CQ light install wiring/Relay - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:42 am Thread Starter

Question CQ light install wiring/Relay

Just installed my HID yesterday by the instructions from CQ and others here. My question before buttoning up everything is this: Is it OK to use the existing wiring harness by just plugging everything into what is there or should you upgrade the wiring harness by running heavier gauge wire directly to the battery.
The other question I have, should a relay be installed or not? What will this do for the lighting system?
I have also been reading some of the threads that talk about the damaging effects and warnings by Mfg. that you should not turn the bulb on, off, and on quickly. Couldn't find much about wiring the light differently to keep this from happening but the way the instructions read from CQ is it looks like the only warning was not to turn the lights on and off repeatedly. It would shorten the life of the bulb if you did. Of course the instructions are at home and I am work so don't quote me on those exact words.
Please help, would like to finish the project after getting out of court tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshpop
Just installed my HID yesterday by the instructions from CQ and others here. My question before buttoning up everything is this: Is it OK to use the existing wiring harness by just plugging everything into what is there or should you upgrade the wiring harness by running heavier gauge wire directly to the battery.
The other question I have, should a relay be installed or not? What will this do for the lighting system?
I have also been reading some of the threads that talk about the damaging effects and warnings by Mfg. that you should not turn the bulb on, off, and on quickly. Couldn't find much about wiring the light differently to keep this from happening but the way the instructions read from CQ is it looks like the only warning was not to turn the lights on and off repeatedly. It would shorten the life of the bulb if you did. Of course the instructions are at home and I am work so don't quote me on those exact words.
Please help, would like to finish the project after getting out of court tomorrow.
I haven't installed my HID kit yet, but soon...very soon. I'm guessing that the amperage needed to feed the HID's ballast is less than the requirement for your old halogen bulb. Therefore, no new wiring should be needed. Nor the use of a relay.

As for your on/off concern...Did you replace just the low beam, or both? If you only replaced the low beam, it's on all the time anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in