PIAA Problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

PIAA Problems

I have a set of 1100X Platinum series PIAA lights mounted on the forks of my '05 LT with the switch mounted on the left side of the stingray. They've been working no problem until suddenly, no power. I'm not getting either a red or green indication in the switch. The lights were already installed on the bike, so I'm not sure where the fuse is or how it's wired. I did check a few of the stand alone fuses under the seat, and they seemed all right. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug Jacobs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 10:44 pm

Re: PIAA Problems

Howdy, Doug!

Lessee.. the "PIAA" kit comes with a relay and ther wiring. The switch, about the size and basic oval shape of a pecan, has a red and green lamp which lights when there is "power" present.

Do you see either light?

Second...if you have those indicator lights, I would bet the problem is with the fuse which is located somewhere under the Tupperware.. I don't have pictures of my install, and yours sounds like it is different because my lights are under the nosecone, not on the forks.... On my bike there was a regular "glass", round style fuse inside a white plastic protector cover... Mine got a bit corroded so I replaced it with a "circuit breaker".

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:04 am

The wiring that came with mine: a black 'relay' unit, with one side connected to the lights (2 sets of 2 wires) and the other side connected to the switch and 2 wires to the battery, one with an in-line blade fuse. The wires to the battery each had a crimp-on ring connector, to go under the battery terminal screw. If the wire broke at the crimp, or the fuse is blown, there will be no red/green light at the switch. Another possibility is one of the wires going to the switch may have broken. That would also kill the red/green light, as well as not switch the lights on.

As with any electrical problem, its usually easiest to check what is out in the open....like the wires going to the battery, the fuse (in-line with one of those wires) or the wires leaving the relay heading for the switch. If checking those doesn't find the problem, you'll need to check the entire path the wire takes.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 7:53 am

I concur with Sparky... if you want to know your machine, trace back from the device (in this case, lights)...

Also, make sure the lamps are really okay...before you get too rambunctious.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 8:02 am

Wink Re: PIAA Problems

Check the ground wire from the switch. Mine worked loose, most likely from the very little vibration these bikes have. or the screw was not tightened enough, much more likely. It could be the bulbs, I had both go out the same day once

hth

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks very much, guys. I'll start with what's most obvious and if I can't find anything there, I'll dig deeper. I appreciate the input and when I find the problem will let you know.

Doug
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 9th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Hi blkhwk34.
I'm new to the forum a9and to the bike) and am interested as to how you made out with your problem. I bought mine also with the PIAA 1100x kit installed but not working. I put power directly to the bulbs and they are OK. The red wire on the handlebar switch powers up full when the ignition switch is on and the white and black switch wires show current also but reduced. However the indicator light on the switch itself does not light up nor does the switch power up the driving lights.
What do you think, handlebar switch or relay? I'm leaning toward the switch but I'm no electrician.
Thanks
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 10th, 2012, 1:25 am

The lights are directly wired to the battery with a fuse in the plus side, near the battery. Out of sight is the normally open relay in the direct circuit to the lights.

The plus line to the switch also is fused. The black wire at the switch is for the LED. With voltage going to the switch the LED should be green. When you push the switch the LED should go red and the circuit to the relay will be completed, closing the relay.

Unfortunately, I do not remember where the voltage to close the relay comes from. I'm guessing it is from the voltage to the LED? I seem to remember that the ground for the relay is tied into the PIAA's wire running directly to the battery's negative terminal?

I'm also guessing that the slight drop in voltage between just powering the LED and power to the relay and LED causes the LED to change color to red?

If the LED burns out, the switch and relay still work.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in