Hasn't anyone thought of this yet???? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Talking Micro DE Halogen to Xenon Conversion

Ok I was looking on ebay for a set of Hella Micro DE Xenon lights...

But what I found was a set of Hella Micro DE Halogen lights for $130.00

Uses H-3 lamps.......

CQ H-3 lamp kit 213.00 inclu shipping

Total cost for retrofitted Xenon kit... 343.00

Cost of Hella kit 695.00 SAVINGS 352.00

or Half Price...

Am I Insane again ????

Spence

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jpspen; Dec 29th, 2005 at 4:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 6:09 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Nah, I had the same thought. Haven't tried it though. Do let us know how it works.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 6:13 pm

Yes, it has been thought of before, at least by me when I was looking for HID driving lights.

The problem is that the Micro DE halogens are FOG lights, and throw a wide, low pattern. The Micro DE HID lights have different lens and or reflector, and throw a more narrow, down the road pattern.

Would be great if the lens/reflector were available as parts, but I could not find anything on that when I looked about three years ago.

I had different HID driving lights installed under the mirrors, but did not like their light pattern that well, and had actually purchased Micro DE HIDs, but had not installed them when I totalled the bike. Ended up selling them to a nother member here, who got good use out of them. 48 states, Mexico, and Alaska in one giant ride. Right Edgar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
Ok I was looking on ebay for a set of Hella Micro DE Xenon lights...

But what I found was a set of Hella Micro DE Halogen lights for $130.00

Uses H-3 lamps.......

CQ H-3 lamp kit 213.00 inclu shipping

Total cost for retrofitted Xenon kit... 343.00

Cost of Hella kit 695.00 SAVINGS 352.00

or Half Price...

Am I Insane again ????

Spence

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 9:27 am Thread Starter

Talking I had the same thoughts.

But then, I thought. the FOG pattern is more like a projector.. I think with LESS spread than the driving lights.. More of a spot.... This might actually be better when aimed about 200' down the road.... Might not blind others as bad...I went ahead and ordered them yesterday and I'm gonna try it...
I'll call Hella if it doesn't work out and order the lens and/or reflector directly....Just tell them mine got broken...<g>

Should be able to do that......

Thanks for your input David.. I figured if anyone had thought of it you had..

John

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 8 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:11 am

I was just online looking at lights as well, sounds like a nice find. I just took delivery of a new 06 K1200LT 2 days ago..
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
But then, I thought. the FOG pattern is more like a projector.. I think with LESS spread than the driving lights.. More of a spot.... This might actually be better when aimed about 200' down the road.... Might not blind others as bad...I went ahead and ordered them yesterday and I'm gonna try it...
I'll call Hella if it doesn't work out and order the lens and/or reflector directly....Just tell them mine got broken...<g>

Should be able to do that......

Thanks for your input David.. I figured if anyone had thought of it you had..

John
I forgot to say, I already had the Micro DE fogs under the chin on my LT. The fog pattern is VERY wide, and really only lit an area about 20-30 feet in front of the bike, but way out to the sides. I had them on all the time as a conspicuity factor, did not do much for actual riding light on the highway though, but great around urban areas.

Hope it works out for you. I probably would have tried it myself, but could find no easy source for the reflector/lens. If Hella sells them to you and it works, great. I noticed in the instructions that came with them that there was no parts list.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:35 am Thread Starter

Wink So far a good vendor....

The guy I ordered them from has been very helpfull and seems to think that I can call Hella and get any parts.. He thinks the reflector is pretty much the same just the control ring and lens that is different..

He gave me Hella's direct 800 number for their parts department and I'll probably call them and try to get parts once I get these in da house.

I'll mount them up on the bench and do some pattern tests....

Maybe I'll get my doctor buddy to do Lasix on the Lenses <g>

More info in a few days..

John

post #8 of 8 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:50 am

Get the Hella FF200 HID kit from Raffy!

I purchased the Hella FF200 HID's and I can tell you it is very good.

I had the low beam HID mounted on my bike and thought I was all set to jet...then I was crossing Montana in the middle of the night when a thunder and lightning storm of biblical proportions came down. If it wasn't for a semi truck driver that whizzed past me while I was in the slow lane, standing on my foot pegs, looking over my windshield trying to FIND THE ROAD (Montana does not believe in reflective markers but more like gray lines) once he passed me he realized why I was standing. He slowed down and let me follow him till the next faster car came by.

I now have HID high and low as well as Hella FF200 HID's. I have a very good view of the road now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in