Auxiliary Lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Auxiliary Lights

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Motolights for my '05 LT. They will be caliper-mounted. I have these goals in adding extra lights to the LT:

1. I want to be seen by others. I've read about the "triangle of light" theory; makes sense. Is the caliper mount the best place to achieve the "triangle"?

2. I want to see much better down the road. I want the road ahead lit up like I was on a freight train. I've read the threads about HID replacement but can't find someone to do the job for me (local BMW dealer has never done one and I don't want to be their test case). How much "down the road" light will Motolights give me, especially mounted low, by the wheels?

The dealer also suggested a replacement bulb for my stock BMW headlamp; about $30. Does this make sense, or should I proceed with a HID? (guess I already know the answer, as everyone who installs one is greatly impressed with them)

3. What about PIAA lights under the nose, or the tipover wings, or elsewhere? Do they provide more or less usable "driving light" than Motolights? What about installing them in addition to the Motolights? (ignoring the fact that more than 3 lights is illegal in some states -- I'm talking about lots of driving on country roads, and I would have an on/off switch installed for both pairs of lights)

I've seen several pictures over the past few months of various lighting installations; anything you want to send along is appreciated, but I'd especially like to learn about your experiences with my questions, above.

Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:01 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Motolights for my '05 LT. They will be caliper-mounted. I have these goals in adding extra lights to the LT:

1. I want to be seen by others. I've read about the "triangle of light" theory; makes sense. Is the caliper mount the best place to achieve the "triangle"?

2. I want to see much better down the road. I want the road ahead lit up like I was on a freight train. I've read the threads about HID replacement but can't find someone to do the job for me (local BMW dealer has never done one and I don't want to be their test case). How much "down the road" light will Motolights give me, especially mounted low, by the wheels?

The dealer also suggested a replacement bulb for my stock BMW headlamp; about $30. Does this make sense, or should I proceed with a HID? (guess I already know the answer, as everyone who installs one is greatly impressed with them)

3. What about PIAA lights under the nose, or the tipover wings, or elsewhere? Do they provide more or less usable "driving light" than Motolights? What about installing them in addition to the Motolights? (ignoring the fact that more than 3 lights is illegal in some states -- I'm talking about lots of driving on country roads, and I would have an on/off switch installed for both pairs of lights)

I've seen several pictures over the past few months of various lighting installations; anything you want to send along is appreciated, but I'd especially like to learn about your experiences with my questions, above.

Thanks.
First of all, an aftermarket replacement bulb in your existing headlight will not cut it. You want HID, period. Now, to be more visible and help with the lighting on corners and close up go for the triangle look with the lights mounted just under the tip-over wings. I have had more comments from cage drivers that my bike stands out due to the triangle look. See my pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights_135-3525_IMG.gif
Views:	539
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1646  

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #3 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:01 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
No matter what else you decide, just get an HID. For less than you paid for the Motolights, you could have gotten both low and high HID. And at $130 delivered for a low beam kit, why even bother with trying other, more expensive options?

Additional lights are more for triangulation and being seen than anything else, unless you start going for the high dollar stuff, which are usually only good as high beam supplements. You may get some close-in help if they're adjusted correctly, but they won't give you long-range illumination like the HID will. Plus you can leave the HID low beam on all the time, even with oncoming traffic.

Installation isn't too difficult, especially with the excellent instructions available here. And surely there must be someone in the Ohio area that could help you out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Jan 23rd, 2006 at 8:30 pm.

post #4 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:10 pm

Great!

Yeah.. Motolights on the calipers.. Then the PIAA's under the nose will give you a great profile!...

Now, In case you aren't familiar with it.. don't forget to connect them using fused circuit and relay's. The PIAA's kit I have includes mounts for under the nosecone, fused relay and water resistant switch. I don't know what your Motolights come with.

I get power for the "control" circuit from the seat heating circuit because it pulls such low current. Also, when you crank the motor, that circuit automatically shuts off to reduce current draw and subsequently will de-energize the relay, turning off the lights...now isn't that cool? Grif taught me that!

Pull your power directly from the battery + (red) side... go to the fuse then feed the relay "load" side from it. If you have 2 sets of lights, use a seperate fuse feed for each relay.

Some folks install a "bus" so they can easily plug in more circuits to the + side of the battery.

So, anyway, best of luck.. take pics "before-n-after" so you can see the improvement! Then post them here!
Jeffrop likes this.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:12 pm

HID links..

Meese, where did you find kits for that price? Please post a link for our friend and myself..

Peace.!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:34 pm

" I want to be seen by others"

IMHO, the triangulation solution is pure ****shit when compared with installing a Hyperlight (flashing) on your high beam. "Triangulation" is just another urban myth right up there with disc brakes warping and cell phones causing gas station fires. There is absolutely NO science behind it, period.

Use the Hyperlight on your high beam ALL THE TIME. You'll stop "left turners" dead in in their tracks with it -and isn't that what it is all about?

And please, I am NOT interested in entering another boring and long winded discussion with ANYONE who is pissed off by my extremely irritating, road rage inducing, way over the top, I really need to learn how to drive better (whew!)... point of view regarding what I consider to be the MOST significant safety device for bikers since ABS. It is legal and it works.

If you want to ride at night get HID. No comparison. Won't do you any good during the day. Does look pretty cool though.

Nuff' said.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Try CQLight. You want the H7 for the LT's low beam, and get as low a K temp as you can (5000K in this case).

Also, search this site for CQLight, and you'll get lots of info, reviews, installation hints, etc. The reviews have been so positive that I just ordered a set for my wife's car, as well as for a friend overseas.

I was thrilled with my original $500 HID kit many years ago, but at this price they should be the first mod on every LT out there.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:13 pm

Thumbs up Lites

I've an 05 LT and have the low beam HID (wish I'd gotten the hi-beam too); just installed the MotoLights onto the calipers and they look great! Had the PIAA's on my GT, but was frequently getting flashed by cagers.

Buddy of mine just installed MotoLights and hi/low beam HID's; I was in front of him yesterday and you could surely tell he was on the road...
post #9 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:18 pm

1. IMHO the triangle of light makes sense. I think the Motolights are great for being more visual and obvious to cages coming towards you. I had them put on in Shelbyville, TN at the BMWRA rally by the Motolights people. Rode there with another LT who typically takes the lead. He could not believe how much of a difference it made looking back at me. We rode most of the way back to Since in fog and rain.

2. But, Motolights will not give you the light you are looking for for night driving and for that matter HID will not give you the daytime visual boost that Motolights give you during the daytime.

3. That said I think the ideal setup if Motolights and an HID installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110-1090_IMG.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	1647  

Ken Norris
Union, Kentucky
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300
Beemer-less....for now!
post #10 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor
... to be more visible and help with the lighting on corners and close up go for the triangle look with the lights mounted just under the tip-over wings.
Does mounting lights under the tipover wings negate the installation of Jpegs, or can those two things co-exist?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #11 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Use the Hyperlight on your high beam ALL THE TIME. You'll stop "left turners" dead in in their tracks with it -and isn't that what it is all about?
Ron, is "Hyperlight" a flashing device, like a headlight modulator?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #12 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:26 pm

As you know, I love my MotoLights. But...I am also installing a low-beam HID in a few weeks. So, I'll have both sets of MotoLights and an HID. No, I won't have Ron's beloved flashing headlight. But then again, I HATE those things day or night, and I would NEVER...and I'll repeat NEVER have one of those things on one of my bikes. The reason Ron, as well as others don't believe in the triangulation principle is because they don't understand it. And that's OK. I am ALL ABOUT triangulation. The wider you can make your bike appear to a cager's mind, the more likely a cager's mind (notice I used the word "mind" and not "eyes") will see you through their mind's eye and yield to you. One flashing light can still be ignored by a cager's mind. They annoy me because I see all bikes...as I am a rider. Cagers are idiots. Enough said.

Personally, I think if you're going to have just one set of MotoLights, you should've gone with the Raster Mount set. Even more triangulation, and better visibilty for you. Either way, I highly recommend you ordering an HID. I'll come down and help you with the install. Or...you can come here. We can talk more about it at the show this Saturday.
post #13 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Does mounting lights under the tipover wings negate the installation of Jpegs, or can those two things co-exist?
Yes, they co-exist wonderfully. The Raster-Mount MotoLights mount in front of the J-Pegs.

post #14 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I think it all helps.

The triangulation theory does work. I know this because it gets my attention, and it just stands out as different, which is a good thing.

Headlight modulators also work, for much the same reasons. They're just different. Some people swear by them, some hate them. You gotta weigh the increased safety versus possible annoyance and make up your own mind for your own bike.

I also notice a difference with just a low beam HID, even in the daytime here in SoCal. Even when splitting lanes, cars see me more often than they used to. And anything that gets these brain-dead cagers to look is worth it.

So there are lots of options, depending on your budget and needs.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #15 of 56 Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:51 pm

Question When is enough . . . "enough"?!

Once I install the HID (just ordered) and the third set of halogens, I'll take a pic. Yep...a third set! I found halogen ovals that fit perfectly under the headlight of my '02. I'm going to aim them close and off to each side. So if you thought I looked like a 747 last year . . .think again.

post #16 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 7:02 am

Question Naive Newbie Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Try CQLight. You want the H7 for the LT's low beam, and get as low a K temp as you can (5000K in this case).

Also, search this site for CQLight.
Ken--thanks for the cq site!

And now, time for the Newbie comedy hour!

Naive Newbie Question #1a: I am going to order the low beam kit--does the 05 model use the H7 kit as well? 1b: I've heard a few folks say they shudda gotten the high beam kit, too--anyone happen to know the kit number for that? i didn't see it advertised on the cq site, but then again, i prolly wouldn't know it if i was looking directly at it.

Naive Newbie Question #2: whadahek are da jpegs? I tried a search but of course, all i got back were pics of beemers--lots n lots of beemers....

Last edited by NevadaNez; Jan 24th, 2006 at 7:09 am.
post #17 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 7:06 am

Talking Aux Light Switching..

Just a note: Slaving your aux light control circuit to a circuit that shuts down every time you start your engine will decrease the life of your bulbs.

i.e.....

key to on = lights on,
key to start = lights off,
engine start = lights back on..

this is one additional on/off cycle every time you start your bikes engine !

It doesn't take that much effort to hit the light switch button to turn on your lights after you start your engine; and if you have connected your switch to an 'ignition sense source', then you don't have to worry about leaving your lights on, or someone else turning them on when you are away from the bike...

Just some food for thought....

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #18 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Yes, they co-exist wonderfully. The Raster-Mount MotoLights mount in front of the J-Pegs.

Doh--why, i think i now know what jpegs are....
I want some!!!!

Thankeeeeee, JOE!!!!

post #19 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNez
Naive Newbie question #1: I am going to order the H7 for the Naive, but i've heard a few folks say they shudda gotten the high beam kit, too--anyone happen to know the kit number for that? i didn't see it advertised on the cq site, but then again, i prolly wouldn't know it if i was looking directly at it.
Someone will answer that shortly...or I can look it up later. But IIRC, it's not listed as an H7 on their site.

Personally, I recommend just getting the low-beam first and see if you really need the high-beam HID. Then again, I already have 2 sets of MotoLights on my LT, and a 3rd set getting installed when I install my low-beam HID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNez
Naive Newbie Question #2: whadahek are da jpegs?
J-Pegs are highway pegs for the LT. There are 4 or 5 choices of highway pegs, and the J-Pegs are probably the most popular. J-Pegs come in two varieties...regulars and XLs. Pricey but well made.
post #20 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 7:21 am

Thumbs up A switched relay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount
Just a note: Slaving your aux light control circuit to a circuit that shuts down every time you start your engine will decrease the life of your bulbs.

i.e.....

key to on = lights on,
key to start = lights off,
engine start = lights back on..

this is one additional on/off cycle every time you start your bikes engine !

It doesn't take that much effort to hit the light switch button to turn on your lights after you start your engine; and if you have connected your switch to an 'ignition sense source', then you don't have to worry about leaving your lights on, or someone else turning them on when you are away from the bike...

Just some food for thought....
An EXCELLENT suggestion at that!!! I am definitely utilizing a relay on my HID low-beam installation . . . and I intend on inserting a switch to the hot-lead of my relay. This is so inexpensive and easy, why wouldn't anyone do this. Oh yea...laziness. I almost forgot.
post #21 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 7:34 am

What would I do without ya, Joe???
THANKS!!!!

(Just visited the J Peg site--$OUCH$ But they are "dabomb"....)

post #22 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:16 am

Quote:
Ron, is "Hyperlight" a flashing device, like a headlight modulator?
Yep!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #23 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:18 am

Quote:
As you know, I love my MotoLights. But...I am also installing a low-beam HID in a few weeks. So, I'll have both sets of MotoLights and an HID. No, I won't have Ron's beloved flashing headlight. But then again, I HATE those things day or night, and I would NEVER...and I'll repeat NEVER have one of those things on one of my bikes. The reason Ron, as well as others don't believe in the triangulation principle is because they don't understand it. And that's OK. I am ALL ABOUT triangulation. The wider you can make your bike appear to a cager's mind, the more likely a cager's mind (notice I used the word "mind" and not "eyes") will see you through their mind's eye and yield to you. One flashing light can still be ignored by a cager's mind. They annoy me because I see all bikes...as I am a rider. Cagers are idiots. Enough said.

Personally, I think if you're going to have just one set of MotoLights, you should've gone with the Raster Mount set. Even more triangulation, and better visibilty for you. Either way, I highly recommend you ordering an HID. I'll come down and help you with the install. Or...you can come here. We can talk more about it at the show this Saturday.

The only problem with my modulator is there is no way to put any chrome trim on it.

OR....... is there?

BTW - they only work during daylight - photocell turns them off at dusk.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #24 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:24 am

I'll still love Ron...even if he has that stooopeed leetle light that blinks at me. I'm kinda used to it anyway. If his light isn't blinking, he's winking at all the guys anyway!

As for your "chrome comment" . . . you dog! I almost said something about that but let it go. Now I'm ticked that I didn't say something first. I'll getcha next time!
post #25 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 9:31 am

Those raster mount Motolights look like pretty good excesssive turn angle indicators. Do they put out a lot of nice pretty sparks too .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #26 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:38 am

I have the best of all worlds: Raster mount Motolights, HID Low Beam and a headlight modulator. See and be seen.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #27 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 1:47 pm
RMW

HIDs for night time, period.

I have also installed PIIA's for day time while my Dad has installed Moto Lights. My replacement bulb is $50 his is $5. Both do a good job of making the bike more visible in the daytime and both do very little at night.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #28 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
Those raster mount Motolights look like pretty good excessive turn angle indicators. Do they put out a lot of nice pretty sparks too .
Lots of other hardware touches down before the MotoLights hit. In fact, the Raster Mounts don't even touch down when the LT is on it's side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
I have the best of all worlds: Raster mount Motolights, HID Low Beam and a headlight modulator. See and be seen.
I guess that's a good start. What? No caliper mounts? Or Micro DEs under the cowl?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW
HIDs for night time, period.

I have also installed PIIA's for day time while my Dad has installed Moto Lights. My replacement bulb is $50 his is $5. Both do a good job of making the bike more visible in the daytime and both do very little at night.
I respectively disagree with you on several counts.

First of all, your dad's replacement bulbs are FREE! All he has to do is call MotoLight. Full lifetime warranty on EVERYTHING...including lamps!

Seconds of all, my two sets of MotoLights do a LOT at night. I don't know what you're talking about. I know the OEM headlight is enemic...but when I turn my 4 MotoLights ON, the road is very well lit in front of me. I do know that the Raster-Mount pair throw off better light than the caliper-mount pair. I don't mean to discredit HIDs...they rock. I just ordered me a low-beam before posting this. But to say that MotoLights are just for the daytime is a bit of an over-statement...in my honest and humble opinion.
Jeffrop likes this.
post #29 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 2:58 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The '99-'04 LTs use an H7 low beam, and an H3 high beam, both of which are available from CQLight.ca.

The '05-'06 LTs use an H7 low beam, and an H9 high beam in a separate reflector assembly. CQLight doesn't offer an H9 bulb, but several members have used the H11 bulb as a drop-in replacement.

European bikes are the same, except that the '04 LTs have the newer H7/H9 setup. In any case, stick with the lowest temperature bulbs you can get (4000K-5000K). Higher temp bulbs put out more color but less useable light.

More info can be found in our Lighting forum, located under Accessories, Gadgets, and Gear.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #30 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 4:55 pm
RMW

Quote:

I respectively disagree with you on several counts.

First of all, your dad's replacement bulbs are FREE! All he has to do is call MotoLight. Full lifetime warranty on EVERYTHING...including lamps!

Seconds of all, my two sets of MotoLights do a LOT at night. I don't know what you're talking about. I know the OEM headlight is enemic...but when I turn my 4 MotoLights ON, the road is very well lit in front of me. I do know that the Raster-Mount pair throw off better light than the caliper-mount pair. I don't mean to discredit HIDs...they rock. I just ordered me a low-beam before posting this. But to say that MotoLights are just for the daytime is a bit of an over-statement...in my honest and humble opinion.

Joe,

Thanks for the tip on the bulbs I will pass it on to him.

I expect 4 would do a bit better but write back after you get the HID's on. I didn't actually say they were only for daytime just that they don't do much (should have said if you have HID). Even with 4 Moto-Lights I think you will see why I don't believe they do much once you get your HIDs on.

I will most likely have the caliper Moto-Lights in amber installed at CCR. First rate lights and free bulb's to boot!

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #31 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW
I expect 4 would do a bit better but write back after you get the HID's on.
You know I will.
post #32 of 56 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'll still love Ron...even if he has that stooopeed leetle light that blinks at me. I'm kinda used to it anyway. If his light isn't blinking, he's winking at all the guys anyway!

As for your "chrome comment" . . . you dog! I almost said something about that but let it go. Now I'm ticked that I didn't say something first. I'll getcha next time!
You are such a SAVAGE!

You won't believe what I found today - CHROME metallic plastic pin stripes....

It COULD happen....

NAH!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #33 of 56 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 7:50 am

HID question #99.44/100

You guys have convinced me that the HID is the way to go.
And I just read most of the post in the lighting forum but I still have a couple of questions.
I see that the bulbs are guaranteed for a year, that's very comforting but that guarantee won't help me a bit "when not if" the bulb fails out in the middle of BFE, I am assuming that a standard H7 will no longer work is this correct? So carrying a spare $50 bulb seems prudent, do you all do this? Is changing the bulb any different with the HID setup, could it be done on the side of the road?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #34 of 56 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 8:03 am

Hans, I ordered my HID low-beam yesterday...so I'll be installing it SOON. Anywho... I have always carried a spare H7 bulb with me. Upon installing my HID, I intended to have it so that (in case of an emergency) I could convert back to my H7 halogen in a few minutes. Several have already done this. It's not that much harder, just take a little planning. I'll be taking pics of my install, you can count on it.

By the way, on my way out to Seattle, I lost my low-beam. I just turned the headlight adjuster all the way down and ran my high-beam. Doing that, coupled with my 4 MotoLights really worked well. Just another reason to stay away from an HID high-beam, IMO...AND, another reason to install additional lighting of some sort or another. A set of cheapo halogens could "get ya home" in a pinch. Food for thought...
post #35 of 56 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 1:24 pm
RMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
You guys have convinced me that the HID is the way to go.
And I just read most of the post in the lighting forum but I still have a couple of questions.
I see that the bulbs are guaranteed for a year, that's very comforting but that guarantee won't help me a bit "when not if" the bulb fails out in the middle of BFE, I am assuming that a standard H7 will no longer work is this correct? So carrying a spare $50 bulb seems prudent, do you all do this? Is changing the bulb any different with the HID setup, could it be done on the side of the road?
Hans,

I have both high and low HID on my 05. IMHO its the only way to go. The high beam HID on a dark and lonely night is simply amazing and like many such things it is something you will not know how you did without once you have it. Both can be converted back to the stock bulb alongside the road and I carry both with me just in case. The HID is designed for a much longer life and is less likely to burn out than stock bulbs. Having said that:

Before HID I installed a set of PIAAs under the cowl. I was not satisfied with the night time lighting and installed both HIDs. One night at the end of a 3000+ mile trip with about 500 miles to go my low beam shorted out. (short was a dumb wiring mistake on my part and the stock bulb would not work when installed) I was too tired and it was too dark to screw around with electrical trouble shooting so I simply adjusted my PIAAs to work as a low beam and made it home without any problem.

If you do a lot of night riding you will not regret getting both HIDs. Carry the stock spare bulbs but you will likely not need them. (unless you don't carry them) and as Joe suggests, definitely a set of aux lights for that very important redundant system, plus the daytime advantages. Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #36 of 56 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 3:03 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I also carry the original H7 bulb as a backup. The only time I've had an HID problem was due to a relay connector issue. So if you wire the HID correctly, you could swap back to the original bulb at the side of the road.

Having said that, so far my HID has lasted for 5 years, two LTs, and almost 100K miles.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #37 of 56 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Talking

Quote:
...so far my HID has lasted for 5 years, two LTs, and almost 100K miles.
"I'll sell ya my LT . . . but the H.I.D. STAYS!!!"
post #38 of 56 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Having said that, so far my HID has lasted for 5 years, two LTs, and almost 100K miles.
good info, just what I needed

Judging from this quote you're trading em in before they even get broke in

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #39 of 56 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 4:00 pm

heer are the best lights

i heve motolights end 2+ very good lights more

zgmpl may k1200 lt 1 from 17 in israel
post #40 of 56 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 4:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Well, the '99 was a UK-spec bike, and wasn't worth shipping back to the US. I was trying to sell it, but no one in the UK would touch a bike with 36K on it. So instead I managed to hit some ice and run it into a ditch. The insurance paid full value for it, so it all ended up OK. I don't recommend this method though, as cracked ribs aren't fun.

My '02 is pushing 70K, and I fully expect to see 100K before it gets traded up for a newer LT.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #41 of 56 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Quote:
My '02 is pushing 70K, and I fully expect to see 100K before it gets traded up for a newer LT.
Its good to know you're getting your money's worth out of this one
and I expect you'll be keeping the HID when you trade up

For what its worth I ordered mine today

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #42 of 56 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
An EXCELLENT suggestion at that!!! I am definitely utilizing a relay on my HID low-beam installation . . . and I intend on inserting a switch to the hot-lead of my relay. This is so inexpensive and easy, why wouldn't anyone do this. Oh yea...laziness. I almost forgot.
How about in addition to the relay, and instead of the switch.... a TIME DELAY relay?
More expensive....yes, but much more sophisticated, and you avoid that "mission control" look.
Just a thought!

B Rgds
Kim
05 LT Ocean blue
post #43 of 56 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 11:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyK
How about in addition to the relay, and instead of the switch.... a TIME DELAY relay?
After contemplating my installation (while the HID kit is still enroute), I have decided to go with a couple of AutoSwitches. Those are the invisible switches that utilize the turn-signal cancellation button. And both types of AutoSwitches can be hooked up at the same time, giving you the capability of switching two devices on & off with the turn-signal cancellation button. Pretty slick.
post #44 of 56 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 9:18 am

Thumbs up

That is pretty slick. I had inquired about a TD relay from an electronics supplier, but the autoswitch seems to be more bike specific. The price is right too!
Thanks for the tip.

B Rgds
Kim
05 LT Ocean blue
post #45 of 56 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Quote:
For less than you paid for the Motolights, you could have gotten both low and high HID.
Hello Meese,

I have posted another reply here on this point, have you fitted both low and high yourself? Was it any more difficult to fit both? I am really curious why anyone would only fit one HID as opposed to both?

Thanks

Mark
post #46 of 56 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 3:25 pm

Lightbulb Lights-On / Lights-Off

[QUOTE=cfell]Yeah.. Motolights on the calipers.. Then the PIAA's under the nose will give you a great profile!...

I get power for the "control" circuit from the seat heating circuit because it pulls such low current. Also, when you crank the motor, that circuit automatically shuts off to reduce current draw and subsequently will de-energize the relay, turning off the lights...now isn't that cool? Grif taught me that!
__________________________________________________ ______

Think about this..

When you turn your ignition key to the 'on position', lights come on, push starter button, lights go out, engine on, and lights come back on... You have applied power to, turned on your PIAA's twice for every time you start your bike. Among other things, bulb life is affected by the number of cycles applied to the bulb. So you are effectively reducing your bulb life the way you have it connected. Many report a one year or less bulb life with the PIAA's. PIAA honors a 1 year replacement warranty thru your dealer, or retail source.

I used my PIAA switch connected to the parking lamp, for switched power, but always turned lights off before killing ignition, and turning lights on after ignition start. Between both bikes, I used the same set of 1100PX lights and never had a bulb failure, except when I dropped one off of my workbench one day ! , so I had to replace that one...

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #47 of 56 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 7:05 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I only have the low beam HID for three reasons.

1) It was the only thing available 5 years ago when I got it.

2) It was $500 for a single kit.

3) A modulating high beam is more useful in daytime city traffic than an HID high beam.

I have a set of PIAA 910 lights (110W each) that I will mount for high beam supplements, but obviously only when I'm way out in the boonies.

For $230, I'd probably get both low and high beam if I was doing the upgrade today (and didn't care about the headlight modulator).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #48 of 56 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 7:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
After contemplating my installation (while the HID kit is still enroute), I have decided to go with a couple of AutoSwitches. Those are the invisible switches that utilize the turn-signal cancellation button. And both types of AutoSwitches can be hooked up at the same time, giving you the capability of switching two devices on & off with the turn-signal cancellation button. Pretty slick.
Hey Joe, I have the Autoswitch for my single pair (so far) of Motolights, but wasn't aware you could have multiple Autoswitches. How does that work as you describe it (i.e., both connectd to the turn-signal cancel button)? I hold the cancel button for 1 second to turn on/off my Motolights.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #49 of 56 Old Feb 17th, 2006, 8:05 am

The "other" BMW AutoSwitch requires 2 taps within 2 seconds to turn On/Off the aux device. And yes, both can operate simulataneously.

I received the traditional one...but the new model is on back order from Cycle Gadgets.
post #50 of 56 Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 4:34 pm

Howard:

I'm impressed with you "State" logo and fill-in. How'd you do that?

Also, I've seen a "hardcopy" so to speak where folks put a similar decal on their bike and then fill in each state as they get there. Any idea where to get these?

Thanks,

Doug

Doug Laird

'13 R1200GSW
'10 R1200GS - Sold
'08 K1200LT
'05 K1200LT - Totaled from deer strike
'03 K1200LT - Traded
'71 TR6C (Original Owner) - Sold

IBA #27517 Blue Knights #44263

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in