Motolights Install Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Garage
Motolights Install Question

As some of you may know, I've been talking about installing a set of Motolights on the LT for some time. I'm planning on tackling this project next weekend.

I'm looking at the harness and wiring instructions and have a few questions. I want to wire the lights onto the bike so that they're always on. I have a BlueSea fuse box that is connected to the heated seat as my power source. I'm thinking I can simply connect both connectors to the BlueSea. The directions state connect one leg says to the + battery. This leg has a inline 20 amp fuse connected to it. The other leg has three wires coming out of the relay and this leg should be connected to to the ground. Again, no problem connecting them to the Bluesea.

Coming off the relay is a third wire that appears to have been cut by the previous owner of the lights. My guess is that is the wire that connected to the switch. If I'm not looking to use the switch, can I simply tape or heat shrink wrap this connection?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:45 am

Re: Motolights Install Question

Wow... You got some things going on there...

I am not so sure that the power provided by the heating wire is sufficient to handle the power draw of a set of Moto's... and provide heat (or supply power to any other device branched off the Blue Sea).

In my case, power is supplied to the Blue Sea direct from the battery. I have ample power to run all the stuff I have on the bike. It also cleans up the number of individual connections I have going to the battery. Makes R&R of the batt a piece of pie!

For the Moto's, I believe that single wire is what you would use to tap power from either the parking lamp or seat heater line. That wire pops the relay closed so that power runs to the Moto's. In other words, you turn your key, power flows to the relay source, and your Moto's turn on. They can be wired thru the Blue Sea, but that relay source wire has to be tied to a line that is only on when the switch is on.

Couple of thoughts:

1. If your working on the bike and you need the key on for long periods, your Moto's are running all the time. You may want to rethink switch.

2. If you ride in a group and you are not the lead and not the caboose, yo may want to rethink switch. Those things can be very annoying to those riding in front of you.

3. If you are sitting in a nice quiet, dark setting, having those things on can spoil the mood. You may want to rethink switch.

Still... I'm not so sure about the seat heater powering the Blue Sea... I may be wrong and hope others chime in, but I'd start there...

my $.02...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #3 of 6 Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
2. If you ride in a group and you are not the lead and not the caboose, yo may want to rethink switch. Those things can be very annoying to those riding in front of you.
And your point is? I don't care where I ride in the group, the MotoLights stay on. I don't care about whether it's annoying to you or not, I want to be seen by all. most importantly other vehicles. And just because you're riding in a group, doesn't mean everyone gets seen. JM2CW!!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 2:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Have a BlueSea also.

I use the seat heater which goes live when the ignition is turned on (and does not power the lights) to trigger a relay that derives it's power through the BlueSea . Then employ one of the fused circuits to power the Motolights. If I want to kill the lights, I can just pull the BlueSea fuse but really have no need to do that.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 6 Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Garage

That was my plan for killing the lights if the need ever arose.

Thanks!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #6 of 6 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 6:13 am
cws

Garage

some pics and notes on my Motolight install here, including tapping into low-beam so lights are always on, unless I use the supplied switch to kill them.... (haven't yet.. ).
They are a lifesaver!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in