Motolight wiring - two wires go where? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

Motolight wiring - two wires go where?

In the process of putting the bike back together, after hooking up the ten or so terminals to the battery, I found a wire going down the left side, back under the passenger seat, going nowhere. No crimps in the end, no clue where it may have been hooked up.

Tracing the harness, this was one of two wires which came from the Motolight switch. One has the inline fuse with a battery terminal end on it - which is supposed to go to WHICH TERMINAL?

I did have them separated and tied when I took them off, but I had a real mess trying to get the rear shock in, and had to temporarily let them all loose to get what I needed to fit in that small pocket.

The other wire shows no sign of where it should go, and I assume gets spliced into a wire that is hot when the key and / or lights are on.

ANY IDEAS AS TO WHERE TO LOOK TO ATTACH THIS WIRE?

I am considering powering this by the autoswitch off the turn signal. If I do so, is there a way to hook up an LED to indicate the lights are on, if so, where do I buy one and where in the line is it connected.

If not, do the lights turn off, each time the key or engine is turned off?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 6:23 pm
Hog

Re: Motolight wiring - two wires go where?

The wire with fuse goes to the positive side of the battery. The wire from the relay goes to ground you have two grounds. And then another wire goes to a switched power source. Hope this helps. The autoswitch comes with a LED .Dave
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

I just double checked the wires. I have 3 going to ground from the relay. One to + on the battery, and the last wire which was run along the frame under the passenger seat, is the one I need to figure out where they would have tapped into the power source. I have not seen any connectors, or indications of where it was intended for.

Do I need to know that if I use the Autoswitch, or will that tap into another power source using their switch?

Thanks in advance!

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 7:39 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

What year is your bike?

If 1999-2004. most probably it was tapped to the parking lamp inside the headlight or the map light.

2005 and up, could be the same plus the running light feature of the turn signals.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 7:54 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
What year is your bike?

If 1999-2004. most probably it was tapped to the parking lamp inside the headlight or the map light.

2005 and up, could be the same plus the running light feature of the turn signals.
Don't forget, BMW used the rider's heated seat wiring to trigger their accessory power option. Motolight and a lot of accessory people used that same connection for switched accessory power. That would be the green wire with the brown stripe.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:08 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Yup. Forgot about that one. They may also have tapped into the tail light (running light). I think if you follow their instructions, it mentions the tail light.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 26th, 2008, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Motolight wiring - autoswitch wires go?

Posted a few more pics here today. I don't have the instructions, the lights were a used set, installed by the dealer. LT wiring pics - Saturday - looks like we will be rained out shorty and temps are dropping quickly.

See the photos here:
http://www.sendpix.com/albums/08042607/cgooe9dlaw/

#1 This is the green wire with a black stripe, and a yellow wire, inside a harness on the ride side just rear and under the outrigger for the crash bar. It was pinched in between the frame and the fairing. I don't see any bare wire, so I taped it. Just curious what it may do, just in case I have a problem down the road, could it be useful to know what this does.

#2 There is a splice in the green wire with the brown stripe going to the heated seat. I did test, and it does power on with the key. I would not appear there was enough room to fit another wire in there, but the closest connector I see where it may have been hooked up. Very shoddy workmanship on that install, and not reusable. Sure is not enough wire left to splice this together as it is.

#3 There is a white ballast of some kind on right side, under the passenger seat.

#4 pic is the wiring from that, going to ? behind the trunk. Any ideas what this may be. It has a 30amp fuse.

#5 Curious what this is ? it is tied to the bottom rear of the right side outrigger. It has a rubber sleeve on the outside, a rubber cap of some sort just about sticking out. The other end runs to what appears to be the back of the transmission and is bolted on with what looks like some electrical connector.

The driver's side D/C power connection on the LS fairing, is shot - both ends. Thoughts on replacing with generic Auto supply vs buying BMW replacement? It looks way too corroded to clean up.

AUTOSWITCH: I may be in over my head on this - so without some clarity, it may either be the most expensive LED I every buy, or I may have to sell it.
Sure would like to figure this out however.

The Orange wire going to the right handle bar cluster. Is there somewhere else on the bike I can splice into the brown wire with white stripe. I have difficulty seeing at this distance, and it seems more risky that it is worth taking anything else apart. I just had the throttle cables adjusted, and I can not risk moving stuff around I have no knowledge of. That cluster is well jammed in there.

I followed the wiring harness to the area behind and at the bottom of the right side radiator, but can not see where they go from there. I do see the brown with white stripe, but can not reach it, and would not feel comfortable splicing into at that area. Any thoughts on where to look beyond that. I do have a multimeter to test for continuity, if I can locate the right place to look for the wire.

What is the "AS violet" wire? Would this be the wire that goes to the + wire on the Motolight relay?

Greatly appreciate all the replies!!

Anyone use the BMW fuel line QD's? I need to buy something to solve that problem this coming week. It was too late to reach the Jiffy Tite company on friday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in