Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Swansboro(area), NC, USA
HID is installed
Ok, I freaked out with the kit installation. I guess I was overwhelmed with the tupperware removal and then seeing the HID wiring. But now the kit is in and it works great! Thanks to 2Wheeler and others on this site I will be able to do more of "Ophelia's" maintenance. For those pondering this HID mod but apprehensive about doing it, here are some things I learned:
1. Paul Sayegh's videos are great(tupperware removal on this project)
2. Print the "Nose Cone Removal" from HoW on this site
3. There is an illustration in HoW of the fairing parts with the screw sizes and location shown on all the parts. Print it
4. Two holes are drilled in the black plastic light housing - 3/4" and 9/16"
5. There is a grommet for the 3/4 hole in the kit and I used a 9/16ODx1/4ID grommet for the other to make a tight weather seal(cut this one across so you can put the wires in it and be able to stuff it back in the 9/16 hole - very tight)
6. The ballast and igniter are velcroed to the flat surface on the top of the light housing(I think this has been referred to as "the shelf")
7. Plug all the lights back in, don't forget the temp probe, partially install the top screw into the nose cone so you can have it hang while you test all the lights
8. While the tupperware is off, look on the inside for wear spots, causing rattles, and put something there to separate those parts
9. Research the HoW section and follow the many links to learn all about the LT, before you do as I did and freak out
I had no left over screws but apparently I did mix up several different length screws.
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"
'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles