Subs for the $40 Piaa - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 7:16 am Thread Starter

Subs for the $40 Piaa

I have the Piaa 1100x lighting system and have been very happy with the unit. The only concern is the $40 per light replacement cost. I have been told that you can expect to get 8 months to a year out of the bulbs if you use them as daytime running lights. The original bulbs lasted almost 3 years but the latest replacements have gone out at a year.

The question is has anyone found a lower cost replacement bulb?

Fred Turner - The Red Mavin
2000 Canyon Red
"THE RIDE IS THE DESTINATION"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 1:41 pm

Thumbs up Sylvania Silverstar bulbs

FWIW, I have always been happy with the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. They are about $20 each and I've had them in my cars/van/bikes(s) with excellent results. I used to run a Signal Dynamics Diamond Star Headlight modulator on the V-star and Roadstar and you could see them from a mile!! In the 8 months on the V-star and 2 years that I had the Roadstar, I did not burn out a bulb. Just moved the bulb from one bike to the next.

Just replaced the H1/H3/H7 bulbs in the Mercedes and the LT last night. What a difference from the stock bulbs.

EDIT: Sorry for the misleading post. I was thinking of the headlights. Then re-read your post and realized you were talking about the aux lighting.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

Last edited by unleashd; Jan 31st, 2006 at 2:09 pm.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 1:52 pm

I believe the 1100's use a Dichroic bulb, not a H-3 or H-7 type. The actual bulb is attached to the reflector and it's all replaced in one piece. If I'm not mistaken they can be picked up at your local Lowe's or Home Depot in the 12v light section. There are many wattage selections and different beam spreads too. Others that know more might add some support here too. d.

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:41 am

M16's

The halogen M16's you ref as being avail at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. are not really intended for the type of aux lighting we use on our bikes. they will not provide the illumination levels you are familiar with, ref the intensity of the PIAA's.

they will do an adequate job for ' daytime/nightime conspicuity use only '. Also, some do not come with plastic covers over the bulb, other's do, so you need to pay attention to what is in the package..

They will fit in the 1100PX housing and connect to the PIAA harness connector inside...

nuff said, bye !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in