HID alternative for Lighting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

HID alternative for Lighting

Ok, after 3 years I could not take the original lighting anymore. HID? Too expensive and not DOT approved. Found an interesting alternative plus it looks great. I bought my light from Ducati Designs at

http://www.ducatidesigns.com/bmw_sport_touring?b=1

Cost $575, installed by my dealer $172 for a total of $747. Some will argue that for that price I should have installed the HID low beam, well the kit alone is $500 + installation. I not have a low and high beam that actually work.

The pattern is unique, a projected beam of light with the side illuminated like wide fog lamps, I can now actually see in front of me at night. The high beam is really powerful and light up my entire street.

I have enclosed some pictures as well. The light kit is a Hella and the paint quality and fit is excellent

My dealer loved the product so much that they will carry it as an HID alternative. The kit is made for 04's and before.

I'm not saying that this is the best route just something else to consider, I personally love the look and the lighting benefit.

Regards,

Joe A
aka "RainMan"
02' Tuscana Green
Hamilton Sq., NJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1186   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1187   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1188  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 5:54 pm

Joe, many of us love the look and the extra lighting is a no brainer. If you are happy with it, that's all that counts. Congrats on your new set-up!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 9:23 am

Man, that looks awesome! I really like it.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 9:40 pm

Looks awsome!

Be curious to see how the light it puts out compares to my HID. Really looks good, especially the color!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 19th, 2005, 10:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Be curious to see how the light it puts out compares to my HID. Really looks good, especially the color!
I've ridden with one of these setups, while my LT has the original Stick HID kit. This kit is much better than stock, but not quite as bright as HID. Many folks like the looks, and everyone raves about the quality of the kit.

Search this site for Ducati Designs for more info and reviews.

And for the record, decent HID kits can be ad for just over $100 per bulb nowadays. Sure beats the $500 I spent about 5 years ago.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 2:40 pm

$500 for just low beam HID, where did you hear that?! The asian kits are pretty
cheap but even the German component kits (bulb and ballast) from reliable
places are under $350 and definately no more than $575 for both high and
low beam HID, the same you paid for the Ducatidesign headlight. While the
DD kit looks good, it is still a halogen bulb with less than half the HID light
output. The brightness of the high beam is irrelevant because where can you
use it, there is always someone else on the road.
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:11 pm

I have to take issue with your exaggerated statements. The 35W HID capsules from Philips (arguably the best) produce 3200 lm (at 13.2V, not clear what happens at reduced voltage), whereas the Hella/GE/Osram H9 bulbs used in the DD headlights produce 2100 lm at the same voltage. That's more like 50% greater output, but not double. Additionally the plated-plastic low-beam reflector used in the stock LT headlight is of a lower quality than the free-form, cast magnesium reflectors used in the Hella modules and may not be optimal for focussing or reflecting the HID emission. I've not seen photometric data which support any assertion about relative brightness. While the HID may appear brighter to the eye, some of that may be dazzle which does not necessarily reach the road.

If HID works for you, that's great. You made the right choice.

And where I ride (a lot) the high beam gets used (a lot). It produces a brilliant, well focussed beam with no off-axis glare or dazzle, and lights instantly. Many people find it useful.

pg

Paul Geller
Ducati Designs, LLC
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Correction/amendment to my post above

I mis-stated the output for an H9 bulb as 2100lm at 13.2V, whereas the documented output (as specified by DOT) is 2100lm at 12.8V (the DOT test voltage). When operating at the more typical running voltage of 14V, the output for the H9 has been shown to be ~2500lm. So the difference in bulb radiant output between H9 and HID (D2) is only around 28%. Note that the HID bulb does not typically increase in output as the input (DC) voltage changes.

pg
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Beam adjustment

This year I am ready to change my light. I have some IBA rides to do again this year. I really like the DD product. My biggest worry is the loss of the dash beam level adjustment. I use mine periodically to make small adjustments for road lighting. One of the worrys for me about hid is bulb element replacment on the road during ride. I suppose I just need to decide.
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 9:25 pm

Re: HID alternative for Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan
$500 for just low beam HID, where did you hear that?! The asian kits are pretty
cheap but even the German component kits (bulb and ballast) from reliable
places are under $350 and definately no more than $575 for both high and
low beam HID, the same you paid for the Ducatidesign headlight. While the
DD kit looks good, it is still a halogen bulb with less than half the HID light
output. The brightness of the high beam is irrelevant because where can you
use it, there is always someone else on the road.
I converted my two lowbeams to 6500K HID for $169.

I recently converted my hi-beam to a 4300K HID for an additional $119.

I don't see any delay when flashing my hi-beam just a "bright' flash when it first ignites for the first time.

If you have H7 bulbs (the only ones I can speak to) I can't believe anything can beat the conspicuity, or the light down range.

Oh, and I used XenonRider.com for mine, VERY happy with their customer service and quality of their product.

2009 R1200RT Silver
2002 R1150RS Silver (SOLD!)
2003 JD 2305 Green and Yellow.
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: Correction/amendment to my post above

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeller
I mis-stated the output for an H9 bulb as 2100lm at 13.2V, whereas the documented output (as specified by DOT) is 2100lm at 12.8V (the DOT test voltage). When operating at the more typical running voltage of 14V, the output for the H9 has been shown to be ~2500lm. So the difference in bulb radiant output between H9 and HID (D2) is only around 28%. Note that the HID bulb does not typically increase in output as the input (DC) voltage changes.

pg
I know this is an old post but you'll never see 14 volts at the bulb. Measure the voltage at the bulb and you're lucky to see 12-12.8 volts after the voltage drop in the wire. 1600-2100 lumens on a H9 before the reflector losses on a new bulb.

Most HID's are not effected at all when you drop the voltage. 11 volts in and you'll still get full lumens out. Mine don't cut out until under 10 volts. If you measure a HID with a volt/amp meter you'll see the amperage go up to make up for the lost voltage. I'm running 4500K HID's, 55 watts Ballasts and the draw is 3.4 Amps and 58 watts each. These are from http://www.ddmtuning.com/ DDM hs the best ballasts setup for the money. Spare bulbs(even 55w) are only $25 a pair if you ever need them.

That's $80 for a set of two 5,000 lumen 55 watt HID's with compact ballast's. Since I have two sets I have 20,000 Lumens on tap within the stock R1150RTP headlight housing. The high beam was a little tricky but I did it all without removing any tupperware at all.

The last thing you wan't to do is run 6K or above with that many lumens. You will be a Ticket magnet. Keep them at the stock 4.1-4.5K HID range and you'll have beautiful white light without the blue look that cops target for Tickets. When you get into the 6K range the lights will light up the fog and you can't see. There is a good reason why stock HID's are around 4,300k.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in