How to Replace a HID Bulb? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Question How to Replace a HID Bulb?

My 2005 K1200LT's low-beam is apparently burned-out. It's a CQ Lights unit (HID on the low beam, stock high beam). The bulb comes on for just a second when the ignition is turned on, and then it goes out. The bulb looks hazy. The fuse is OK, and all connections are solid. It is 2 years old (last week!).

I removed all the tie wraps so I could get up in there to pull the plug, but I don't see how that is done. Using a pair of needle nose pliers I tried pulling on what I thought were little tabs on the back of the grommet (this is the grommet at the back of the low beam reflector). It turns out these are just rubber tubes for additional wires, and the one I pulled on simply broke off. My grommet has 2 wires going into it, and 2 unused little rubber tubes.

How do you get the old bulb out?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 10:25 pm

Re: How to Replace a HID Bulb?

Mr. Howard,
First, I hope you have the big cover off... if so,

There is a rubber cover... then I think the rubber cover slides back.. you then unclip the retainer by pushing down and toward the center (i think).. if not, to the outside... once BOTH sides are released, the clip lower legs swing rearward then up...

then remove the bulb...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 35 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Mr. Howard,
First, I hope you have the big cover off... if so,

There is a rubber cover... then I think the rubber cover slides back.. you then unclip the retainer by pushing down and toward the center (i think).. if not, to the outside... once BOTH sides are released, the clip lower legs swing rearward then up...

then remove the bulb...
"big cover"? I don't know what that is; can you elaborate? Nothing has been removed. I'm looking at 2 wires going into a grommet into what I thought was the back of the reflector. It's plastic I think, not rubber.

?

I'll take a look at this again tomorrow after work. I'm out of time, for now. I'll order a new bulb tonight so I can get back in the game ASAP.

Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

post #4 of 35 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 10:49 pm

Howerd.. I think there is a "dust cover" retained by a big metal clip. All you need to is feel around and you'll find where the metal clip snaps into place on each side of the cover. It just pulls out a little bit over the notches then down. As the clip swings away the rear cover will easily pull away.. the Grommet stabilixes the wires as they pass from through the cover... just slide the cover rearward as you free up the wires...then you can follow the process I first mentioned above.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 35 Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Excellent - thanks Channing. I'll get back to that tomorrow night. This may actually be something I can handle without having to take it to the shop.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #6 of 35 Old Jun 20th, 2008, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Howerd.. I think there is a "dust cover" retained by a big metal clip. All you need to is feel around and you'll find where the metal clip snaps into place on each side of the cover. It just pulls out a little bit over the notches then down. As the clip swings away the rear cover will easily pull away.. the Grommet stabilixes the wires as they pass from through the cover... just slide the cover rearward as you free up the wires...then you can follow the process I first mentioned above.
Once I put a working bulb in my shop light I could see what I was doing. Made all the difference in the world.

The cover is off and the bulb has been pulled. Apparently the bulb has to be replaced by the same product, because 2 wires are permanently attached to the base of the bulb. I bought a halogen H7 bulb, thinking I could use it until the CQ Lights replacement H7 arrived. That's not possible, unless I'm missing something.

Thanks for the help.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 35 Old Jun 20th, 2008, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Apparently the bulb has to be replaced by the same product, because 2 wires are permanently attached to the base of the bulb. I bought a halogen H7 bulb, thinking I could use it until the CQ Lights replacement H7 arrived. That's not possible, unless I'm missing something.
See where the two wires from the bulb plug in? That is your stock bulb receptacle. Simply unplug those two wires and put in a stock bulb.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 35 Old Jun 20th, 2008, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
See where the two wires from the bulb plug in? That is your stock bulb receptacle. Simply unplug those two wires and put in a stock bulb.
Sweet. I may run down to the barn (bathrobe and all) and do this. If it works, it means I can ride until the replacement HID bulb arrives. No worries: no photos of me in a bathrobe will be posted!

Follow-up question: The igniter and ballast thingies aren't part of the picture in the scenario you describe, and it's OK to run a halogen bulb like this? (I mean, you wouldn't have suggested it if it wasn't OK, but...)

Thank you!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 35 Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:24 pm

"pictures NOT required...." thanks for looking out for us!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 35 Old Jun 21st, 2008, 11:40 am

Wink Re: How to Replace a HID Bulb?

Quote:
Follow-up question: The igniter and ballast thingies aren't part of the picture in the scenario you describe, and it's OK to run a halogen bulb like this? (I mean, you wouldn't have suggested it if it wasn't OK, but...)

Thank you!
That is correct Howard, since you are not using an HID capsule at the moment you do not need the ballast and igniter.
Now go and have a nice ride!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 35 Old Jun 21st, 2008, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, I'm still missing something.

I took a look at things once again today, and I don't see anything that looks like it would except the stock H7 halogen bulb, which I want to use while I'm waiting on the H7 HID bulb to arrive from CQ Lights.

I followed the 2 wires from bulb, backwards. They terminate at a quick-disconnect plug, and those (or anything else I can see) do not accept the halogen bulb. Please put this in terms, or provide examples, that a kindergartner can process.

Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Jun 21st, 2008 at 11:30 pm. Reason: fixed typo
post #12 of 35 Old Jun 21st, 2008, 11:03 pm

Oops. Sorry. Visualized wrong. You're looking for the stock OEM plug, which wires should be yellow and brown. The plug is used to fire your relay for the HID and where you plug the OEM bulb into.

I don't have an LT in the gearage to tell you exactly what it looks like, but I think it's black and one wire should be yellow, the other definitely brown.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 35 Old Jun 21st, 2008, 11:32 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

I missed a ride to beautiful Marietta, Ohio today because I have no headlight. New clutch? Check. New tires? Check. Great day to ride? Check. Headlight working? NOPE.

Is the stock OEM plug still on the bike (I know, duh, but I gotta ask). Does the CQ Lights stuff sit between the stock OEM plug and the HID bulb?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Jun 21st, 2008 at 11:37 pm.
post #14 of 35 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 5:41 am

Howard, lets see if I can help.
  1. The OEM plug should still be on bike
  2. remove large dustcover
  3. you should see two heavy leads runnig to the bulb itself
  4. you should also see two smaller leads, red and black I believe
  5. the red and black leads should be connected to the OEM plug (gray)
  6. remove the red and black leads from the plug
  7. release spring clips that hold bulb in place
  8. remove bulb
  9. install new halogen bulb, be sure to align it properly and plug in connector to bulb
  10. replace small spring clips to hold bulb in place
  11. remove HID bulb and grommet
  12. unplug HID bulb from ignitor
  13. replace large dustcover
  14. your good to go
hope this helps,.here are some pic's of bulb and leads and leads to the OEM plug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0255.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	18458   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0258.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	18459  

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

Last edited by patroa1; Jun 22nd, 2008 at 6:08 am.
post #15 of 35 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 8:40 am Thread Starter

Thanks Pat. I'll check it out after church today. The pictures are helpful. I wasn't sure what I was looking for.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #16 of 35 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
Howard, lets see if I can help.
  1. The OEM plug should still be on bike
  2. remove large dustcover
  3. you should see two heavy leads runnig to the bulb itself
  4. you should also see two smaller leads, red and black I believe
  5. the red and black leads should be connected to the OEM plug (gray)
  6. remove the red and black leads from the plug
  7. release spring clips that hold bulb in place
  8. remove bulb
  9. install new halogen bulb, be sure to align it properly and plug in connector to bulb
  10. replace small spring clips to hold bulb in place
  11. remove HID bulb and grommet
  12. unplug HID bulb from ignitor
  13. replace large dustcover
  14. your good to go
hope this helps,.here are some pic's of bulb and leads and leads to the OEM plug
Most of these steps are done now. Thanks.
My OEM plug I think is blue, although the replacement halogen bulb's prongs are too large to fit into it. If there is a gray OEM plug, or another plug that accepts the stock halogen bulb, I'm not seeing it.

New questions:

1. When the new HID bulb arrives will it have leads permanently attached to it, or will it be just a bare bulb? I ask because of this one:
2. Is it OK to cut the leads from the HID bulb so I can get it out of the dustcover/grommet setup? The way it is now I can't get the HID bulb out through either end of the hole in the dust cover. That is because one end of the leads are permanently attached to my HID bulb, and the other end is permanently attached to some quick-disconnects.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #17 of 35 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 1:38 pm

Howard

You need to follow the wires further back. It should be

Bulb -----connectors------ballast/igniter------spade/plug connectors......
bikes original wiring

where the ........ represent wires. So basically the original wires are on the other side of the ballast/igniter.

Good luck

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #18 of 35 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Most of these steps are done now. Thanks.
My OEM plug I think is blue, although the replacement halogen bulb's prongs are too large to fit into it. If there is a gray OEM plug, or another plug that accepts the stock halogen bulb, I'm not seeing it.

New questions:

1. When the new HID bulb arrives will it have leads permanently attached to it, or will it be just a bare bulb? I ask because of this one:
The new HID will have its own leads permanently attached
Quote:
2. Is it OK to cut the leads from the HID bulb so I can get it out of the dustcover/grommet setup? The way it is now I can't get the HID bulb out through either end of the hole in the dust cover. That is because one end of the leads are permanently attached to my HID bulb, and the other end is permanently attached to some quick-disconnects.
I would not recommend cutting the leads from the bulb. The connectors should fit through the rubber grommet.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #19 of 35 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
The new HID will have its own leads permanently attached
I would not recommend cutting the leads from the bulb. The connectors should fit through the rubber grommet.
Graham - thanks.

Gilles - Looking at this picture, posted previously, my setup looks a lot like this. You will notice the relatively large connects on the right side of this wiring segment. Aren't these much too large to fit through the grommet? I have the grommet removed from the dust cover. And if the new bulb has its own wires, why not cut my old ones so I can free the grommet for the next bulb's installation?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #20 of 35 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:57 pm

Howard, If you can't slip the new connectors through the holes in the grommet, then consider taking a sharp razor blade and slice a line through the center of the grommet wire hole.... .... or slice from the side to the edge of the wire hole... you can slip the wire in from the side and work the grommet into the cover...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #21 of 35 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Howard, If you can't slip the new connectors through the holes in the grommet, then consider taking a sharp razor blade and slice a line through the center of the grommet wire hole.... .... or slice from the side to the edge of the wire hole... you can slip the wire in from the side and work the grommet into the cover...
OK, I'll try that -- when the new bulb arrives.

It JUST OCCURRED TO ME why cutting the old wires so they would slide out of the grommet is not going to help: It may not hurt anything, but it doesn't solve the problem of putting the new bulb's wires through the grommet. Duh. I amaze myself sometimes, but I eventually catch on. It's just another example of a lack of experience in this area.

Thanks again. New bulb should be here in a couple of days.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #22 of 35 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 5:31 am

Howard, you have to disconnect the leads on the bulb from the ignitor/ballast, then remove the grommet from the dustcover and slide the leads you just disconnected through the hole in the dustcover. The new bulb should come with a grommet. (I think). As far as the new bulb not fitting the OEM plug, it should if it is an H-7, the connector should be square I only said grey because mine is yours may be blue, as long as you have disconnected the red and black leads from it , it should just plug in.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

post #23 of 35 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 8:58 pm Thread Starter

2 new bulbs (replacement + spare) arrived today.
The modular ends on the new bulb's wires are not the same as the old bulb's, and they don't snap into the old wiring harness.
This simple little job is becoming a real pain in the shorts.

2 pics are attached. Both show the old bulb (still in the dust cover) and the new bulb. Hopefully you can see the ends are different. Ignoring the plastic ends, the wires and metal bits inside are the same. The new grommet is twice the size of the old one, so I either have to drill a larger hole in the dust cover or I need to cut a line through the new grommet to make it fit. It's almost like CQ Lights changed connectors within the last 2 years (when I had the HID light installed).

What now -- Do I contact CQ Lights? Do I put the old connectors on the new wires so they mate up with the HID wiring harness? (that will be a job for someone else)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM6927.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	18500   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM6928.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	18501  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Jun 23rd, 2008 at 9:20 pm. Reason: clarification
post #24 of 35 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:05 pm

Howard, contact CQ by e-mail or phone and tell them exactly what you had and what you just received. They will most likely send you a small harness that will connect the old ballast to the new bulb.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #25 of 35 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 5:15 am

Quote:
They will most likely send you a small harness that will connect the old ballast to the new bulb.
And the fun will begin again! Every one of those small harnesses I've seen, the black harness will connect to the red harness and vice versa!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #26 of 35 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:43 am

Talking Re: How to Replace a HID Bulb?

Quote:
And the fun will begin again! Every one of those small harnesses I've seen, the black harness will connect to the red harness and vice versa!
CQ Lights, a proud sponsor of The Color Blinds of America!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #27 of 35 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Howard, contact CQ by e-mail or phone and tell them exactly what you had and what you just received. They will most likely send you a small harness that will connect the old ballast to the new bulb.
Done. Wiring harness adapter is on the way. I'm going to try again this evening to get the original halogen bulb plugged in.

<signed> Out of Patience in Ohio...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #28 of 35 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 6:15 pm

Howard

If you are putting the H7 bulbin as a short term measure then I would suggest nont bothering with the grommet. Just tape over the hole and wires with some duct tape. Good luck.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #29 of 35 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 6:31 pm

And Howard, just in case you didn't know: the OEM bulb and wiring is self contained inside once the dust cover is on. There will be no wires thru the grommet.

Oh yeah, this year you get your ass kicked in the advanced class at CCR!!!!!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #30 of 35 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Wink Re: How to Replace a HID Bulb?

Quote:
+1

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #31 of 35 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
And Howard, just in case you didn't know: the OEM bulb and wiring is self contained inside once the dust cover is on. There will be no wires thru the grommet.

Guess who just back for a ride into town for groceries... on their LT? Yeah, me. I got the original halogen bulb installed.

After taking everything HID-related out of the nose I was ready to give up again because I couldn't find the original wires and plug. I spent more time, found them, and then spent a whole lot more time trying to get that @#$%^&~! wire clip thing situated correctly. Of course, now that it's back together sure... it makes perfect sense. I found myself wishing I had a Clymer or similar manual. That picture would have been worth the cost of the book all by itself.

Dust cover? Oh yeah, I forgot about that until reading the previous 2 posts. Right now the dust cover is not installed. Is that a problem until this weekend?

And as far as getting my ass kicked in Jerry's advanced self-defense class, why is that -- will Caity be my partner?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #32 of 35 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 9:58 pm

Quote:
And as far as getting my ass kicked in Jerry's advanced self-defense class, why is that -- will Caity be my partner?
You best hope not. Richard showed me his bruises.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #33 of 35 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:32 pm

Howard.. my humble suggestion... ahem...no hammers involved or harmed in this post.

What I would do is this.... keep the "stock" halogen plug... IF you wan to run an HID, then create a small connector for the stock plug to engage. That way if you need to run the Halogen, just unplug from the HID ballast.

Of course if it's all working now, you might want to just leave it alone, huh?

...and yes, Miss Caity might be tough enough to thump ya.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #34 of 35 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Howard.. my humble suggestion... ahem...no hammers involved or harmed in this post.

What I would do is this.... keep the "stock" halogen plug... IF you wan to run an HID, then create a small connector for the stock plug to engage. That way if you need to run the Halogen, just unplug from the HID ballast.

Of course if it's all working now, you might want to just leave it alone, huh?
The stock halogen plug is still there... isn't it? It's what the original bulb is plugged into at this time. The next time I go through this it should be much, much easier now that I'm know (kinda) what I'm looking for.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #35 of 35 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 9:29 pm

ah.. glad to hear the plug wasn't decapitated.... !!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in