'03 LTE Speedometer Modification - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 8:52 am Thread Starter

'03 LTE Speedometer Modification

This past weekend I installed a low beam HID from CQlight, Inc. Awesome difference in visibility, maybe a bit on the blue side, but I'm happy. While I was in the tear-down process I decided to do the speedometer mod. Once I removed the speedo from the case I noticed the PC board was laid out slightly different than the pictures from the HOW link on this site. BTW, great directions and information on that thread. I observed the same contacts and designations on my PC board as on the earlier LTs, but some other contacts were positioned differently. Anyway I soldered the contacts as per the instructions. Then, out for a test drive and I immediately noticed a difference, however the new difference is just over 20% optimistic. My speedometer reads 80 when my GPS reads 65. Now it's completely worthless.

Guess I'll tear it back down and remove the modification. Just curious if anyone else with an '03 has successfully completed this modification?

Any ideas before I get back in there and remove the jumpers?

THanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 9:27 am

Yes, there were pictures of the '03 board on the old site, but some did do the change with no problems. Despite than a difference in board layout, the jumpers did the same thing.

Are you positive you jumped the solder pads correctly? There should be a jumper from JC to it's adjacent ground pad, and another jumper from JB to it's adjacent ground pad. If you jumped from JB TO JC, it would be wrong.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 9:39 am
Bouncer

I believe it was Grif who posted the picture of the '03 speedometer. If I recall correctly someone with a newer bike was at Grif's Redneck 'Renchin Ranch for a tech session.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 5:48 pm

CQlight install

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor
This past weekend I installed a low beam HID from CQlight, Inc.
THanks.
I ordered some also, but they haven't arrived yet. What color temp did you get? Personally I like the bluish look!

Also, Could you give a rundown on how you did the installation?
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 9:26 pm Thread Starter

Wink

I removed upper left and right faring panels, the nose, windshield and glareshield. Check the HOW for specific step-by-step. The speedometer is a little bit tricky removing from the bike due to the 17 bulbs and all the wires and the tight manuvering. I taped the front of my speedometer with masking tape prior to removal to guard against scratches. Be sure and make an accurate key of which wires go on which terminals and which bulbs go in which holes. You may think the back of the speedo is marked well enough from the factory for re-assembly, but don't assume that.

David, you guessed it, I missed the most basic understanding of the jumpers for JB and JC. I jumpered JB to JC at both ends, instead of jumpering JB to JB and JC to JC? Duhhh. So, guess I'm the first to discove how to have a 20% optimistic speedometer on the LT.

You can bet I'll be much faster taking the thing apart the second time. Oh well, I've learned much more from my mistakes than my successes.
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:20 pm

Glad I was some help! I did a lot of work trying to understand the speedometer better, and spent quite a bit of time with DIP switches attached to all the jumper locations. Fortunately Don Arthur had a spare speedo unit that I could bench up and do all the testing in the comfort of my "office".

I had a signal generator supplying the signal, Oscilloscope watching everything, and a freq. meter monitoring the input. I spreadsheeted the frequencies and what every jumper, and many combinations did. I was trying to find a way to calibrate the ODO, to no avail. I have since thought of another possibility, and looked at my spread sheet to confirm my suspicions, but no longer have the speedo. I sent it back to Don.

I was guessing that just possibly you had jumpered the incorrect solder pads. Small little devils, aren't they!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 7:30 am Thread Starter

Smile

They are small little devils. Guess I'm getting old, but I had to go to Radio Shack and buy a magnifying glass to even see the little buggers. Come to think of it, the last time I did any real soldering was 25 years ago.

I'll have to say, I look forward to riding in the dark now with the HID lighting. Well gotta go, bike is calling. Thanks again Dave.
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 7:46 pm

I did the speedo mod on my 2004 model, which should have the same unit as your 2002. It works fine. There was a picture of the later speedo design on the older site. In any event, the pins have the same labels.

When you reassemble the unit, don't forget to put the clock setting pins back in. Don't ask me how I know...

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in