What Wire Equals "Green" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 31st, 2009, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

What Wire Equals "Green"

Trying to install Trailblazer (starting to wonder why) on my '05 LT. The "detailed" directions if interpreted correctly say to attach the IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector) to the "Green" wire for the heating element of the passenger backrest. If I can ever get the wire that connects to the IDC to that location, I do not have a Green wire to attach the IDC. There are only Black, Brown and White. So, which one equals Green, if anybody knows. This little extra piece of equipment may be on its way back to the company.

Also, open to any other suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 31st, 2009, 7:20 pm

Re: What Wire Equals "Green"

Assuming the seat heater wiring hasn't changed since 2001, my schematics are for a 2001, there should be a Black, Grey and Brown wire at the passenger backrest heater. Both the Grey and Black wires are connected to the output of the seat heater switch and one or the other would be +12V depending on the heat setting of the switch (Hi or Lo). There will be no power at the connector if the seat heaters are turned off. That doesn't sound like a very good place to tap for power to the tailBlazer .

Unless the circuit is different on an '05, you should look for a different place to pick up power for the tailBlazer. I installed a relay and Blue Sea fuse box for powering a number of farkles I wanted to have on a switched power source. The previous owner had BMW install his Autocom system and they picked up +12 power from a wire near the charcoal canister under the passenger seat. I don't even know what they tapped into but I knew it was switched so I used that to trigger my relay. I ran my tailBlazer power lead all the way to my fuse box. None of this is really helpful to you but I wanted to explain why I didn't immediately suggest an option for you.

One possibility would be the power to the passenger Powerlet socket on the top case. On early models this is a switched circuit. Again if the circuit and wiring hasn't changed there should be a Violet/Green wire that would be +12V. I guess that really isn't important because there should only be two wires going into the socket and the one that is NOT Brown is the +12V .

Perhaps someone with a newer model can verify the top case Powerlet socket is still switched off with the ignition or suggest a better place to pick up power for the tailBlazer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Last edited by jwd98056; Mar 31st, 2009 at 8:12 pm.
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 31st, 2009, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. At least I now have some options.

Still open to anymore input.

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 31st, 2009, 9:59 pm

BROWN is GROUNd
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 1st, 2009, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

Angry Re: What Wire Equals "Green"

Spoke to Kisan Technologies today to inform them that their directions were useless for my bike. Their first response was to repeat the instruction manual in an email to me. After that I received a phone call in which the gentleman finally understood that there is not "Green" wire going to the passenger backrest heater and that the wire will not fit through the track already provided due to other wires. His response was "Huh?!". Finally, he decided that I could cut the end off of the wire and add another connector to get it through the wiring track. Then he stated that I could hook it into the 12v wire leading to the passenger powerpoint, if it will reach. This easy install stuff is very trying. I haven't given up yet, but I will have almost the entire rear end stripped off this bike before I get this done, if I get this done. Wouldn't be a problem if I expected to have to do it and it wasn't advertised differently. Would not necessarily recommend the TailBlazer on the ease of installation. Hopefully, safety is a different story. If only I had a Green wire!
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 1st, 2009, 9:50 pm

oh, BTW.. I'm color blind.. so my wife verified.. the wire was BROWN.
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 1st, 2009, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Kisan even verified it was a Brown wire and that it was the ground wire after he realized that the 2005 LT had a toggle switch and not a rotary switch. It was shortly there after that he became speechless.
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: What Wire Equals "Green"

Since I started this thread, I thought that I would finish it with comments on the TailBlazer as an install for at least an O5 LT with the Hi/Low toggle switch for the seat heater. If you decide to purchase the TailBlazer keep in mind that the instructions are almost worthless for any LT with the toggle switch for the heated seat. The following is the method I finally used to install the device. I am sure there are better alternatives, but this is an effort to allow someone to learn from my installation mistakes/learning.

First, from the underside of the trunk lid remove the mirror and speaker and cover on the left side of the trunk. Then remove the passenger/pillion seat by removing the two bolts under the driver's seat with an Allen Wrench then slide the seat forward to remove it. The final item to remove is the cover to the passenger stereo/com hook-up and power point (this is easier with the passenger seat out of the way). Contrary to the TailBlazer instructions you do not need to remove the passenger backrest.

With everything removed unplug the connector going to the lite bar on the luggage rack. Next plug the TrailBlazer in line as instructed. On my bike the female end needed to be plugged in in a manner that appeared to be upside down, so that it did not match up to the TrailBlazer as clean match. The red wire attached to the TrailBlazer must be fed through the hole/channel leading down to the speaker area. On my bike this required cutting the end off of the red wire that had the male end of the T-wire splice attached to it. It would not fit through the channel with the other wires without removing the connector. Run the red wire down through the speaker area into the box containing the powerpoint/speaker/com plug-ins feeding the wire on to the area beneath the passenger seat. At this point you should run out of wire.

A note of caution there was some discussion in this thread about attaching to the powerpoint hot wire. That will not work due to the fact that this is always hot. You must have a wire that is hot only after the ignition is turned on. Kisan told me I could use this wire and after splicing to it I realized that it would not work, because it was constantly hot.

My next step was to find a wire that was hot after the ignition was turned on. I went to fuse box #2 and used the seat heater wire out of fuse position #5. On my bike this was a Green wire with a Blue stripe. I removed the wire from the electric that was wrapped around the bundle. To that wire I attached a T-wire splice. NOTE: You could use an empty fuse location, but I was going with a sure method of making the TailBlazer work and after a week of trial and error I was becoming impatient.

Next, using your own piece of 18 gauge wire attach the male end of the wire splice and connect it to the T-wire splice. Weave the wire under and along with other wires under the passenger seat to the point where the TailBlazer wire comes to an end. Attach the 2 wires with an in-line wire splice. At this point when you turn on the ignition key you will most likely see that your TailBlazer still will not work. You will need to start the bike and then apply the brake. It should work. The bike needs to be running to supply enough voltage to make the TailBlazer work. If you want to adjust the brightness you can hold the break and turn the ignition key 3 times as instructed without starting the bike to make the adjustment. Also, don't forget that if you TailBlazer still does not work right that you want to play with attaching the female end of the light bar plug to the output/male end of the TailBlazer (it needs to be what looks, at least to me, to be upside down). Finally, the hot wire running from the TailBlazer should be running along side many other wires. Wrap the hot wires and the other wires together with electric tape. Also, thoroughly wrap all the wire splices to keep any potential water out of the splices.

Now you can reinstall everything that you removed. Oh, by the way, it is easier to put the cover back on the speaker/com connection and powerpoint box before reattaching the passenger seat. You may have difficulty re-attaching the speaker to the trunk lid. Have someone else hold the speaker tightly in place until you finally get the holes lined up. This can require an extreme amount of patience.

These instructions may seem confusing, but they are far better than any response you will get from Kisan. Again you may have other methods of wiring the TailBlazer, but this worked for me. Once I finally had everything figured out and wired I was so ecstatic that I forgot to take any pictures. Hopefully, this will help any unsuspecting purchasers of the Kisan TailBlazer. I should note that the Kisan PathBlazer installed exactly as the instructions directed. Now hopefully after all of this no one will rear end me.
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 1:57 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrider
On my bike this required cutting the end off of the red wire that had the male end of the T-wire splice attached to it. It would not fit through the channel with the other wires without removing the connector.
I was able to route the cable (connector and all) after I shoved a make-shift "fish tape" into the channel behind the speaker (which consisted of 2-pairs of 24 ga. wire from a CAT5e cable, all twisted tightly together). I was then able to pull the whole thing through with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrider
A note of caution there was some discussion in this thread about attaching to the powerpoint hot wire. That will not work due to the fact that this is always hot. You must have a wire that is hot only after the ignition is turned on. Kisan told me I could use this wire and after splicing to it I realized that it would not work, because it was constantly hot.
Did they change this across model years? I recently installed one, and connected it to the "powerlet" outlet in the trunk. Did it this way because I wanted it self contained within the trunk so I had the ability to remove the trunk without disconnecting an "extra" wire.

I KNOW that the outlet, at least on my '02, is a SWITCHED outlet, unlike the driver's lower powerlet outlet.

Glad it all worked out for you - I personally love the thing, especially the ability to be dimly "on" while riding, and it matches (somewhat) the flash-rate of the TailBlazer I have installed.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush

Last edited by Gino; Apr 6th, 2009 at 2:06 am.
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 8th, 2009, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

The power outlet on my '05 is always on and without a switch. Therefore, the TailBlazer would not work without the ignition on/off to trigger it's settings. Also, I think they changed the connector end on the TailBlazer so that it would not fit through the wiring access from the trunk lid. I tried everything that you did without success. I finally realized that it would be impossible to get it through there. I think Kisan has a setup for pre-'05 LT's and they are going to have to either make some changes or leave it up to everybody to experiment with their own wiring solutions. I could have and probably should have wired mine in a more secure/watertight manner, but the bike had been torn apart for a week while I thought about and worked on this project. I was ready to get it back together and on the road. It's Spring here and gotta ride (with the exception of the past couple of days).
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2009, 7:05 am

You know I feel your pain, I installed one on my 02, but didn't have near the problems you had. I liked the flashing tail on the luggage rack I ordered the bulbs for the tail lights as well. These were much easier.

2002 LT 'The Golden Girl'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in