PIAA 1100X - Mounting on/off switch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

PIAA 1100X - Mounting on/off switch

I just picked up a PIAA 1100X model specific kit for my LT. Looks like this will be my first tupperware removal exercise. :-)

I also understand its best to remove the fuel tank for harness routing.

Just wondering, where folks have mounted the on/off switch? Instructions don't show/offer a suggestion.

Any other issues I should be mindful with this kit?

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Re: PIAA 1100X - Mounting on/off switch

The lights were my first addition to the bike. You do not need to remove the gas tank to route the wiring harness. I mounted the on/off switch with double sided tape on the front brake reservoir by the right hand. I also slaved the lights to the high beam. During the day, I run high beam light and PIAAs. At night, I run whatever lights I can without blinding on-coming traffic.
post #3 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 4:25 pm

You don't have to remove the tank to route the wiring harness back to the battery or fuse block connection. You can slide a rigid piece of wire (coat hanger) from the front along the frame rail to the back of the tank and use that as a pull wire for the harness. Next time you "need" to remove the tank you can straighten up the harness if needed.

I mounted the switch directly below the headlight adjustment knob.

-Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"

post #4 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the good replies! I like both your switch mounting locations. Master Cylinder location seem very logical.

I'd really like to route under the tank if possible. Fish tape idea sounds wise & simple too.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #5 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Silverhair;

Here are two shots of where I mounted my switch for the 1100 Piaa lights. Easy access with the left hand when riding.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bowdon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	1429
Size:	680.4 KB
ID:	21398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG
Views:	811
Size:	945.0 KB
ID:	21399  
post #6 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 7:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhair
I just picked up a PIAA 1100X model specific kit for my LT. Looks like this will be my first tupperware removal exercise. :-)

I also understand its best to remove the fuel tank for harness routing.

Just wondering, where folks have mounted the on/off switch? Instructions don't show/offer a suggestion.

Any other issues I should be mindful with this kit?
I have mine exiting on the right side under the seat in the recess where the seat heater switches are located. I wired it into the high beam circuit so I normally just leave the PIAA switch on and let the high beam switch control the driving lights.

I bought an Autoswitch but found that it won't work if I do a legal (high beam controlled) driving light installation. If you wire the PIAAs directly to a 12V source, then you can use an Autoswitch, but my understanding is that in some areas it is not legal to have driving lights that can be on other than with the high beams.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 7:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the good replies! I like both your switch mounting locations. Master Cylinder location seem very logical.

I'd really like to route under the tank if possible. Fish tape idea sounds wise & simple too.
I pulled the tank when I installed mine so that I could run the wires neatly and I also wanted to tie into the turn signal cancel switch near the electronics box (which is under the tank - go figure) rather than splicing into the wire on the handlebar where it is more exposed to the weather.

I figured I had to get familiar with the tupperware sooner or later and I used the PIAA installation as an excuse. I tied into the high beam near the headlight as I couldn't find a high beam wire anywhere near the electronics box.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

More great replies and pictures - Thanks!

Where can you find out if using these are illegal?

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #9 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 9:48 pm

+1 on bowdons pics! That is exactly where my switch is mounted.

2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
post #10 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:04 pm

If you want a very clean looking install. Acquire a set of the dual phoenix switches. They were available for the old Phoenix criuser. It allows for the addtion of two switched light switches and they snuggle up nicely to the right hand switch set. I have my PIAA 910's and my 1100's wired this way! The swithces are lighted, so they are easy to find in the dark and they are large enough to be manipulated with gloved thumbs.
post #11 of 24 Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:08 pm

My Piaa's are wired to my fuse block and are controlled by an autoswitch. Just hold down the turn/cancell switch untill the led blinks and release they are on do the same and they are off, love it.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #12 of 24 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 6:56 am

You can use what is called a "smart switch". It allows you to connect your road lights and headlights together and run them in any combination................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #13 of 24 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 9:10 am Thread Starter

The harness in this kit runs to the battery terminals. Is this a new feature?

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #14 of 24 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 2:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
More great replies and pictures - Thanks!

Where can you find out if using these are illegal?
Your local DMV office or state police can tell you. I don't think driving lights are illegal in ANY state, but some states don't allow them to be on unless the high beams are on. I read somewhere that this was also a federal law, but I have not been able to verify that one way or the other.

Even if not illegal, it certainly is not wise to have driving lights blinding an oncoming driver so having the controlled by the high beam circuit is simply the smart way to do it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 24 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 2:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The harness in this kit runs to the battery terminals. Is this a new feature?
I don't know if its is new as I've not seen an old kit, but the kit I bought last June was this way also. I just cut off the ring terminals and wired them into the terminals on my Fuzeblock unit. Works very well.

I just now have to find a good use for the Autoswitch I installed. Maybe I will add some other device that needs to be switched. Any suggestions?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 24 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 4:02 pm

I am not like others here... There are times when I need full light output and times I don't. I am very selective in that thought process. So instead of the fancy two clicks on this control and the wiz bang lights go on, I built a switch box so that I can independently turn on and off the lights needed to make things work. And since they are paddle toggles, no matter what gloves I wear I can turn the lites on or off.

There is (and was) a method to my madness, and I include a picture of the control box mounted on the left panel just under the left handle bars. The orange LED's tell me what's running and if I have a problem with a light set.

The madness? I have found that when I ride in a group, having the front lit up and blazing can and does bother those who I ride with. I can turn off the caliper lights and present a less lit front. In the case where I am running caboose in the group or I am riding alone, I switch them on so that others in the group or Mrs. Mommy Van can see where I am on the road. Trust me... toggling those calipers on and off gets a lot of attention.

The whole "magilla" is relay driven. With the bike off, throwing a switch one way or another does nothing. If I am working on the bike, having the ability to turn everything off so as not to drain the battery is a real plus. It has one other side benefit. Long life for the lights being lit. The on and off with the starter/off/on switch can beat a lite to death. My calipers are two years old and I have yet had to replace a bulb. The PIAA's are four years old and I've only had to replace one bulb.

The two center switches are Ground Effects (LED) lighting (every step into a hole when your trying to park you scooter in the dark? Do it once... you'll understand why these are there).

It took some time, but it does what I want it to do AND I have room for two more switches if I need to expand somewhere...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112A.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	21420  

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #17 of 24 Old Jan 11th, 2009, 4:07 pm
Bouncer

Many of the guys use the switch controls from the R1200C Phoenix.

If you search on "Phoenix Switch", you should find more info on the install.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #18 of 24 Old Jan 15th, 2009, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the posts! I have Monday & Tuesday off, so I should have time to patiently do this PIAA install :-)

One more question; is it possible to loosen the tank mounts without disconnecting fuel lines & etc., to run the wiring?

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #19 of 24 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 11:38 am Thread Starter

PIAA 1100X - Mounting on/off switch

Ok, I'm looking at the wiring diagram and am a bit confused... Their instructions leave a bit to be desired.

On the PIAA harness, theres a thin gauge white wire that I believe is noted as a "switch power wire." The instructions say "Find a power source to connect the switch power wire to. For legal operation of driving lights, the power source must be one that is only powered when the high beam of the headlamps is on. To make this connection, use the supplied connector or any connector that is suitable for this application."

Where might at power source be?

Is it essential I make this connection?

And will I only be able to use these with high beams? If so, that kinda deffeats the purpose -- I need low beam augmentation big time.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #20 of 24 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Quote:
Ok, I'm looking at the wiring diagram and am a bit confused... Their instructions leave a bit to be desired.

On the PIAA harness, theres a thin gauge white wire that I believe is noted as a "switch power wire." The instructions say "Find a power source to connect the switch power wire to. For legal operation of driving lights, the power source must be one that is only powered when the high beam of the headlamps is on. To make this connection, use the supplied connector or any connector that is suitable for this application."

Where might at power source be?
The PIAA disclaimer is there to protect them from any liability. You should be able to tap on the positive wire for the low beam under the nose cone. The negative wire is brown, so don't use that one. I don't happen to have a diagram with me right now, but I am sure someone will chime in. Since the low beam is ON as soon as you turn the key you will use your switch to turn your lights ON/OFF as needed, such as having them OFF before turning the key to save the lights from the double ON state when pressing the starter button (this will prolong the life of the expensive bulbs).

Quote:
Is it essential I make this connection?
Yes, as this will be triggering the relay that feeds power to the lights.

Quote:
And will I only be able to use these with high beams? If so, that kinda defeats the purpose -- I need low beam augmentation big time.
A vast majority of us use the PIAAs and other auxiliary lights slaved to the low beam. Just be sure to aim them low enough so other drivers won't flash you.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #21 of 24 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Zippy,

Man, this is really helpful!

If I tap into the low beam (for the white PIAA wire), I imagine I can do so pretty much near the socket for the low beam lamp, yes?

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #22 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 3:12 pm

My LT had the PIAA lights on it when I bought it. The switch is mounted this same way. It's a little inconvienient to switch them on/off when traffic dictates, but there probably isn't a place to mount the switch that would not require moving your hand from the grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdon
Silverhair;

Here are two shots of where I mounted my switch for the 1100 Piaa lights. Easy access with the left hand when riding.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bowdon.

2002 K1200LTC
post #23 of 24 Old Jan 27th, 2009, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendie
a place to mount the switch that would not require moving your hand from the grip.
Autoswitch. There is a model that connects to same wire as turn signal cancel. Double-tap the cancel, and it toggles the Autoswitch on. Double-tap again, it toggles the Autoswitch off.

I think one or more of this site's Supporting Vendors carry it.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #24 of 24 Old Jan 29th, 2009, 4:34 pm

Now that's what I call slick. Probably the best idea yet.

2002 K1200LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in