Good deal on HID lighting... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Nov 7th, 2005, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

Good deal on HID lighting...

This Company sells a HID for bikes individually now, no need to find someone to split the auto kit with. The gentlemen I spoke with said he has all colors.

http://www.cqlight.ca/catalog/produc...products_id=75

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Nov 7th, 2005, 8:38 pm

how "plug and play" is this unit for the k1200lt?

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #3 of 41 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 2:05 pm

Question Just one Thing

Did you get one?, If so is it what you expected? Does it light up better than the stock light, Is the distance better?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Renzo

post #4 of 41 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 6:03 pm

HID beats standard lighting anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo
Did you get one?, If so is it what you expected? Does it light up better than the stock light, Is the distance better?
HID lighting provide more and clearer lighting than standard lighting. Using any of the aftermarket standard light bulbs may make you light whiter/bluer, but it does not help with distance.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 41 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 9:08 pm

Question HID kit split

What a cooindince! I emailed the same guy (from ebay) yesterday with an almost identical question. The response I received today stated he has all standard color temps and sizes too. Look ligit to me, but... has anyone tried one of these or similiar kits.

Is a relay necessary for this or any kit? I have a 2003 and it seems that I see a lot of post about relays failing, so it really makes me wonder.
post #6 of 41 Old Nov 9th, 2005, 9:38 pm

Relays are not necessary, but if installed correctly and in a decently protected area should not fail. I did not use relays for either my HID low beam nor my HID driving lights. Never had a problem. I would do the same again if get another bike.

Relays are often good to place near halogen headlights, with large guage wire leading to the relay in order to insure you are getting full voltage to the bulb. Normal Halogen bulbs loose considerable percentage of light output with a small percentage of voltage drop in wiring. HIDs however do not suffer so much, because the ballast is producing a high voltage AC to keep an arc going, the arc does not loose much output at all when the supply voltage to the ballast drops a little.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 41 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 4:23 pm

HID Group Buy.

Putting together a Group buy, I have talked to the sales team at CQLight,
They would be willing to sell a min of 10 units at $100.00 Each.
Is anyone interested? http://www.cqlight.ca/

Renzo
post #8 of 41 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 5:53 pm

I"m interested....but depends on which "range" you want to get. I was thinking about the 6000 range....

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #9 of 41 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 6:00 pm

I don't understand the difference with the h4 versus the h7. I have a 2005 k1200lt if it makes any difference....so which is right for my bike?

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #10 of 41 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 6:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Glenn,

If you want light output to help you see forward, then stick with the lowest K temp possible. The 5000K will give more useable, whiter light than the 6000K, and the 4200K will be better than that. Contrary to the marketing hype, higher K numbers don't give more light, they just shift it more towards the blue/purple spectrum, and away from the whiter, more useable light of the lower K bulbs.

If you want cool purple lights for that slammin' street rod look (and the undue attention it garners from the cops and other motorists), then go with the higher K bulbs.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 41 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 6:00 pm

Thumbs up

I'm interested but I would like a 4200-5000k unit.
post #12 of 41 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 6:06 pm

Smile group buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderup1
I"m interested....but depends on which "range" you want to get. I was thinking about the 6000 range....
Same here. I would bet that we could get any color combos we need.

Count me in too (6000K)
post #13 of 41 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 6:07 pm

H4 bulb configuration is not used on the LT.

For all LT low beams you need H7

For LT high beam before 2005, you need H3. For 2005 you need H9 or H11 (H9 is a higher wattage variant of H11 in Halogen, but in HID it makes no difference, as they are all 35 watt).

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #14 of 41 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

David

If I go with a H7 low beam 4200 to 5000 range, what range would I use for the H3 high beam? also, are all H3 bulbs "Plug and Play like an H7"? These will be going on an 03.

TIA

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #15 of 41 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 7:39 pm

Someone who has put an H3 HID in an LT will have to answer about the fit into the BMW holder. I have not tried it.

Get the same temp range for both bulbs. Don't want one white and the other blue.

I would want 4000-5000K range, depending on availability, nearer 4000 preferably for me if available, nothing higher than 5000 though.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #16 of 41 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 7:54 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

You will need to modify the bulb holder. The key is to get the right depth with the H3 retrofit inside the headlight bucket.

The www.hid-online.com H3 kit for the LT comes with an adapter to make sure the bulb is at the right depth.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #17 of 41 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 8:49 pm

Unhappy Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler
Count me in too (6000K)
Correction - Make that 5000K
post #18 of 41 Old Nov 12th, 2005, 8:21 pm

Post HID Group Buy

To all interested in HID group Buy From CQlight Inc.
After talking to the sales team leader Sheng, he would charge us 115.00 per light and will ship to your very own location. you can choose the type and color of the light.
Sheng would like me to gather all information, a minimum of ten orders need to be filled before he will ship.
So please, if your interested
I will gather the orders, make sure you have the following infos,

1. Name
2. Tel No.
3. Email address
4. Type Of bulb and color temperature
5. Payment method preferred. (Pay Pal or CC) Dont give me any numbers he will e-mail you the order form.
Send Info to
[email protected]
I will keep everyone informed on how many orders we have.
Larry

Renzo
post #19 of 41 Old Nov 12th, 2005, 11:11 pm

[QUOTE=Renzo]To all interested in HID group Buy From CQlight Inc.
After talking to the sales team leader Sheng, he would charge us 115.00 per light and will ship to your very own location.

This is the info listed on the site:
H7 5000K Motorcycle HID Kit $110.99 Buy Now
Does the $115 include shipping or am I missing something as to the deal he is giving the group?

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #20 of 41 Old Nov 13th, 2005, 9:36 am

Yes includes shipping, "he would charge us 115.00 per light and will ship to your very own location"
Not to one location.

Renzo
post #21 of 41 Old Nov 13th, 2005, 9:40 am

Best I could do, its only saving you 13.99
Not much, however were not talking a lot to begin.

Renzo
post #22 of 41 Old Nov 17th, 2005, 7:27 am

Thanks Meese.....so back to the original question....just how "plug and play" is this unit, and for a 2005 K1200LT whats my original bulb I'm relplacing....a h4, h7, or h9 or what?

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #23 of 41 Old Nov 17th, 2005, 8:39 am

Hid

The respond for a group buy was not there, I am going to order direct from the company. CQlight

http://www.cqlight.ca

Just a question what color are you guys getting?

Larry

Ask this question to LOVETOMOTOR his respond From LOVETOMOTOR

I purchased the 5000K kit from CQlight Inc. http://www.cqlight.ca/catalog/produ...&products_id=69

Very high quality product. I would recommend to anyone thinking of purchasing HID. They do not sell a motorcycle kit in the 4300K range which is what you might consider the standard bright white color. The 5000K has a bit of a blue tint but it's awesome. I have running lights mounted just below the tip over wings (standard H3 halogens) and you can tell the color difference between the HID and the H3s. The more I ride with the HID the better I like the slight blue tint. If you want to stick with a standard color however you'll have to purchase from another supplier to get the 4300K color.

You'll like the HID mod.

Renzo
post #24 of 41 Old Nov 17th, 2005, 9:20 am

I highly advise getting 42-4300K if available, if not then get 5000K. Do NOT go for the faddish "blue" light of 6000K and above, actually LESS useable light, and more chance of getting noticed by a LEO.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #25 of 41 Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:55 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I don't know about this kit, as I installed an old stick HID many years back. The picture looks like it has a plug that would fit into the wiring harness that plugs onto your original bulb, so it should be straight forward. Note that the LT has a dust cover over the low beam bulb, so you will have to trim some plastic to get the wires to fit through.

Ask lovetomotor, as he's just completed an install of this exact HID kit.

As for bulb type, David's response above states: For all LT low beams you need H7. For 2005 high beam you need H9 (or H11 which has the same shape and socket).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #26 of 41 Old Nov 19th, 2005, 4:19 pm

I want in on the group HID purchase.
post #27 of 41 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:21 am

Has anyone tried them yet?

Since it seems that the group buy fell through, did anyone purchase one and what kind of a difference did it make.

I am extremely interested in getting one for my low beam, but with the group savings of less than $14, I am waiting until someone else installs one and gives good feedback.

Maybe there are others like me, in that regard. Maybe the best way to handle the group buy, is to let someone try it out, and if the product is successful, then make the group buy and kick a few bucks back the the tester as well.

Regards,
Larry

'99 K1200LT

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
post #28 of 41 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Cow
I am extremely interested in getting one for my low beam, but with the group savings of less than $14, I am waiting until someone else installs one and gives good feedback.
There is no doubt, HID works very well, but I agree with you, I'm wanting to see what feedback comes from the product as sold by that Internet site. When HID-online.com is selling theirs for 3 times as much, I'm real cautious about what seems to be such a good deal.

Tom Haycraft
Round Rock, TX

2001 K1200LT - Champagne (2004 - 2010 / R.I.P.)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue (2010 - )
post #29 of 41 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

I got mine today and will be doing the install next week. The parts all look high quality with clean connectors, wire and ballast/igniter. I will post when complete. I am happy with what I have recieved and at this point I am ordering a set for my car.I have been emailing with another on the board that got his and said it is a straight forward installation.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #30 of 41 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 5:13 pm

airborneod....thanks for being the guinea pig! I'm not worried about the extra $15.....I just wanted to make sure it was an easy to install and quality unit. Looking forward to your future postings.... Glenn

05 Graphite K1200LT
post #31 of 41 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 7:43 am

Quote:
Putting together a Group buy, I have talked to the sales team at CQLight,
They would be willing to sell a min of 10 units at $100.00 Each.
Is anyone interested? http://www.cqlight.ca/
Did you ever do anything with the group purchase?
post #32 of 41 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks146
I'll answer in case he's not around today. We tried to get a min order but it fell through. So, I guess everyone went their own way on ordering.
I posted a quick feedback in lighting on the kits. In a nutshell, they are very worth the price and the price is very reasonable. Really makes a difference at night. As I use them more, I am getting used to the slight bluish color and have started seeing my car's lights as yellowish, pale and washed out.
post #33 of 41 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 6:26 pm

Cool Bulb life?

Just one more question, About CQ light

Everything I have read about HID lights tell me over and over that the one thing that should not be done is to turn ON the HID then shut it OFF then turn it back ON with out a cool down period. That a rapid on/off will kill the longevity of the bulb

So some HID light kits have relays/switch kits so that the HID light will not come un until the switch/relay senses that the engine has started.

Otherwise you turn the key the HID lights up.. you crank the engine the HID goes outů the engine starts the HID comes back onů.Not good for the bulb.

What are you ideas about this and how it relates to the longevity of the Bulb?

Renzo
post #34 of 41 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 6:29 pm

Post we can try again, when we are ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks146
We can try again when more of us are ready....... Just let me know. but for now we did not have enough that were ready.

Renzo
post #35 of 41 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:01 pm

Quote:
Just one more question, About CQ light

Everything I have read about HID lights tell me over and over that the one thing that should not be done is to turn ON the HID then shut it OFF then turn it back ON with out a cool down period. That a rapid on/off will kill the longevity of the bulb

So some HID light kits have relays/switch kits so that the HID light will not come un until the switch/relay senses that the engine has started.

Otherwise you turn the key the HID lights up.. you crank the engine the HID goes outů the engine starts the HID comes back onů.Not good for the bulb.

What are you ideas about this and how it relates to the longevity of the Bulb?
I had never heard that about HID bulbs. In fact these bulbs draw less power, burn cooler and are not filament bulb, they are excited gas bulbs. I have auxillary HID's that I have linked to my highbeams and I turn them on and off frequently. I would be interested in a link telling me not to do this.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #36 of 41 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:09 pm

I read a lot about HID in the time I was thinking about switching, and never read that either. I don't think it is a real worry. The ballast takes care of the high voltage initiation of the arc, and the switch to the run voltage when the arc stabilizes, so should automatically switch earlier or later as required due to the capsule temperature. I did have one bulb fail fairly early but the replacement one lasted a LONG time, and I was riding every day.

Having a relay to keep everything off until the alternator starts up though is not a bad idea anyway, and has been done on an LT. I think that is what Buck Wilmerding did, using a small relay on the charge light circuit to engage a larger one when the alternator started charging.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #37 of 41 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:30 pm

I had a MINI cooper 2003 with HID light system , one of the warning in the manual was not to turn your light on and off repeatedly, could cause failure of the HID Bulb, I understand that there is no filament in an HID light.

the HID lamp is turned on - allow 5 minutes warm up time before turning off. http://www.omsdive.com/hid10-man-p4.html

This might be helpful also. see above
Larry

Renzo

Last edited by Renzo; Nov 28th, 2005 at 11:13 pm.
post #38 of 41 Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:11 pm

Lightbulb

Also,

http://www.jwspeaker.com/store/hid_x...nformation.htm

JW speaker makes HID system, they also agree with the on off so much that when they made the HID system for the HD Roadking they included a system of PCB/Relays that not only keep the light from turning on when the key is turned on, but after the engine is running the HID systm stays on even if your engine dies out. this will stay on till the key is turned off to reset the moduel.
Just some more to think about,
To bad JW speaker doesnt make a unit for our LT's.
I have their HID system on my RK and it was built very nice, price a bit high but bulit very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0337.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	969   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0336.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	970   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0335.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	971   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0302.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	972   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0301.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	973  

Renzo

Last edited by Renzo; Nov 28th, 2005 at 11:22 pm.
post #39 of 41 Old Nov 30th, 2005, 8:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwagner
I had never heard that about HID bulbs. In fact these bulbs draw less power, burn cooler and are not filament bulb, they are excited gas bulbs. I have auxillary HID's that I have linked to my highbeams and I turn them on and off frequently. I would be interested in a link telling me not to do this.
read on , your request.

Renzo
post #40 of 41 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:44 am

H7 and H9

It looks like the 05/K1200LT uses an H7 for the low beam and an H9 for the high beam? If this is correct I don't see any HID kits for the high beam as they only seem to sell H7. Anyone dealt with this?

BushWacker

www.geocities.com/wackybush
"Let's ride we're burnin daylight"
post #41 of 41 Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:53 am
Senior Member (ret.)

www.hid-online.com sells the H9. Both kits can be had for around $460 delivered.

The H9 and H11 bases are similer so either will fit for high beam. So an H11 high beam will also work (in response to your other post in the CQlight thread.)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Dec 1st, 2005 at 1:01 am. Reason: additional info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in