CQ or HID-on-line - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Question CQ or HID-on-line

I NEED to upgrade to HID. The price for the HID-on-line hi & low kits seem to be dble that of CQ. Are they that much better? Are they easier to install?
I don't mind paying the extra $$ if there is some justification.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 9:04 am

Unfortunately, In this case there doesn't seem to be any significant quality differences between the expensive kit and the less expensive CQ kit..
They deliver to your door in like 48 hours....The only real difference is that the CQ kit has separate igniters instead of it all being in one box.....Mine works just fine....
So far...........Only time will really tell.....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
Unfortunately, In this case there doesn't seem to be any significant quality differences between the expensive kit and the less expensive CQ kit..
They deliver to your door in like 48 hours....The only real difference is that the CQ kit has separate igniters instead of it all being in one box.....Mine works just fine....
So far...........Only time will really tell.....

John
Although there seems to be many positive posts on the CQ option, I ordered the hi/low kit from HID-online. It seems like a proven product both in quality & installation. There's just gotta be a difference for that kind of $$
And yes.....Only time will tell.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:35 pm

HID Options

I used the HID Online kit for my LT (low beam ) and love it. I put the CQ kit on my Explorer Sport Trac.
The HID Online kit is all Philips parts and of better quality. They also offer the 4200K color which looks much whiter and brighter.
The CQ kit only offers 5000 k
as their lowest color. It looks much bluer to me. The CQ kit seems to be of lower quality and not 'name" brand . It dosn't use a relay and has seprate igniter. I don't think that a relay is necessary for excessive amp draw but it will isolate the ballast so a short wont cause a fire.
I must say that all this said, I havent had any problems with my CQ kit and would use them again for my cages.

Dave Lancello
Indianapolis Indiana
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
2003 K1200LTE
2006 Harley Street Rod
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
....The only real difference is that the CQ kit has separate igniters instead of it all being in one box.....
John
Which is a PLUS when installing on something like the LT, with limited spaces under the fairings to put thing. The ignitor, which has to be close to the bulb, is small and easy to position somewhere under the nose cowling. The ballast then can be put anywhere on the bike. There is room for the one piece ballast though, as many of us have use them, but if putting in both high and low HID ballast room becomes premium.

I had HID driving lights under my mirrors, and they were the type with the ignitor on the back of the bulb, with the ballast wired with normal wiring. It would have been MUCH harder to do that with one piece ballast assemblies.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

I understood the Online kit to be assembled specifically for the Lt. Meaning that the components used would fit the application. As a matter of fact, I think I recall someone saying that Raffey had some input into the design. Maybe I read wrong, or read to much into it??

Anyway... I'm sure it will work out fine. I just feel more comfortable with the Online kit overall, despite the higher cost.
I will let you know if I am disappointed.

I do appreciate your input.
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 9:17 pm
RMW

I have no experience with CQ but have both Hi and Lo HID kits in my 05 from HID-Online. Everything was made to fit and of top quality. I am very satisfied with the 30k miles or so of use so far. Both ballasts fit in the nose cone above the light housing.

My Low beam HID light pattern was off a bit (according to the engineers the bulb had a problem with the geometric placement of light) giving me a strange light pattern to the right of my bike. HID-Online backed the product and sent me a new bulb that works correctly. First rate customer service.

HID online engineers also responded to an inquiry I made of them when I asked about a non-relay wiring harness. Here is, in part, their response.

"...we would never recommend wiring any HID system directly so would always recommend a wiring harness with relay and fuse for 2 very important reasons, 1. to protect your wiring because your vehicle is not designed to cope with the 23KV strike current of the HID and without protecting it and running a safe system you potentially risk melting the switching at best and at worst causing a fire."

I think you will be very satisfied with the kit.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW
I think you will be very satisfied with the kit.
Thanks Ron...... You made my day!

I am hoping the kit arrives tomorrow so I can install on the weekend.

B Regards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in