Hyper Whites vs P3 Photon Blaster - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Hyper Whites vs P3 Photon Blaster

I am interested in installing some "conspicuity" running lights to the front end of my bike. I have visited both Hyperlites and P3lights sites and found 2 products that are for this very purpose.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with either of these products? I'm familiar with the rear auxiliary brake lights by both companies. In fact, I have a set of Hyperlites on the rear of my LT. Many of you have spoken highly about P3lights.

The pictures on both sites were taken directly in front of the bikes they're installed on which, in my opinion, doesn't give you realistic views. I would like to see some pics of these products as you would see them from the opposite lane, offset, like a cager would see them.

If any of you have opinions or pictures, I'd love to hear from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 12th, 2009, 10:12 pm

Re: Hyper Whites vs P3 Photon Blaster

Unlike P3 Lights, which have an 8 degree viewing angle, intended to restrict their visibility primarily to traffic behind you, Photon Blasters have a 30 degree viewing angle in order to be highly visible to traffic in the oncoming lane.

The flicker feature also greatly increases your bike's conspicuity compared to normal lights, particularly to oncoming drivers in the adjacent lane. The flicker rate is such that it is quite noticeable in their peripheral view, whereas when viewed straight on the flicker disappears.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 5:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskene
Unlike P3 Lights, which have an 8 degree viewing angle, intended to restrict their visibility primarily to traffic behind you, Photon Blasters have a 30 degree viewing angle in order to be highly visible to traffic in the oncoming lane.

The flicker feature also greatly increases your bike's conspicuity compared to normal lights, particularly to oncoming drivers in the adjacent lane. The flicker rate is such that it is quite noticeable in their peripheral view, whereas when viewed straight on the flicker disappears.
WARNING! Flikering lights, except for headlights modulated per federal regulations, are illegal!

The federal regulations specifically state the modulation rate, and the minimum light level required at the low point of the modulation (they cannot turn completely off). Anything out of this range, or applied to other than headlights on a motorcycle, is illegal.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 9:34 am

$150.00 for some "flickering" yellow LED's that will get you nothing more than a ticket from an overzealous cop?

I've seen some really nutz ideas but this one wins!

Go with the hyperlight on your halogen high beam if you want max conspicuity. Turn it off on the Interstate. Keep it on at ALL other times. Install HID on the low beam.

Keep a copy of the Federal Motor Vehicle rules (supplied with the lights) next to your insurance and registration papers.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 13th, 2009, 6:20 pm

I've seen both the front and rears that the questions are being asked about. As a matter of fact, I talked to a police officer about them in a dealership on my out of town travels. He said that these are the best lights he's seen for getting motorist's attention. I asked about the flicker and said he didn't notice until he stared at them and then could see. He said that he wouldn't write a ticket for any bike that had them on it. He wished he could convince his PD to put them on their motors. I'm looking to add the P3s to the back of my LT.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 8:17 am

Both P3 Lights and Photon Blasters have been carefully designed to conform with the federal regulations on automotive lights. They operate in the same manner that a federally legal headlight modulator does, that is, in their low brightness state they never go below 17% of full brightness. They do not go off, and so are not "flashing lights", which are clearly illegal on non-emergency vehicles in all states.

Many, many of these conspicuity lights have been sold to virtually all states in the union (and several countries outside the US), and we have not ever heard that a customer was cited for a non-conforming light. Quite the contrary in fact; many customers have said the same as Steve_R, that their local police love these lights, and wish more riders would use them.

post #7 of 8 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 8:07 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. I have installed a cqlight HID low beam and brighter hi beam bulb. I am interested in creating the familiar 3 points of light on the front.

As a police officer of 20+ years, (and motor officer for 6), I have never been drawn to write a ticket for any motorcyclist who has installed auxillary lighting to make themselves more visible, blinking, flashing, or flickering. I have installed hyperlites on the rear of my LT (a gift), and several motorist have commented on the added visibility. In fact, another rider following me the other day stopped beside me at a traffic light. He asked me what those lights were and where did I get them. He was equally impressed.

I think both products will work very well for what I want but I'm leaning towards the P3 Photon Blasters because of the amber color. I think it will be noticed more.

Here in the southeastern US, law enforcement in general, has far more serious and violent crimes to deal with than to be concerned with some auxilliary lights on a motorcycle so, when you travel through this area, you're safe !

For the rest of you in other parts of the country who encounter the ridiculous officer who would write tickets for this, try a little humor on them. Tell them to try decaf !!!
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 5:42 am

Thumbs up Re: Hyper Whites vs P3 Photon Blaster

I recently installed a set each of Photon Blaster and P-3 conspicuity lights from Skene Designs on my 2009 BMW R1200RT. I am very impressed with their effectiveness. Everyone I've shown them to over the last couple weeks is also impressed, including the folks at my local BMW dealer, front and back rooms. I've left both sets in their default programming modes, which I believe are the most effective.

They install very easily, exactly as described on Skene's website. I did have one variation on the suggested installation. Prior to installing these items, I installed an Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse panel and 30 A harness with relay, which has 6 switched circuits and 2 unswitched circuits. The fuse panel installed nicely on duo-lock strips under the back seat in the center area which is occupied by the suspension pre-load setting knob and cylinder on non-ESA bikes. Then I used two of the switched circuits with low-amperage fuses in the circuit for the Skene light sets. This required only one trip up the left side, under the tank to the front of the bike to install a tap on the left parking light wire which serves the 6 switched circuits on the fuse block. (One thing that is very handy about working with a fuse panel such as the PC-8 is that all one must do to avoid the risk of frying the electrical system on the bike is to pull the 30 A fuse in the hot wire from the fuse panel harness to the battery before taking the top off the fuse panel.)

These lights are a bit pricey. But, what is the value of a life?!?! Of not becoming the meat in a cage sandwich?!

Now, I've just ordered a second set of both for the other RT in the "family" and can't wait to receive and install them so everyone feels equally safe on the road.

Rush Shortley
Iowa City, IA
2009 R1200RT - Titan Silver (His)
2009 R1200RT - Sapphire Black - Lowered Suspension (Hers)
2005 K1200LT (Sold)
1969 R69S/2 (My first bike. Long gone but not forgotten.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in