Another HID/CQ install - 4 hrs later.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Another HID/CQ install - 4 hrs later....

After way too much concern about what set of lights to put on this, I attempted to order the Fashtek HID. They were supposed to e-mail me a Paypal invoice, never got it. Then, for whatever reason, my follow up e-mail and phone call were not returned.

I then saw some new posts and the link for the CQ HID. I called them, they were very pleasant to deal with. I thought it over, called the first company again, and it just seemed to flow better with CQ.

Got the light, and with a great deal of apprehension, I decided it was now or never for the install.

The instructions, IMO, suck. Thankful for the help on the forum and people making themselves available by phone to answer my questions.

However, the CQ kit is excellent! I bought an extra bulb as well, and hope I never need to install it.....GEEZ!

Nothing like doubting whether you got the little bulb clips in right, after it's all buttoned up.......

The H7 installed by the dealer, had not been exactly in right to begin with.

My biggest problem, was not being able to see what I was looking at. Fumbling around for two hours or so, I finally got the unit hooked up to make sure it lit up. Well, not on the first try (which is where some more useful instruction would have been handy).

Those handy graduated drill bit deals are $45. Made do with a 1" wood bit going in from front and back, then using a utility knife to clean it up. Took another 15 mins to get the grommet to fit. I drilled two small holes in the grommet for the two spade connectors, which then pushed right through.

Switched the two wires (originally to the bulb socket) around, and we had light.

Another 90 mins later, and it appears to be a solid install. Won't have any review on the light, until I get a chance to use this later in the week. It is just after 3PM here in Pa., so all I can say is, you don't want to be looking directly at the lit bulb for any amount of time. I could barely find my way back to the basement for my side cutters.

Anyway, here are my pics.

#2, you want to match the brown to the black wire. Also worth noting is the small parking light, is always on. I never took notice until after I installed the HID, and it was a concern until I called to ask a forum member (thanks Joe!).

Thanks to Jon for the inspiration to attempt the job in the first place, and appreciate the offer to help on the install. Just could not see having someone ride that far to help out. And, at least I know now what is in there, and how it was done.

See the photos here:
http://www.sendpix.com/albums/08060211/auv4ke3acv/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 3:44 pm

Re: Another HID/CQ install - 4 hrs later....

Wayne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go!!! You did it! See... not too bad was it. Nice job BTW.

My offer to come up was always there. And even if you didn't invite me up for the HID install , perhaps we can still meet for a ride. My wife loves to ride with me so maybe we could do some local riding with you and your passenger.

Again - good job.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW MOA #139052
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Hi Jon,

Had you been 30 minutes from me, I would have taken you up on your offer to drive up and do the install. I just had a real hard time having you drive that far, without having attempted it first. The weather was perfect, & I was having one of my better days to start with. I just about gave up after getting the rear cover off and not being able to see squat.

I went through four nitrile gloves, just to make sure I did not touch the bulb or have any sweat from the gloves touch it. Talk about never racking. One of the fingers on the glove got hung up on the wire spring that holds the bulb in, talk about a predicament!

It was not easy by any means! Just hope it holds up as good as it looks.

Looking forward to trying it, maybe tonight yet.

Answering another post on 880 tire depth, I then looked over our purchase invoices and was amazed to see we have nearly 3k miles on this already. Wow, don't see how that is even possible.

Certainly be interested in a joint ride with you down the road a bit. Had our first real "team" night ride a week ago and loved it. That was with the H7.

My best friend has an 82 GW, and has one day a week to ride (providing he can stay awake - works steady nights going on four years), and I am sure he would like to venture along.

Been one hell of an adventure and learning experience with first the RT & now the LT. WOW!

If I could just get the darn engine to stop stalling first ride of the day, I think I would be most pleased. I have no plans on taking this apart again any time soon. I don't mind so much around the house, but in unfamiliar territory and in heavy traffic, that could be a disaster.

Another 900 miles and I am due for oil, trans and FD fluid changes....already.

Thanks for the encouragement! Look forward to riding with you & the wife.
Definitely would want to find an alternative route to I-78.....OMG. What a mess that road is. As a result of riding that road a week or so ago, I was forced to order two back supports, and my buddy had to buy new shocks for his GW. I rode on the passenger seat and posted on the foot pegs, just to survive the 50 miles or so we rode just west of I-61 from Hamburg out to Midway, twice. Not looking to ride there again any time soon. cya

~;^/

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

WOW!

This is far better than I could have imagined. All the posts with pics do not do this justice. I had to take it out tonight for a test ride. Overly anxious, I attempted to see how all the lights lined up in my neighbor's garage about 7:45. It was not dark enough yet and the HID made it nearly impossible to see where the Motolights were aimed. In the day light, I could barely tell much of any difference, unless you looked into the light directly. Even my first test ride about 8PM, I still could not really tell if it was doing much.

Waited till just after nine.....took the SO for a 50 mile ride. This light is AMAZING! I had no oncoming traffic flash me, and the light bouncing off all the road signs, medium strips and rail reflectors, mail boxes etc., was almost blinding to some degree. I am extremely impressed. Combined with the Motolights and the high beam, this is all I could ask for. I am so impressed with this.......I am thrilled with it.

Still not overly certain of myself not being able to see the clips holding the bulb in place on the install, I will have to see in time if it stays in place. So far, so good.

I thought the Motolights were a good deal for the money. The HID is absolutely fantastic!

I am very pleased with the CQ HID 5,000. I would not hesitate to suggest this as a PRIORITY purchase, as soon as one could possibly get it installed.

Just hope I do not need to get inside the light compartment to change a bulb any time soon. Nothing a few electric ties and a little of my time can't cure.

~;^/
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 15th, 2008, 10:54 am

Yesterday BMW motorcycles of Las Vegas installed my HID/CQ low beam headlight. I gave them the pictures and instructions from this website. (Messenger13-Thanks) They were done in about thirty minutes. I did all my accessories on my prior bikes , but I just completed physical therapy for a shoulder injury. As stated in the the previous posts , the difference is incredible. I also have the motolights and with the HID/CQ now have excellant visibility. Upon ordering CQ had the light kit to me within two days. (Prior to ordering they were fast in replying to a email question that I had.) Very pleased with their service and BMW of Las Vegas. In closing , I totally concur with your kudos for this product and upgrade.

BMWMOA Life Member ; BMWRA ; IBA ; AMA ; FBINA157

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in