New Farkle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

New Farkle

I hope this is an appropriate post (I guess I'll hear if it's not).

I'm developing an LED tail and brake light kit that mounts above the license plate (see photo). I'm curious if anyone would be interested. It's a pretty easy install--cutting the hole in the license plate holder is the hardest part, but the plastic cuts easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Taillight.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	19582  

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 6:54 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: New Farkle

Wait - didn't I see one of those at CCR???

Go for it Larry I think there is a good market for them here. You can never have too many lights in the back.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Yes, John, there was one at the CCR--he gave me the idea and his blessing to productize it. He paid $90 just for the light. I think I can make a complete kit for about $50. And this sucker is BRIGHT when you hit the brakes!!!!!

Dave--I don't have a problem making them for other bikes--the only problem is, I don't have any other bikes to play with. Come on up and we'll pimp out your GS .

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

post #4 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 8:57 pm

That's what I'm talkin' about ... Keep me posted on this Larry..

Sorry to miss you guys at CCR this year...

Maybe next year...Lindy's talking about it...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

I'll start a list of interested parties and let you know when you can buy it from Raffy. It shouldn't be too long--maybe a couple of weeks. John (JPSpen), you're number one on the list. I'll add something to this thread when it's ready, too.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

post #6 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 7:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'd be interested, but I'd also like to see a photo of it installed to see the contrast with the existing tail light.

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #7 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Re: New Farkle-Photos

As requested, here are some photos of the LED taillight lit as a taillight and a brake light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z-Taillight On.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	19590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z-Brake Light On-1.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	19591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z-Brake Light On-2.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	19592  

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

post #8 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 11:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Looks great. Put me down for one.

Dan
post #9 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 11:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Looks good Larry. Let us know when you are ready to merchandise.
Love them farkles!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #10 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 3:27 pm

I like it also. Add me to the list.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Re: New Farkle-it's ready

Thanks for all your interest. Complete information is now available from my Web site (http://riderwest.com/K1200LTLicenseP...illightKit.htm), including the installation instructions--in case you want to check them out.

The trickiest part of the install is cutting out the hole, but I found that a jig saw makes quick work of it--the plastic is pretty soft. Even cutting it by hand shouldn't be a problem.

I've sent the info to Raffy so he can post it on his Web site for sale. I should have kits ready to send out within 10 days, so if you order now, you'll have to wait a little while before it shows up at your door.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

post #12 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Thumbs up Re: New Farkle

I would love to get one for my RT.The pictures look great..
post #13 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

I'm not familiar with the back of the other bikes--however, if you have room, there's no reason why you can't cut it in like on the LT. The main part of the template will work--the lines on it for aligning the template won't work. Download the instructions and template from the Web site and see how the template fits. Wiring it is straight forward, but be sure to use the color code in the instructions (white is ground).

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

post #14 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 11:32 pm

Hey Larry,

Just remember that most of the newer model Beemers operate off a CANbus electrical system. You should have someone local try this out on a CANbus-equipped bike before you start offering it to the newer GT, GS, S, R, and RT owners. Trying to help...
post #15 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Joe--that's a good idea. I would hope that because the LEDs use so little current, that it wouldn't effect the CANBus system, but you never know. I guess it's kind of fussy.

So, if someone wants to try it on their newer bike, and it doesn't work, they can return it (they could test it electrically without cutting anything). Better yet, if there is someone in my area (Salt Lake City) with a newer bike, they could stop by so we can do some testing. Or if you're not in my area and want to take a ride...

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

post #16 of 20 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 12:57 pm

The CAN system can handle the LED module shown. (just need to use spade doublers and crimp-on terminals to avoid tapping or cutting wires). HOWEVER, if your 12GS or 12RT is configured with the tail lamp that operates the brake filament as a dual mode, brake & supplemental tail lamp, you will be out of luck using this module. You will have to build an interface that addresses the PWM (pulse Width Modulation) that BMW added to heighten the rear visibility.
I happened to stumble on to a nice add on module that happens to work well with the dual filament issue.
I found that a Whelen LIN-3 will mount on the rear tail flap of my KRS and R12GS by using the space configured for the standard reflector.
The KRS is an on and off mode supplemental tail lamp and the flash pattern can be adjusted to eight or ten different patterns.
The R12GS however can run as a tail/brake combination just by connecting it to the brake circuit. How? I don't know but it is a solid addition to my rear visibility and for about $50 bucks I can feel better about people seeing me from behind.
See my post at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337477
post #17 of 20 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Several of you asked to be notified when the taillight kit is ready. Well, I have 10 kits available and ready to ship. You can find it on Raffy's site (http://motogear4you.com/catalog/prod...70a83efa7c1ec1). If you have any questions, let me know.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

post #18 of 20 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 1:15 pm

Ya know, I always thought the LT needed more lighting on the outside edges. Thinking about thin LED strips mounted on the back edge of tha sidebags. Might look too much like a big frown though.
post #19 of 20 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBarbecue
Ya know, I always thought the LT needed more lighting on the outside edges. Thinking about thin LED strips mounted on the back edge of tha sidebags. Might look too much like a big frown though.
I'm working on another project--a red LED strip all the way around the trunk (running light), and two amber LED strips--one on each side for turn signals. Thee would stick on just under where the top meets the bottom half of the trunk.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

post #20 of 20 Old Oct 13th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryschumer
I hope this is an appropriate post (I guess I'll hear if it's not).

I'm developing an LED tail and brake light kit that mounts above the license plate (see photo). I'm curious if anyone would be interested. It's a pretty easy install--cutting the hole in the license plate holder is the hardest part, but the plastic cuts easily.

I've had mine installed for ALMOST 3 years now.....bought it at NAPA for big $$$ but an ex-buddy found one (4 leds smaller) at a truck stop for 1/3 the price of mine. Really adds to getting noticed..........

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in