CQ HID High Beam installs.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 4:58 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

CQ HID High Beam installs....

Howdy Gang,

Installed the CQ HID kit on the '05 GS, both the low and high beam.

There are no "faults" and the lights are performing beautifully......however.....the instrument display goes blank for a few seconds while the lights ignite. For the low beam, it isn't that noticeable because of the bikes normal starting sequence.

When I switch on the HID high beam the display goes blank for about 3 seconds. It is somewhat annoying and I would to eliminate it, but I am more concerned about potential damage to the instrument display. So for now I'm not using the high beam.

Anyone have an insight as to why the high beam headlight would have an effect on the display? Perhaps how to eliminate the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Hi Bill:

I'm curious why it would do that on the high beam. On the low beam, I can understand due to the fact that there is a load shed relay when you hit the starter.

On the high beam, I can only think of the 10 amp draw on the high beam HID at initial firing that may be tripping the instrument cluster. Since no relays on the HIDs, that could be the problem.

I'm sure someone with much higher electrical knowledge can chime in.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 6:51 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Thanks Raffy,

I tried getting the RPM's up pretty high and trying it again hoping that it was a low power supply causing it, but it continued to "blank" the display.

Bill "Omaha"

CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Hey Billy, IIRC, I read that someone on the K-bikes Forum was having the same problem, only with the low HID. He had the HID wiring and/or electrics too close to the instrument cluster. When said electrical stuff was moved away, the problem not only ceased, but desisted.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 8:00 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Hey Billy, IIRC, I read that someone on the K-bikes Forum was having the same problem, only with the low HID. He had the HID wiring and/or electrics too close to the instrument cluster. When said electrical stuff was moved away, the problem not only ceased, but desisted.
That could be it, Grif. I've got all of the "stuff", two ballasts and two igniters crammed up on top of the light housing behind the instrument cluster.

Wonder if I could put a shield between the components and the cluster Sure is a nice place to store that stuff...'cuz on a GS space is a valuable commodity.

Bill "Omaha"

post #6 of 8 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 8:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Wonder if I could put a shield between the components and the cluster .
A nice layer of unobtanium? Or, mayhaps Scotty could turn loose of some used dilenthium crystals.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:36 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
A nice layer of unobtanium? Or, mayhaps Scotty could turn loose of some used dilenthium crystals.
Actually Grif, I was thinking of "obtanium", like aluminim foil, perhap a small piece of sheet metal

Bill "Omaha"

post #8 of 8 Old Mar 7th, 2007, 1:14 am

Maybe you should try some upsedaisium (sp?), then the bike would be lighter & get better mileage too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in