Philips VisionPlus H4 Bulb - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 10:30 am Thread Starter
ytk

Philips VisionPlus H4 Bulb

Anyone have any experience using this bulb in the K12LT? If yes, does the extra wattage create any heat or power drain problems? Does it really provide additional illumination? Is it worth the money and effort to purchase/install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 10:56 am
Senior Member (ret.)

No. There should be no issues with heat/power drain.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:19 am

The LT does not use an H4 bulb! The only headlight bulbs the LT uses are H7, H3, and H9/H11 for the '05.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:50 am

Thumbs up Vision plus

Try going to this site and e-mail them your question. www.autolamps-online.com. They are in with hid-online and the customer service is one of the best I have experenced. Thanks to Raffy for the ref to hid-online
post #5 of 18 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 12:43 pm

I just installed (thanks to Raffy and Amarider) the HID kit as well as a H3 vision plus high beam. The HID low beam is so overwhelming, I'm not sure the Vision Plus is really needed (or a high beam at all for that matter!). It does, however, match the HID 4100's in color, and does produce more light.
post #6 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 12:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytk
does the extra wattage create any heat or power drain problems? Does it really provide additional illumination? Is it worth the money and effort to purchase/install?
These class of bulbs draw stock wattage. They are designed to function as stock replacement for OEM light. And they do put out more light.

Other similar are GE Nighthawk and Sylvania/Osram Silver Stars.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing Heated JACKET LINER Review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/p...bing/liner.htm
:
post #7 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 8:50 am

Raffy:

Have you seen the Vision Plus compared to the Sylvania Silver Star? I put the Silver Stars in my BMW cars high beams, and it was a total waste of money. Very little difference in them and the stock halogens. Still very yellow compared to the HID low beams. If the Vision Plus are actually close in color to the HIDs I may try them instead of the Silver Star rip offs.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #8 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 10:22 am
Senior Member (ret.)

David:

I have not done a side by side comparo between the VP and SS. How's about I send you a set for independent testing and you can post your findings?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #9 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 11:23 am

I would be glad to test a VP against my Silver Stars. Can you get them in 9005's? That is what my cars have for high beam. I have Silver Stars now, and was really disappointed in them. Put one in, turned on the lights, and was surprised that I could hardly tell the difference in it and the standard halogen on the other side.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #10 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 11:30 am
Senior Member (ret.)

I'll see if I can source some for you. A pair?

Raffy
post #11 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I have Silver Stars now, and was really disappointed in them. Put one in, turned on the lights, and was surprised that I could hardly tell the difference in it and the standard halogen on the other side.
I'm surprised by your experience. It sounds like you used a product totally different than the one I used.

When I did a review of them, the color difference as compared to stock halogen was very noticeable. Output was also about 20% better than stock.

But what really made a difference was the higher temperature color that improved contrast noticeably.

The Sylvania Silver Stars come closest of all high performance bulbs to HID color temperature.

I have a review of them:
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/p...silverstar.htm

For comparisson sake, I'll be reviewing other brands in the near future.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing Heated JACKET LINER Review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/p...bing/liner.htm
:
post #12 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 2:24 pm

Yes, one pair. I will contrast them to the Silver Stars, and if a good difference I will buy a second pair.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #13 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 2:26 pm

I wish I had thought to show them to the guys that were here for the clutch slave cylinder replacement. I had meant to show them, but forgot.

I put Silver Stars in both my BMW cars, and they are only slightly whiter than the stock halogens. Really yellow compared to the HID low beams in the cars. Not even close.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #14 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 6:06 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
No problem, David. Just let us know how the new ones turn out. I'd like to update my high beam to match the HID a bit better.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 18 Old Nov 20th, 2005, 7:05 pm

I just installed the HID-Online low beam conversion with the supplied Philips Bule Vision. I chose the Blue Vision because it listed the color temp as 4000k, close to the 4200 k of the new HID. It seems to have a slight yellow color next to the HID, but it is hard to see the high beam at all with HIDs power. Keep in mind that Xenon HID will go twards the blue side of the spectrum as they mature.
post #16 of 18 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 9:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

For those of us who are a behind the lighting terminology curve, here is a web site that is a great resource:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ulb_types.html

Motor On ,/'

post #17 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 2:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Raffy:

Have you seen the Vision Plus compared to the Sylvania Silver Star? I put the Silver Stars in my BMW cars high beams, and it was a total waste of money. Very little difference in them and the stock halogens. Still very yellow compared to the HID low beams. If the Vision Plus are actually close in color to the HIDs I may try them instead of the Silver Star rip offs.
Interesting. The same day this thread go rolling, I happened to purchase a Sylvania SilverStar bulb for my LT. I feel there is a very small improvement, maybe equal to the $25 I paid for the bulb. I guess I got my money's worth.

One of these days I'll do the HID installation but for now, simple fact of the matter, I got what I paid for.

Tom Haycraft
Round Rock, TX

2001 K1200LT - Champagne (2004 - 2010 / R.I.P.)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue (2010 - )
post #18 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 2:37 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Tom:

There is a reason why one costs $25 and the other $139-$288.

Raffy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in