HID (DDIM) install - wiring question.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm Thread Starter

Question HID (DDIM) install - wiring question....

Okay, based on everything I've read on the site and the great advice I've gotten, I'm ready to have a go at this upgrade. It all looks pretty straight forward, but I do have one question. In looking at the DDIM kit, it appears the power to the ballast is picked up from the red and black wires up near the bulb. I'm assuming these plug into the original H7 socket (bulb holder). Do these replace the yellow (power) and brown (ground) wires, or do they somehow piggy back onto the socket with existing yellow & brown wires staying in place? I have to think this is what happens, otherwise I go no idea how the HID gets power.

Assuming they plug into the socket and they yellow & brown wires stay, I guess the whole socket will also remain and gets tucked inside the dust cover. I don't think I've seen anyone post about exactly how this works. Sorry for being so clueless, but I really do appreciate the help from you guys. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 30th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Re: HID (DDIM) install - wiring question....

It plugs right in, no wire tapping. Really easy, if you where close I'd have it done in about 30 minutes. Just tuck the ballast on the plastic part on one of the sides below the dust cover. The ones that are parallel to the ground.

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army
post #3 of 3 Old May 30th, 2009, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

Re: HID (DDIM) install - wiring question....

Yup....it became quite obvious as soon as I pulled the bulb. The whole project took about 45 minutes because of all the information others have posted on the Forum. It's all done and working great. I'm planning on take a short ride tonight to see just how different it really is, but even in the bright Florida sun it's apparent that this is a big improvement.

Thanks again to everyone who shared their experience and knowledge on this project. Being a newbie your information made it really easy. I hope to meet some of you fine folks up in Johnson City at the National Rally in July.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in