PIAA light bulbs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Wink PIAA light bulbs

Hi everyone
Has any of you had any experience of PIAA light bulbs in K1200lts,
Are they as claimed the equivalent of a 110watt.
They are not very common in the UK but there are some dealers that stock them but at a high price.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Brian King UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 4:35 pm

PIAA Lights

I have the PIAA 1000s on my bike. The bulbs are rated at 55 W and are supposed to be equivalent to 85 Watt bulbs. They fill in the near distance nicely. They're alright, but definately not as good as HIDs.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 6:12 pm

They are only a marginal improvement over stock. Not much difference at all. I tried quite a few halogen "upgrades", only to find them a waste of money. After a few months of trying, I put in HID low beam. HOLY COW! What a difference.

I was still running a true 85 watt PIAA Super White bulb in the high beam, but it looked like a weak, yellow candle in comparison the HID low beam.

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 1:43 pm

Question Hid Lights

Where do you find the HID lights that you are speaking of?
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 2:32 pm

Try www.hid-online.com.

Gilles
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:10 pm

I put in a PIAA low beam Xtreme white, I think a 55w-100w bulb. Was a big difference over stock for me, but helped to have my 1100 PIAA's on. Worked good. But, just went to HID slow beam and now I don't even need the 1100's on, but even better with them on.

The high beam PIAA did nothing! Wondering if HID high beam will do anything....

I can sell you my low beam for a good $ if you want to give it a try. I only put 3-4K miles on it this summer. So, pretty new IMO.

e-mail me at: [email protected] or PM.

Cheers,
Phil
Brooklyn, MI
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:03 am

Halogen Bulbs and the facts

You may find this article informative. This is the largest laboratory based independent test I am aware of for halogen product.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/

The claim on higher ‘output’ wattage is actually filament luminance and is the technology used here on certainly the Osram and Philips products in the +30% and +50% ranges. This however is a very precise science and it’s easy to get it wrong and they do not test6 life here which if done badly is a negative consequence

Nick
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:48 pm

Hi Brian you might want to look on their site at PIAAlights.com
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:48 am

I have a 2005 K1200LT and am researching converting the high and low beams to HID. Is there any problems with greater heat and fogging or damaging the plastic headlight covers?
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 6:23 pm

The HID actually seems to run cooler than a high wattage halogen. Word is, this leads to long life of bulb too. After the 20,00volt blast that lights the gas in the bulb the actual energy to run the bulb is less, hence the cooler running. I have read here of many who tried a higher wattage bulb and it caused heat problems, and the various "blue light specials" seems to be more of a fashion statement than a serious improvement in light output on the road.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 7:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
No problems. The HID is more efficient, giving more useable light but using less energy to do so. Several members have upgraded '05 LT's to HID without any issues.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:22 pm

Thumbs up

I changed mine to HID's High & low beam about a month ago. Was about to give up riding at night. Thought I was getting to old and losing my night vision. Now I ride at night all the time.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in