New PIAA HID - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 13th, 2008, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

New PIAA HID

Has anyone tried these out yet: Cross Country HID's Review

These look really promising. I'm thinking I just may have to try a pair.

Purchase info (price)

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Last edited by KMC1; May 13th, 2008 at 6:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 13th, 2008, 8:06 pm

Re: New PIAA HID

They look nice and I like the built-in ballast. That makes mounting easier!

The price however is...Outchy! $467.48!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old May 13th, 2008, 8:51 pm

That's funny. They look just like the Trail Tech SCMR16's I have on my RT. And have the same basic features, but soct about 50% more.

Take a look here ...

http://trailtech.net/single_hid_scmr16.html

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

post #4 of 10 Old May 13th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Wink Re: New PIAA HID

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
That's funny. They look just like the Trail Tech SCMR16's I have on my RT. And have the same basic features, but soct about 50% more.

Take a look here ...

Right you are!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old May 13th, 2008, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles

Take a look here ...

WHOA! Hold the Phone!
They really DO look exactly the same! WTH? for two lamps it's $168.00 (!!!! ) LESS than the PIAA rebadged?! THAT takes some balls....
Did your lamps come with "pre-terminated relay/switch/wiring harness" like the PIAA's do? I could see that making up about $15.00 of the $168.....

How do you like them?
Do you have any pictures of the pattern they throw?
Any dislikes about them?

AWESOME feedback!!

post #6 of 10 Old May 13th, 2008, 11:43 pm

They are sold without anything but the light and mounting post. At 30 watts each bulb only consumes 2.5 amps (@12 volts). At 13.8 volts that's about 2.2 amps. So a relay isn't really required. Although being the anal-retentive personality I am, I installed a relay. I put 3 30 amp relays on my RT (HIF headlight, HID aux lights, Horn) and used 12 gauge wire to power them.

I have a couple of pictures of the lights in action. I have the 12 degree spot lamps. They also come in a 30 degree flood version. When you see the pattern on the wall (from 25 feet away) the it is left aux, H4 hid, right aux.

Oh, I forgot to mention that angle cutout on the far right is from the headlight. On US motorcycles there is an angled projection on the right. It's on the left on UK motorcyle lights. The pattern basically looks like O=O> where the + and > are the H4 HID conversion. I don't have a picture yet of the light pattern on a dark street or parking lot. Been too busy to do just that with the various upgrades and maintenance work.

As for likes and dislikes, I haven't truely had a chance to drive with them. I had to borrow a client's warehouse to adjust them, so didn't want to use them at night until I had. I tried them in my street and can say they are much brighter and throw a longer beam than the PIAAs I replaced. You can also see they work quite well with the 4300K H4 bulb. The SCRM16 is a 5300K I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_003_Web.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	17854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_002_Web.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	17855  

Last edited by ArthurKnowles; May 13th, 2008 at 11:48 pm.
post #7 of 10 Old May 14th, 2008, 8:04 am Thread Starter

Wow, those suckers are bright!
The beam looks very concentrated, I'm thinking when you get to try them a little, you should post back with your thought of the spot vs flood patterns. Those look like they're really going to put the light way out there for high speed riding.

Thank you very much for your feedback on these, I'm going to look at putting the lamps under the mirrors on the BMR mounts, and switch to the high beam circuit. Between that and the HID high/low and the PIAA's under the cowl(1100X's) running all the time, that should do it.......

post #8 of 10 Old May 14th, 2008, 8:19 am

I don't expectt ehm to point too far down the road as they are currently configured at the same adjustment as my low beam. Meaning, where the low beam ends, so should the TT lights (more or less). Although they certainly could light up the sky if desired.

These lights have very little back scatter unlike my Hella FF50's I converted to HID. Those would lght up the treetops over a quarter mile away plus still light up the road. Those lights were mounted low and still had way to much back scatter for use ar night on public roads.

As for the mirror mounts, I personally would not recommend them. But that's just a personal opinion. I had them on my RT (PIAA lights) and replaced them with the Ezy-Mount for a lower installation. Reason why ... higher lights require more downward angle to avoid affecting other drivers. That severly limits just how far down the road you can focus the beam. In my case, they were right at the limit of the stock H4 bulb. They light up the area to the left and right of the stocker, but still it was only 25 ~ 35 (OK, maybe 50 on a good day) feet down the road. Or at least it seemed that way.

Also, as an FYI, many states (CA does) limit the hight of driving, fog, and auxillary lights to no more than the same height (centered) of the headlight. You should check with your DMV vechicle code to see what your legal limitations are regarding lights. Most states also limit the number of simultaneous lights. In CA it is no more than 4 at any one time.

post #9 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Bouncer

I've been looking at the Trail Techs for my R1200GSA.

They are the same as the PIAA Cross Country HIDs. TT makes them for PIAA.

You can find them here (about half what the PIAAs cost):

http://www.trailtech.net/single_hid_scmr16.html

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 5:43 pm

You want the spot beam (11 or 12 degrees IIRC). Don't be tempted by the 4", 40W model- is beam is too wide for normal highway use.

TT is very good at standing behind their products. I've had mine (SCMR-16) a year and the initial set bought through Rider Wearhouse (and wired using the PIAA mounts/harness for 1100 on my RT) were completely faulty.

They had:
1) bad bulbs (fogged over internally due to coating not heat resistant and evaporating onto the reflector and glass cutting output by 2/3 or more)
2) bulbs that blew frequently (retail cost $85 each)
3) bad ballasts that contributed to bulb failures and one ballast that actually failed.

TT has sent me 3 new bulbs and a pair of ballasts (current ballast is potted in blue epoxy while early ones were potted in black.) They have changed the bulb manufacturing and the ballast design. I've only got 20 hrs or so of use on the revised setup and it appears to be OK but until I can get through a riding season without a bulb or ballast failure, I do not consider these as something I'd pick to use on an Alaska trip or any other place where failure would be more than inconvenient.

They are plenty bright and I hope the current ballast/bulb combo proves reliable. If its running "as is" this time next year that will be reliable enough for me. Hope they are though I can easily pop any one of a number of holgens onto the mounts as replacements if they continue to be unreliable.

TT clearly lacked proper quality and development practices when these lights were first marketed. This may now be remedied but frankly I think you ought to consider yourself a beta tester if you buy them. Plan to deal directly with TT if you have issues- they do stand behind their product.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in