Anyone buy and install HID headlights? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 6:52 am Thread Starter

Anyone buy and install HID headlights?

Recall a few talking about High Intensity Discharge headlights and gave web addresses but have not seen the promised updates.

Anyone get the light packages for $200 or the one for $110?

Wondering about the quality differences between the German made and the Chinese brand.

Thanks

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 7:19 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Hey Steve,

You can look in our Lighting forum for several discussions of various HID kits. This thread even gives a review of the discount HID setups that you're referring to.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 16 Old Dec 11th, 2005, 7:36 am Thread Starter

okay!

Thank you very much, I'll look there.

S

post #4 of 16 Old Dec 13th, 2005, 8:50 pm

Smile CQlight install

Installed the "cqlight" hid system about 2 weeks ago. All-in-all, it looks like a pretty solid system. Decent weather tight connectors, solid (heavy) metal box and plastic ballast. It would be a little nicer to have the ballast built into th electronics box, just to decrease the amount of stuff to velcro down, but I can't see paying much more for that. It works! One nice thing related to the mounting was a rubber grommet that the two bulb wires go through. There are two additional holes that just need a "poke" to break out. This leaves four total grommet holes. This is nice because the two power leads within the light housing need to come out to go to the electronics box (mounted above on the "shelf") and can go through these two additional holes (after cutting, sliding through the holes and resoldering). Now all four leads are in the grommet, leaving a nice water tight seal. No "goop" required! Just cut a hole in the light enclosure "door" barely big enough to make for a very tight grommet seal. Oh, by the way, yellow is positive and brown is negative. It took me way too long to find that! The light looks bright and has been great so far (after a whole two weeks). One mistake I made - stay with the lower color temperature lights, like 4200K or 5000K. I got the 6500K and it looks cool, but is a little too purple for me and I suspect not quite as bright either. I would probably go with the 5000K if I had to do it again. I know most seem to like the 4200K for the sheer brightness of it, but I kind of like a little color too. Live and learn - still a nice system for the price ($130 inc shipping). I can't comment on the German systems, so this is just half of your question. I hope they are a whole lot better, given the prices I've seem. Good luck deciding.
post #5 of 16 Old Dec 16th, 2005, 4:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Unhappy Help!!

I bought the CQ kit for my '05 and now that I have the nose cone off I don't see how this is going to "easily" hook up or how the bulb is going into the housing. I also don't see the places to "poke" out for the wires to run through. There is a metal piece with a hole in it on the housing and it isn't big enough for this bulb to go through. I guess I'm just lost. This is my first attempt at removing the tupperware and getting into "Ophelia".
I have to run to an event now(5:45pm EST) but I sure could use a reply so I can put this back together tomorrow.
Benton
[email protected]

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #6 of 16 Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblalock
I bought the CQ kit for my '05 and now that I have the nose cone off I don't see how this is going to "easily" hook up or how the bulb is going into the housing. I also don't see the places to "poke" out for the wires to run through. There is a metal piece with a hole in it on the housing and it isn't big enough for this bulb to go through. I guess I'm just lost. This is my first attempt at removing the tupperware and getting into "Ophelia".
I have to run to an event now(5:45pm EST) but I sure could use a reply so I can put this back together tomorrow.
Benton
[email protected]
Go to Raffy's web site and get his instructions. They are the most coherent I've seen.

BTW: Thanks Raffy!

Lewis
post #7 of 16 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 7:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Red face HID is installed

Ok, I freaked out with the kit installation. I guess I was overwhelmed with the tupperware removal and then seeing the HID wiring. But now the kit is in and it works great! Thanks to 2Wheeler and others on this site I will be able to do more of "Ophelia's" maintenance. For those pondering this HID mod but apprehensive about doing it, here are some things I learned:
1. Paul Sayegh's videos are great(tupperware removal on this project)
2. Print the "Nose Cone Removal" from HoW on this site
3. There is an illustration in HoW of the fairing parts with the screw sizes and location shown on all the parts. Print it
4. Two holes are drilled in the black plastic light housing - 3/4" and 9/16"
5. There is a grommet for the 3/4 hole in the kit and I used a 9/16ODx1/4ID grommet for the other to make a tight weather seal(cut this one across so you can put the wires in it and be able to stuff it back in the 9/16 hole - very tight)
6. The ballast and igniter are velcroed to the flat surface on the top of the light housing(I think this has been referred to as "the shelf")
7. Plug all the lights back in, don't forget the temp probe, partially install the top screw into the nose cone so you can have it hang while you test all the lights
8. While the tupperware is off, look on the inside for wear spots, causing rattles, and put something there to separate those parts
9. Research the HoW section and follow the many links to learn all about the LT, before you do as I did and freak out
I had no left over screws but apparently I did mix up several different length screws.

Benton Blalock

'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #8 of 16 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 9:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by km5bh
Go to Raffy's web site and get his instructions. They are the most coherent I've seen.

BTW: Thanks Raffy!

Lewis
Which web site?

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
post #9 of 16 Old Dec 18th, 2005, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by atps1234
Which web site?

OB
It was on here. I thought I got it off his web site.

Here is the link;

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...apsed&sb=5&o=7

This should help.

I just got back from my first ride in the dark with these lights.

Like Nancy said. Just Do It! But don't say No. Say Yes! They are great.

Lewis
post #10 of 16 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 11:34 pm

Question CQ Install?

BBlalock, Ok I think I'm more lost than you were. I purchased the CQ lighting installation kit and downloaded some instruction from Raffy's site (sure with there were pictures).

What is the Tupperware you refer to and where can I find Paul Sayegh's video?

Where do I find the HoW for the nose cone removal and fairing parts?

Where do you live, can you come over and install mine?

Just kidding on the last one, any help is much appreciated, thanks.

BushWacker

"Let's ride we're burnin' daylight!"
post #11 of 16 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 3:32 pm

Took a different Path

I used the light kit from Ducati Designs

Liked the look and vast improvement in lighting, plus the kit is DOT approved which makes it legal. It uses two individual Hella lamps with H9 bulbs.

see http://www.ducatidesigns.com/bmw_sport_touring?b=1

See attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike_0001.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike_0004.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1408  
post #12 of 16 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 8:02 pm

Just put my CQlight kit in my 20002 LT and followed some of the instructions found here on our site. Cutting that first hole was a bit difficult because of different input from others on this site and the number of holes. With the CQ kit only one hole (3/4") is all that is needed. You do want to make sure you drill the hole in the slight curved portion of the dust cover with the edge of your hole at the "up arrow" point and the hole being made just below that tip. The kit comes with the 3/4" grommet with two wires already going through the grommet. The plug you remove from the back of the old bulb must be plugged into the wiring harness you are given and these wires can be put through the grommet by just cutting a slit along the side of the holes. Slide all the wires through the dust cover then put the wires in the slits of the grommet. Now all four are running through and now you can set the grommet through the hole on the inside of the cover. Very nice fit and can put just a drop of sealer on top of the slit (outside) if you so desire. I just took the wiring harness blade ends and stuck them in the old plug with black to brown and red to yellow. I then wrapped them with a covering to make sure none of the connections made contact with the other metal parts under the dust cover. Every thing fit under the dust cover. The ignitor and ballast were velcroed to the top of the light. That was a very tight fit but worked. Don't mount them there until you make sure they clear the wiring and windshield motor that is near by. You can do that by leaving everything loose and hanging the front nose loosely with just the one screw.
post #13 of 16 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 2:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

I PM'd him on this.

Benton Blalock

230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #14 of 16 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 2:40 pm

Years ago when I put the HID in my LT, I put the hole in the side of the headlight housing, not in the cover. That way you can remove the cover to replace the high beam bulb without touching the wiring for the HID low beam. Of course that was a pre-'05 bike where both are in the same housing. On the '05 that is not an issue as you have to remove the cover to get to the only bulb in there.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 16 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 9:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Smile

I PMed BushWacker on this.

Benton Blalock

230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #16 of 16 Old Jan 11th, 2006, 4:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile

After installing the CQ HID lowbeam on my '05, I had lots of white light at the bike but didn't seem to be throwing far enough out ahead. I raised the beam a few degrees and now I have usable light way out. Not one cager flashed me on the two lane but they were moving over when I came up behind on the slab. The adjustment can be done without tools, just patience and strong fingers.
Now the high beam doesn't seem to have any effect because the HID is giving so much light.

Benton Blalock

230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in