Pheonix Switches - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Pheonix Switches

Sorry for the length of this post but there is rather a lot to explain.

I have recently fitted these switches to my 05LT. I will be using them to run my Motolights. This is a summary of what I had to find out, and what I did to fit the switches to the r/h side bars.

There are many posts regarding these switches on this and the old site (and the even older Yahoo Group) and I spent many an hour searching for as many references as I could find that would help me understand how all the various parts fitted together.

This search was partly successful in that I found out many things just by reading between the lines and understood even more after I had obtained the parts from my local dealer here in the UK. It was however not a complete picture so I thought I would post my own experiences of this process.

First the parts. The part list in the HOW gives the part numbers for all the parts you will need. In the UK there is one part (bolt - 07 11 9 906 411) which according to the computerised parts program is no longer available. More on this later.

The other parts are as follows: -
61 31 7 658 473 - switch (2 used)
61 31 7 660 444 - housing
65 14 7 651 032 - bolt
46 63 2 313 281 - screw

The housing is actually 3 pieces, a mounting bracket, a backing plate and the housing the switches mount in. The mounting bracket and backing plate snap together and the housing fits the backing plate and is held in place by a grub screw. Thats the one numbered 46 63 2 313 281.

In looking at these parts I was intrigued how they all went together so I removed the bar covers on the l/h side.

After removing the grub screw from the radio control housing I eased the housing from the backing plate and removed the bolt that mounts into the clutch reservoir (this is the bolt I mentioned earlier that was no longer in the parts catalogue in the UK). In my rather simple logic I thought I could obtain that bolt as it would have a (potentially) different part number for the l/h side radio controls. This was immediately disproved on reaching the dealer as at least in the UK you cannot seemingly obtain the radio controls as separate items. All was not lost however as the bolt (I am advised by my dealers parts chappie) is a 5mm thread approx 20mm long. He gave me a couple of 5mm bolts slightly longer than 20mm and I cut one down to size.

Now I had all the parts I needed I set about mounting the switches. First remove the r/h side bar covers (for the top cover 2 3mm allen bolts and the bottom 2 further 3mm allen bolts).

The mounting bracket (having been mated with the backing plate) is bolted to the underside of the brake lever. There are 2 bolts to mount and you need to remove a bolt already in place on the underside of the brake lever. Looking at the bike as you would if you were riding it the bolt you remove from underneath the brake lever is the one that will go in the left side of the mounting bracket. There is as you will discover no hole for the second mounting bolt (the r/h one). There is a plastic cover that already has one hole in it for the mounting bracket bolts. The r/h mounting hole has I am informed a screw thread already there but the plastic cover has no hole in it. If you want to use the r/h mount hole you have to cut a hole in the plastic cover.

I did not cut the hole in my installation. I was concerned at drilling or cutting a hole and the throttle cable do interfere a little with access to where the holes needs to be made and I could not see how to get the plastic cover out. I decided to see how secure the switch unit was with just one bolt under the brake lever and the bolt into the brake reservoir. Having fitted these bolts I found that the switch units were as stable as I could want them so I left things as they were. The mounting is very sturdy and I do not think that not having the second bolt mounted under the brake lever will cause me any problems.

At least one post that I found said that the mounting bracket that goes under the handlebars fits over the throttle cables as they pass down the bars, that is not the case. The bracket needs to fed under the cables. There is enough clearance to do this.

Having secured the mounting bracket and backing plate to the bars and brake reservoir feed the switch wires through and press fit them in place in their receptors. You are then in a position to secure the housing to the backing plate. You need to feed the wiring from the switches though the backing plate before you push the housing into place.

This is where you now fit the grub screw. This goes in from the front. It's a small screw and the clearance to get a driver in there is restricted but with a little care you can screw it in and the housing becomes tight to the backing plate. There is a small clip on the top of the switch housing that slots into the backing plate and the screw holds the bottom.

All that's left then is the wiring. I have not yet completed this part but hope to do so soon.

Until I connect the Pheonix switches I am using the switch that came with the Motolights. The Pheonix switches have 3 wires and my Motolight switch only 2. I presume that the 3rd wire is because of the Pheonix switches have a light in them to confirm activation. Does anyone have suggestions as to what to connect to what. I am not electrically minded and the posts I have read on the wiring of these switches has not really helped me.

Graham Jones
2005 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Graham,
Try going to the old site and do a search for "Phoenix". I know that there is a wiring picture there somewhere.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Graham,
I take my last statement back. Try searching for "help!! phoenix switch" on the old site. If you just type in Phoenix, it will bring back too many hits.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 3:17 am

Good write up, which would be even more valuable with a few photos. See Randy's first link in the HoW (b.1) for some wiring tips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in