Motolights Install Gone Wrong - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2009, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Motolights Install Gone Wrong

After buying a set off of a board member two years ago, I finally got the balls to install of a set of motolights.

After stripping off the plastic yesterday, I got them bolted on and ran the harness, relay to my Bluesea fuse box. I installed a 25 amp fuse in the block. The fuse block has a 30 amp fuse that is attached to the rear heat seater as a switched power source. As per the diagram, I ran the + wire to the fuse box and I grounded the lights to the bike. When I turn the bike on, no lights?

I futzed with for an hour or so before I gave up. I even tried hooking the positive to the battery- no dice.

I'm thinking dead bulbs but both bulbs dead?

I was also thinking that the 30 amp inline fuse to the Bluesea may not be strong enough but I really have no clue what the hell I'm talking about.

Could the relay in the harness be bad? The harness also has a 20 amp fuse. I though 25 in the block would be good enough but obviously it wasn't.

Any ideas?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:00 pm

Re: Motolights Install Gone Wrong

Rob..
Increasing the size of the fuse will only let out more smoke....

I don't have the Moto lights.. but someone here will pop in with an answer for you about the amperage.

The relay might be defective..
The bulbs may be burnt..
You may not have it wired correctly
You may have a bad wire or connector..

You should be able to leave the bulbs in the housing and check from the relay... if there is continuity all the way to the bulbs and back, they are not burnt.

A quick way to "test" is by using a meter... you can pull the lamps and do a "continuity" test on them, but you can do the same using the wires from the relay.. looking for low "resistance" as close to "zero" as possible.. certainly less than 2 ohms.

If you're having trouble making battery connections, use a "fork" style wiring connector.. loosen the battery terminal bolt and slide the new terminal betwen the post and the bolt head.. .. tighten.

As for the connection for the 30 amp fuse.. if it is going to the seat heater wire, then that is not right.. the main supply to the bluesea to pull 30 amps would need to be connected to the positive (+) battery terninal.... the wire from the seat heater can be used to "control" the relay...
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:22 pm

When you say you ground to the bike, are you meaning the frame? Never ground to a BMW frame, if you did that, that's your problem.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:04 pm

What did you do about powering the relay. The relay closes the circuit between the power source and the motolights. If you aren't going to use the relay, you will need to unplug the relay and install a jumper on the switch legs. Take a short piece of wire and crimp on male spades, one at each end of the wire. Be sure to use #12 or #10 wire.

If you are using the seat heater switch to power the motolights, what about the heater? You'll have a hot seat when the Motolights are on.

Why not wire it correctly?

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

Last edited by Daveh; Mar 30th, 2009 at 12:25 pm.
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2009, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
When you say you ground to the bike, are you meaning the frame? Never ground to a BMW frame, if you did that, that's your problem.
I'm using one of the three bolts near the BMW fuses. I was told that this was a good place to use to ground all of the circuits to my Bluesea.

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #6 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2009, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh
Why not wire it correctly?
At this point, I'm up for anything.

I want them wired to my my headlight for an always on connection. What is the easiest way of doing this?

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #7 of 12 Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
At this point, I'm up for anything.

I want them wired to my my headlight for an always on connection. What is the easiest way of doing this?
I think the ground to a bolt next to the OEM fuse holder should be OK but if in doubt just run it straight to the negative battery terminal.

Run the main plus 12 volts from the switched power on your Bluesea box through a 20/30 amp fuse. You could also run the low current + 12 volts for the coil side of the inline Motolight relay either from your Bluesea,assuming it's a switched power source, or pick up the +12 from the heated seat connection or the parking light. The ground for the coil side of the Moto relay can go to the same ground as the Bluesea. There may be other alternatives but that's pretty much what I would do.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #8 of 12 Old Mar 31st, 2009, 11:09 am

Rob... I wish you lived a little closer to Nor Cal... I'd rewire that dude for you and you would never have another concern.

I just got done installing a set of mirror mounted lights and have done three sets of Moto's, one PIAA and two Blue Sea installs.

The relay trip wire (IMHO) should go to the parking lamp. The seat heater wire can and will draw a lot of amps and movement on these connections always creates problems (i.e. opening the seat, adjusting the rear spring, etc. etc. etc.). IMHO, attaching a relay trip line here is not a good idea.

The Blue Sea should be PLUS and MINUS to the battery terms. While grounding to the bike is something your grandfather used to do, the Blue Sea is better suited to get power right from the battery. Use as a minimum 14 GA. wire. I use 12 GA in all my installs. Once complete, I have three positive connection wires on the battery and two negative connection wires on the battery. All other farkle bits and pieces (ground effects lighting, Moto lights, FRS power connections, side marker lamps, PIAA's, Sat radio, GPS, etc.) go to the Blue Sea. And all that crap about getting radio interference doing it this way is just that, a lot of crap.

I've done Auto switch, custom switch mount toggles, "ignition on" wiring and have yet to have one of those installations go bad or not work. For your installation, find the relay trip wire on the Moto Light harness. Route it to the front of the bike and hang in on the blue/white wire in the parking lamp (not the brown wire). Tape the connection once complete (use hot melt for sealing if you can).

In my travels I have seen two bikes that became charcoal. Both of them due to faulty wiring. I vowed that if I got a chance to farkle a bike, it would be done right the first time.

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #9 of 12 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Rob...Did you get your Motolights hook up?

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #10 of 12 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Not yet. I'm looking to someone in my local group look at it at the next tech session.

Otherwise, I'll bring it in to a local mechanic.

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #11 of 12 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 8:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I guess I missed this post before STC, we could have looked at it then Rob.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 12 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage

We talked about looking at it but I felt awful asking for your help considering how beautiful the weather was that week. If it was raining, I definitely would have pushed the issue but because it was so nice, I said screw it- Let's Ride!

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in