Motolight musing? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 7:59 pm Thread Starter

Motolight musing?

Hi y'all - gotta question for ya. On my run last week from KS to Boerne, I noticed one of my fork-mounted Motolights wuz toast. Worried that I might be riding into the Hill Country after dark, I dropped in to a Home Depot on the road and picked up a 35W, 15degree 'spot' beam replacement fixture. Wuzn't 'til I pulled the two-pin toasted fixture that I saw the new one had a lens over the fixture, whereas the old one didn't. And THEN, I noticed that I had picked up a halogen fixture!!! Those halogen thangs generate a lotta heat, and the Motolight unit niche has a glass lens up front - am I gonna singe or fry some wiring with this thang?

I did break the seal on the container, and since I realized all this stuff after dis-assembly, I went ahead and installed the new fixture and buttoned back up the unit - turned it on for a coupla seconds just to check that it functioned. It did, butt wuzn't on long enough to generate any heat. Luckily, I made it home before the sun went down, so didn't need to fire up the Motolights.

So - long story to ax: should I toss the halogen and then contact Tina for a replacement bulb. Or ??? Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 8:01 pm

Dick,
The really good news is that Tina will send you FREE bulbs to replace your toasted one.
Tell her Coni said so.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

Hi, Coni - yeppir, I know. BTDT coupla times over the 5 or 6 years I've had 'em. Tina and her crew gives great customer service. I just needed somethang sooner while on the road.

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 9:03 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Wuzn't 'til I pulled the two-pin toasted fixture that I saw the new one had a lens over the fixture, whereas the old one didn't. And THEN, I noticed that I had picked up a halogen fixture!!! Those halogen thangs generate a lotta heat, and the Motolight unit niche has a glass lens up front - am I gonna singe or fry some wiring with this thang?
Well Dick, I have some more good news for you. The MR-16 bulbs in MotoLights are Halogen - in fact I have never seen an MR-16 that wasn't (other than the new LED array replacements). Also the little lens over the lamp you got from the hardware store is a UV filter, required for indoor lighting because of the higher amount of UV from halogen bulbs. Many new MR-16 bulbs come with the filter built in. Older indoor fixtures had a separate UV filter.

So use it without worry other than the 15-degree beam spread being a lot broader than the 8-degree bulbs from MotoLight.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old Oct 24th, 2005, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Dang - am I livin' right or what?!!! Thanks, Randy - that IS good newz.

While I wuz futzing over the units, I decided to install the new fixture on the right hand side of the bike (the toasted unit wuz the left sider), thinking I'd have a leetle more beam spread over there for lighting up the road shoulder. Haven't ridden after dark yet, butt am looking forward to seeing what I'll see.

Thanks again, Randy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in