Motolights as Fog lights? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Dec 10th, 2008, 12:23 am Thread Starter

Question Motolights as Fog lights?

Greetings All.

Been a while since my last post. Been busy, etc. Been thinking of adding some fog lights to my RT. Will motolights fit the bill? 35w or 50w?? I like the concept of the extra visibility provided by motolights. This morning was a REAL good reason why some kind of fog light would be helpful here in the Central Valley of CA. Started off to work with exceptional visibility. Five miles down the road, the ceiling collapsed. Too far to go home and get the truck, blah, blah, blah. No huge hurry or anything, just looking for some more of the sage advise available from this forum. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Dec 10th, 2008, 9:58 am

Re: Motolights as Fog lights?

Every bit of light will help a little in the fog if the lamps are mounted low, however only a lens designed to work in the fog will be really efficient. Also amber is better than white in fog conditions.
My other concern in the fog is being rear-ended, and I feel safer with the Brake! LED lights

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #3 of 13 Old Dec 10th, 2008, 7:45 pm

I made one very early AM ride in fog this year, and I expect it to be my last. I have the white Motolights as well as the HID. I could not see ten feet. I was headed out on the longest ride I've attempted in some 20 years, meeting up someone waiting 40 minutes from me at a lower altitude, in an area that had no fog.

I managed to make it to a main road and followed someone's tail lights for a few miles. It was extremely scary. I would sooner park and get a ride than take a risk like that again. I saw no benefit whatsoever, and doubt any color lights would have made any difference under those circumstances.

After seven plus hours on the road, it took about a month for me to recover!

post #4 of 13 Old Dec 11th, 2008, 8:23 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Bruce,

When I lived in Hanford I parked the bike and drove an old Mercury Meteor in that damn tule fog. I don't think any light will help in that stuff. I saw there was a big pile up near Visalia on 99 yesterday - ouch.

I have been in clouds on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the motolights helped but I was in the foot pegs weaving back and forth "here's the centerline... here's the grass... here's the centerline..." Not fun. I certainly recommend them for increased visibility. And adding one of the european bright rear red lights as well.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 13 Old Dec 12th, 2008, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all for your posts. Fog riding isn't something I take lightly. Out here, there are just times one ends up in the fog wheter you want to be there or not! Might as well have every advantage. Thanks again all.

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #6 of 13 Old Dec 20th, 2008, 4:06 pm

I had brake caliper mount Motolites on my GS, and when I put them on my 07 LT I decided to try to convert to a bright amber bulb with a good spread for rain/fog/snow conditions.

I ordered these bulbs from this source:

http://www.mr16usa.com/SILVER-EXT-Y-...ategory_id=451

For a price of less than $3 each, I didn't expect much. However, I was amazed at how bright and effective they are in bad weather conditions. I've put about 8,000 miles on them since installation with no problems.
post #7 of 13 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 7:25 am

Motolights use a very inexpensive bulb with integral reflector that was designed for retail display cases. The beam pattern is a rough circle, with a hot spot in the center. This is definitely not a good choice for a fog light.

Fog lights are designed with a sharp cutoff pattern, so you don't illuminate anything above your eye level. Hella, PIAA, and others all make lights specifically designed for fog, and you will notice a huge difference in your viewing distance with these lights compared to Motolights.

post #8 of 13 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 9:27 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskene
Motolights use a very inexpensive bulb with integral reflector that was designed for retail display cases. The beam pattern is a rough circle, with a hot spot in the center. This is definitely not a good choice for a fog light.

Fog lights are designed with a sharp cutoff pattern, so you don't illuminate anything above your eye level. Hella, PIAA, and others all make lights specifically designed for fog, and you will notice a huge difference in your viewing distance with these lights compared to Motolights.
They use a 8,10,11, or 12 degree spot beam on the ones I have. You have to purchase the right bulb for the job. The M16 are made as open of full spot, but you must search for a M16 with a degree of beam you would like. In my case I use these, Osram Sylvania #54208 SYL 50W Halo Spot Bulb.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 4:10 pm

There's a good representation of different automotive beam patterns here:

http://www.thepartssource.com/piaa_l..._applicati.htm

You want to use a flat cutoff, and avoid the circular pattern for fog. This requires either a special reflector or a molded, refractive lens.

The MR16 bulb is certainly compact and convenient, but it's a pity it's not made for different applications.

post #10 of 13 Old Dec 27th, 2008, 6:21 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskene
There's a good representation of different automotive beam patterns here:

http://www.thepartssource.com/piaa_l..._applicati.htm

You want to use a flat cutoff, and avoid the circular pattern for fog. This requires either a special reflector or a molded, refractive lens.

The MR16 bulb is certainly compact and convenient, but it's a pity it's not made for different applications.
Thank you for the link.
I am a fan of the MotoLight/MR16 bulbs. I use them here in Pennsatuky for the side lighting they provide at night, and safety in the day time.

I have to say we were at .2 of visibility in our area ALL day. It was very tuff driving today. Would not even take the bike out in it.

So will yellow light work because a spectrum (not Phil) type thing or again is it beam refraction?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 31st, 2008, 12:00 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Since my quest for MR16 bulbs has been a bit frustrating (another thread), were these bulbs covered? By that I mean did the have a cover glass over the entire bulb/reflector?

If so, could you tell me if there was any install issues in the Motos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylorr
I had brake caliper mount Motolites on my GS, and when I put them on my 07 LT I decided to try to convert to a bright amber bulb with a good spread for rain/fog/snow conditions.

I ordered these bulbs from this source:

http://www.mr16usa.com/SILVER-EXT-Y-...ategory_id=451

For a price of less than $3 each, I didn't expect much. However, I was amazed at how bright and effective they are in bad weather conditions. I've put about 8,000 miles on them since installation with no problems.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 13 Old Dec 31st, 2008, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Since my quest for MR16 bulbs has been a bit frustrating (another thread), were these bulbs covered? By that I mean did the have a cover glass over the entire bulb/reflector?

If so, could you tell me if there was any install issues in the Motos?
The bulbs sold by Motolights, which have a lifetime warranty, have a glass cover over the bulb.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 13 Old Dec 31st, 2008, 3:28 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
The bulbs sold by Motolights, which have a lifetime warranty, have a glass cover over the bulb.
HMMMM

I have the original new 35 watt, and the upgraded 55 watt that were installed and shipped by Motolight, and they are both open face.

I know why not just go through MotoLight? I am asking myself this question also at this point.

But hey, only a couple of bucks, and what the hell get another set so I am not a 35/50 cyclops as I am now.

I ordered a Osram Sylvania #54208 @4 I got Osram Sylvania #58325 @4.

The difference is the original is open face and 12 Degree Spread.

The ones I received are close face and 10 Degree Spread.

Here is the cross:
Cross Reference: GE (14787), Osram Sylvania (54208), Ushio (1000416), Philips (39262-1)

The company (Michell) shipped me six of the Ushio which are open face, exact cross, and stamped made in Germany as the Osram Sylvania are. Told me to keep the 4 they shipped N/C.

They also said the open face are going out, not being manufactured any longer and their book showed the sent bulb as a cross. They were great to talk to and do business with. They are:

http://www.bulbamerica.com/

My big concern is heat? With the closed front of the bulb, the o-ring, cover light glass of the motolight, I just thought a closed front would be too much heat.

Well if the closed are OK, I have two sets anyone driving by can have.

My MotoLights are 5 years old or better so never a bulb out until now, always in line, never a switch, bike on they are too. Been burning 40,000 miles on the FLTRI and the LT.

Says something about them don't you think?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in