Piaa 1100x - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 6:00 pm Thread Starter

Cool Piaa 1100x

I bought a set of PIAA 1100X to mount under the cowl...
For those with this setup, where did you install/mount the on/off switch?
Also who slaved them to the low bean and aimed them low vs. slaved them with the hi beam and aimed them to light up far ahead.
I bought these lights to solve a specific problem: driving through canyons at night where neither the HID low beam nor the high beam (stock) would provide enough light to the sides in the canyons turns and forcing me to Slow down to a crawl. Not a pleasant feeling when there is a cage behind you trying to "push" you and there no room for them to pass...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 6:04 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Criss cross the lights slightly and aim them low so when you lean, the outside light will point to the inside an illuminate the side of the rioad better.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Wink

Thank Raffy!
So I need to slave them to the LOW beam. What is the preferred location for the On/Of knowing I won't use it very often as I will keep the lights on for conspicuity?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 6:56 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Under the seat or under the left handlebar controls.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #5 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 8:20 pm

I have mine set up separately, not slaved from either high or low beam. They are activated using an auto switch utilizing the turn signal cancel button. In this way I can turn them on or off anytime I want. I usually turn them on all the time. They are angled to provide supplemental light to my low beams. For high beams I have a pair of Hella Micro DE Xenons mouted under the mirrors. They are connected to my highbeam. So when I turn my high beam on you see five lights coming at you. This is probaly illegal in many states. Some states only allow motorcycles three lights on at a time. I guess I will duke that our with the authorities when the time comes. I may change this setup to slave my PIAA's to the low beam, but this work well for me. I am considering adding true fog lights under the highway pegs and if I do that I will definately have to change the PIAA's to low beam only mode(or maybe not).
http://www.bmwlt.com/gallery/showima...=3&userid=7846
Hope this helps.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #6 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 9:56 pm

PIAA Light Switch Mount

My lights are slaved to the low beam. The switch is located on the other side of the cruise contol switches. My lights are focused to augment my high beam.
post #7 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:11 pm

Mine were installed by the dealer and they wored them independant of the lights. I can turn them on and off with the switch which is mounted on the right hand handle bar just to the left of the engine cutoff switch. I can take a picture and post it tomorrow if you want. To be more specific, just to the eft of the center stand button where the cover for the handle bars endsthere is a small space that the button fits nicely. I was looking thru the gallery here and found that docwagner has the same button mounted in the same spot. If you go to the gallery and lookup dacwagner then look for the picture labeled full handle bar layout you can just make out the PIAA switch under his SAt radio.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

Last edited by Lzyellodog; Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:19 pm.
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
where did you install/mount the on/off switch?
Also who slaved them to the low bean and aimed them low vs. slaved them with the hi beam and aimed them to light up far ahead.
Another alternative: use the factory "Phoenix switch" cluster on the right handlebar. And check your state laws -- I have my 1100X's slaved to the low beam, in part because it's required by VA.

As for aiming, I use mine to make a "triangle" of light to make me more visible, and not for additional illumination. Because the 1100X's have a very wide pattern, there's a lot of off-axis glare. Accordingly, I have them aimed *way* low.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #9 of 20 Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Thank Raffy!
So I need to slave them to the LOW beam. What is the preferred location for the On/Of knowing I won't use it very often as I will keep the lights on for conspicuity?
Do not slave them to either light, as you want them to be independent.

I mounted the 'stock' switch next to the Computer Info window. It's an quick wiring job, out of the weather and easy to reach.

My PIAAs get used for night canyon carving and general daytime conspicuity - as you mentioned. I use them very little on the slab, in light traffic or on deserted back roads.

Also, if properly aimed as Raffy suggests, I have never been flashed - But at night with the HID low beam AND the PIAAs - the cages sure yield the road rather quickly.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #10 of 20 Old Dec 7th, 2005, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thank you all as I gathered enough info to do my installation!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #11 of 20 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:48 am

Do Not Slave...

Recommend you do not slave PIAA's to either high or low beam. Connect direct to battery (pos / neg), find switched ignition tap for PIAA switch, i.e. parking lamp inside headlamp assy and mount switch to handlebar clutch or brake lever assy housing for easy reach/control... Turn on/off as you need them....

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #12 of 20 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 8:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount
Recommend you do not slave PIAA's to either high or low beam. Connect direct to battery (pos / neg), find switched ignition tap for PIAA switch, i.e. parking lamp inside headlamp assy and mount switch to handlebar clutch or brake lever assy housing for easy reach/control... Turn on/off as you need them....
Please explain why you would recommend not to slave to either high or low beam.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #13 of 20 Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:16 pm

One reason might be that they burn out after awhile and you may want to vary when you really need them on. Mine lasted about 10K miles while on most of the time before the bulbs burned out within about a week of each other. $45 each to replace. I use them for the triangle view from the front as I have not found them to be particularly effective for distance illumination. They function more as fog lights. I have them on an auto switch that uses the signal cancel button. Adding HID and then HH50s under the mirrors slaved to the high beam provided the "grand" canyon illumination I was seeking.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #14 of 20 Old Dec 15th, 2005, 3:45 pm

Bulb Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee
Please explain why you would recommend not to slave to either high or low beam.
On/Off Cycles affects bulb life. Even PIAA recommends independant switching of lights, with direct connections to Battery +/-....

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #15 of 20 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 8:37 pm

You probably have it done already but I put the switch in the "glove compartment" this way its locked and I don't have to worry about my kids or someone accidently turning on the lights and draining the battery.
post #16 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 7:14 am

Lightbulb Aux Light Switching..

Just a note: Slaving your aux light control circuit to a circuit that shuts down every time you start your engine will decrease the life of your bulbs.

i.e.....

key to on = lights on,
key to start = lights off,
engine start = lights back on..

this is one additional on/off cycle every time you start your bikes engine !

It doesn't take that much effort to hit the light switch button to turn on your lights after you start your engine; and if you have connected your switch to an 'ignition sense source', then you don't have to worry about leaving your lights on, or someone else turning them on when you are away from the bike...

Just some food for thought....

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #17 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 11:29 am

I am about to mount PIAAs also. In addition to the lights allowing me to see better and letting cagers see me better, I want them in case my main headlight goes out. It they are slaved to the low beam and the fuse blows, the PIAAs wll go out too.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #18 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 2:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Uh Brian, there is no low beam fuse.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 2:24 pm

I'm not an electrician, but you get the point. I don't want both lights dependent on the same power source, wires, fuse, whatever.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #20 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 2:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
I'm not an electrician, but you get the point. I don't want both lights dependent on the same power source, wires, fuse, whatever.
Agreed. I did have my HID go out on a long ride once, and had to aim the high beam low and use it full time. Turns out it was a bad contact at the HID relay, but at least I was able to ride to a safe and comfortable place to diagnose that.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in