Honda CB750(Brown)
1969 Honda CB750 (Red)
post #13 of 20 Old Jun 6th, 2009, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Here's the old thread that details installing the LED's in the mirror housing:

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...ts&Main=109788

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 20 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:39 am

Wow, those mirror/indicator LEDs are bright. Realize they are aimed somewhat, but even so, it seems like they'd might have a "blinding" effect on you at night....when you've got your indicator on, and are trying to looking in that mirror prior to changing lanes.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #15 of 20 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Wow, those mirror/indicator LEDs are bright. Realize they are aimed somewhat, but even so, it seems like they'd might have a "blinding" effect on you at night....when you've got your indicator on, and are trying to looking in that mirror prior to changing lanes.
Not at all, all you see is a dim red glow from the cockpit. Kind of like looking at spotlight from the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0516.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	23343  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 20 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 2:19 pm

Cool....thanks for that side view pic. I'm thinking about doing this. Any reason you went with red LEDs? I figure since they only illuminate when the indicators are on, I might go with same color as the tail light indicator lense (yellow).

post #17 of 20 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 4:15 pm

I have been thinking about putting a 3rd light on the trunk and ran into this one the other day. Not a bad price and has several options.
http://customdynamics.com/knight_rid..._light_bar.htm

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #18 of 20 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Cool....thanks for that side view pic. I'm thinking about doing this. Any reason you went with red LEDs? I figure since they only illuminate when the indicators are on, I might go with same color as the tail light indicator lense (yellow).
Not really - I guess I thought they might get more attention. The amber would certainly look more coordinated.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #19 of 20 Old Jun 9th, 2009, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200
I have been thinking about putting a 3rd light on the trunk and ran into this one the other day. Not a bad price and has several options.
http://customdynamics.com/knight_rid..._light_bar.htm
I wonder if such a light is even legal. I mean having that "knight rider" wig-wag/scrolling effect as a running light? I'm thinking this would certainly get some attention....including that of officer "square-nuts"!

post #20 of 20 Old Jun 13th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Quote:
These two videos somehow got deleted - and I've had a lot of requests to re-post them , so here they are juan mo time. Sorry for the long delay from all of you that asked!

K1200LT flashing tail lights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVoWwv8JOGU

K1200LT flashing LED turn signals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ZmaBr5Q2A

RonKMiller,
The video of your multiple strobe effects for braking is absolutely awesome. I wanted to do the same thing since I just got rear ended....the bike is currently in the repair shop.....however, the mechanic stated it causes multiple faults to the ABS brake indicator lights on the instrument panel. I was looking at the backoff module to synch the brake lights with their license plate quadframe or buy tailblazer bulbs for the tail lights and add hyper-lites with which ever combo I can go with (I don't have the luggage rack on my LT).

I'd appreciate your expertise if you could share how you did the connections and whether or not it causes any faults on the instrument panel or the ABS brakes themselves.
Thanks!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in