02' LT Light Suggestion - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By St0rm1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Apr 25th, 2016, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Garage
02' LT Light Suggestion

I'm looking at increasing my lighting on the front. I've read through many of the threads and they're helpful but also kind of confusing. I now know that I don't know as much as I should know, but at least I know that.

What I'd like to do is convert my low beam to LED and add a set of flood lights to the brake calipers and a set of spots under the headlight. My idea is to wire the floods to assist the low beam and the spots to assist the high beams. I plan to wire them with relays and either make the mounting brackets or purchase them if they are cheap enough or beyond my limited tooling.
I need to do this economically considering I have several other additions to purchase/build as well as some maintenance to perform. Keeping that in mind, my questions are:

1: Does this make sense or should I only add spots or flood?

2: What are the specifications I should look for as I evaluate headlamps, and auxiliary lights?

3: What is the recommended LED replacement for the low beam?

4: What are some decent spot and flood lights?

I've read about staying away from the fan type LED lamps but I don't know the specifications to find a replacement lamp.

Cree seems to be an inexpensive option for lighting but again I don't know what specifications to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Apr 25th, 2016, 10:55 am

Re: 02' LT Light Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rm1 View Post
I'm looking at increasing my lighting on the front. I've read through many of the threads and they're helpful but also kind of confusing. I now know that I don't know as much as I should know, but at least I know that.

What I'd like to do is convert my low beam to LED and add a set of flood lights to the brake calipers and a set of spots under the headlight. My idea is to wire the floods to assist the low beam and the spots to assist the high beams. I plan to wire them with relays and either make the mounting brackets or purchase them if they are cheap enough or beyond my limited tooling.
I need to do this economically considering I have several other additions to purchase/build as well as some maintenance to perform. Keeping that in mind, my questions are:

1: Does this make sense or should I only add spots or flood?

2: What are the specifications I should look for as I evaluate headlamps, and auxiliary lights?

3: What is the recommended LED replacement for the low beam?

4: What are some decent spot and flood lights?

I've read about staying away from the fan type LED lamps but I don't know the specifications to find a replacement lamp.

Cree seems to be an inexpensive option for lighting but again I don't know what specifications to look for.
Adding the floods on the calipers should not be that difficult however, there is very limited space under the headlight and depending on the size of the lights, they may interfere with the forks under certain circumstances so be very careful if you go with lights in that position.

There is no recommended LED per say but both Phillips and Cree make H7 LED bulbs that will fit with the copper band heat sink. I am using the phillips.

http://www.amazon.com/PartsSquare-LE...ilpage_o03_s00

It is a package of two so you get a spare. I gave my spare to another LT owner.

Be careful of the lower cost spots and floods on Amazon and Ebay as many have the same functions as the LED flash lights with a dim, bright and flashing setting based on turning them on and off to switch between modes. I wanted mine to come on with the AUX power and off when the bike was shut down with no intermediate switch so those were unsuitable for my purposes and likely yours. I added the lights below under my bumpers with a custom made mounting plate. Nothing fancy but did the trick. These with the supplied bracket would probably extend too far down for under the headlight so you would have to make something that would tuck them in high and tight so hot to interfere with the fork movement in all situations.

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-OZ-USA-...ilpage_o08_s00

As for the high beam, there is no LED solution I have found yet that will fit in the hole so I went with an HID but that is still not all to my liking yet. I think I need to play with it for bulb positioning to get a better focus as it seems to mostly be pointing very high.

DON'T just try and put a high wattage bulb in the H3 High beam as the wires are not large enough to handle the added current. They will melt and short things out.

There was a PIAA kit for the LT with mounts for under the headlight but they are pricy if you can still get them. They were specifically designed by a forum member to work with the small PIAA lights and not hit anything. You might try making some brackets that mount and extend out from under the mirrors where size would not be such an issue.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Apr 25th, 2016, 12:22 pm

I have an 02 LT and I replaced my OEM light with HID from Xenon Technology. Problem solved.

post #4 of 16 Old Apr 25th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtevritks View Post
I have an 02 LT and I replaced my OEM light with HID from Xenon Technology. Problem solved.
Agreed, if that was the only motivation was to fix the somewhat inadequate original headlight on the LT. A HID or LED replacement does do that. I also wanted a larger front facing light array with multiple light points to increase overall visibility. Just took it a step farther.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Apr 25th, 2016, 1:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Adding the floods on the calipers should not be that difficult however, there is very limited space under the headlight and depending on the size of the lights, they may interfere with the forks under certain circumstances so be very careful if you go with lights in that position.

There is no recommended LED per say but both Phillips and Cree make H7 LED bulbs that will fit with the copper band heat sink. I am using the phillips.

Amazon.com: PartsSquare LED Headlight Conversion Kit - High Power Philips Luxeon LED - 5000 Lumen - Copper Belt Heatsink - H7: Automotive

It is a package of two so you get a spare. I gave my spare to another LT owner.

Be careful of the lower cost spots and floods on Amazon and Ebay as many have the same functions as the LED flash lights with a dim, bright and flashing setting based on turning them on and off to switch between modes. I wanted mine to come on with the AUX power and off when the bike was shut down with no intermediate switch so those were unsuitable for my purposes and likely yours. I added the lights below under my bumpers with a custom made mounting plate. Nothing fancy but did the trick. These with the supplied bracket would probably extend too far down for under the headlight so you would have to make something that would tuck them in high and tight so hot to interfere with the fork movement in all situations.

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-OZ-USA-...ilpage_o08_s00

As for the high beam, there is no LED solution I have found yet that will fit in the hole so I went with an HID but that is still not all to my liking yet. I think I need to play with it for bulb positioning to get a better focus as it seems to mostly be pointing very high.

DON'T just try and put a high wattage bulb in the H3 High beam as the wires are not large enough to handle the added current. They will melt and short things out.

There was a PIAA kit for the LT with mounts for under the headlight but they are pricy if you can still get them. They were specifically designed by a forum member to work with the small PIAA lights and not hit anything. You might try making some brackets that mount and extend out from under the mirrors where size would not be such an issue.
Thank you, for the clarity. I had read your posts on the conversion to LED which is what prompted my direction on that. Is there a difference between the ones advertised as motorcycle versus car lights?

I thought the limited space under the headlight might be an issue so I may mount them under the side bumpers as well. If I add J pegs or the like how would the lights affect the installation?

I was looking at the Amazon/eBay lights you described and saw they had that function. I ran across a video of a gentlemen removing a chip from the lights circuit board that seems to solve that issue. I'm not sure I'd do it like he did but the result would be the same.

I believe I saw the diagram of the bracket your talking about. If I find it again I imagine I can use it for a base pattern for what I need. It looks like the bumper mount may be the best option. I haven't had the plastics off yet to determine how hard it would be to beef up the wiring for the headlight circuit. I suppose that could be an option to use a higher wattage H3 bulb.
Tricky_dickey likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old Apr 25th, 2016, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Thank you, for the clarity. I had read your posts on the conversion to LED which is what prompted my direction on that. Is there a difference between the ones advertised as motorcycle versus car lights?

I thought the limited space under the headlight might be an issue so I may mount them under the side bumpers as well. If I add J pegs or the like how would the lights affect the installation?

I was looking at the Amazon/eBay lights you described and saw they had that function. I ran across a video of a gentlemen removing a chip from the lights circuit board that seems to solve that issue. I'm not sure I'd do it like he did but the result would be the same.
https://youtu.be/I59yW9o2Cys

I believe I saw the diagram of the bracket your talking about. If I find it again I imagine I can use it for a base pattern for what I need. It looks like the bumper mount may be the best option. I haven't had the plastics off yet to determine how hard it would be to beef up the wiring for the headlight circuit. I suppose that could be an option to use a higher wattage H3 bulb.
I ordered a set of the 3way before I read the fine print so I have some to play with and have thought of modifying them.

The trick with placing lights under or over the bumpers is getting them tucked in tight enough so they don't get damaged if the old girl takes a nap. Mine are NAP tested Not sure how HW pegs would fit with under or over bumper lights. I have seen 2 styles of LT pegs and one was on the bumper itself and the other was mounted somewhere else and was under the bumper.

Honestly, I did order a 100W H3 and put it in before I was told it would melt the wires and against the LED bulb, even that was not very helpful as a high beam. It wasn't very visible or very different from the 55W. I may have been getting some voltage drop from the wires though limiting its brightness.

Accessing the wires for the high beam requires taking the back off the headlight so unless you cut into the bundle outside the light, you will have to have holes for wires to come out to connect to a relay for larger wires. I haven't had my front cover off the bike for a detailed look at what is up there either so it might be easier than I think or maybe not. I cut a hole in the back cover as I think most do for adding HID to either low and or high beams.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 16 Old Apr 25th, 2016, 3:45 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I plan on doing some basic maintenance to the bike and adding a few power points. If I end up pulling the front apart I'll have to look at it myself.

Now where do I go to start a coolant thread.....
post #8 of 16 Old Apr 25th, 2016, 3:54 pm

Quote:
I plan on doing some basic maintenance to the bike and adding a few power points. If I end up pulling the front apart I'll have to look at it myself.

Now where do I go to start a coolant thread.....
Forums > BMW Bikes > K1200LT

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 16 Old Apr 27th, 2016, 3:40 pm

Quote:

After watching that video and another about soldering the two pins on the U2 chip, I opted to solder the pins. One worked great and the other had a slow flash to it or a blip where it would flicker off about every second but not like the strobe. I figured I had nothing to lose so I popped off the U2 chip and now it is 100% bright and no flicker.

More lights for somewhere on the LT

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #10 of 16 Old Apr 27th, 2016, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

After watching that video and another about soldering the two pins on the U2 chip, I opted to solder the pins. One worked great and the other had a slow flash to it or a blip where it would flicker off about every second but not like the strobe. I figured I had nothing to lose so I popped off the U2 chip and now it is 100% bright and no flicker.

More lights for somewhere on the LT
Good to know it worked. I'm thinking of grabbing the lights you had linked to assist the high beam, the LED for the low and a set of these to assist the low. https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/231715314762

I'm also considering a 55W HID Xenon Headlight HID KIT Bulbs H3 6000K for the high beam. I don't use it often so I don't think the lag should be an issue considering the additional lights I'll have installed.

I know I'll need to run a relayed feed for the added auxiliary lights and most do for the HID upgrade. I wonder if I run a single set of 12 guage wires from the battery to the front and then tie everything into a fuse block at that point. Without seeing the specs I'd think that should be heavy enough to handle the amp draw.
post #11 of 16 Old Apr 27th, 2016, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Good to know it worked. I'm thinking of grabbing the lights you had linked to assist the high beam, the LED for the low and a set of these to assist the low. https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/231715314762

I'm also considering a 55W HID Xenon Headlight HID KIT Bulbs H3 6000K for the high beam. I don't use it often so I don't think the lag should be an issue considering the additional lights I'll have installed.

I know I'll need to run a relayed feed for the added auxiliary lights and most do for the HID upgrade. I wonder if I run a single set of 12 gauge wires from the battery to the front and then tie everything into a fuse block at that point. Without seeing the specs I'd think that should be heavy enough to handle the amp draw.
12 gauge stranded should be good up to 16A easily. I would put a 15A fuse inline and you should not have any issue just running lights. HID we will say 6A for argument sake even though the start up surge is higher. That leaves plenty for LED bulbs and they will be much less, probably in the 2A or less for the 10W to 20W varieties. If you blow a fuse for the HID surge with the other LED lights, you can go higher on the fuse if necessary. Trying to not be really specific because people sometimes try and invoke Ohms Law on general speak

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #12 of 16 Old Apr 28th, 2016, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
12 gauge stranded should be good up to 16A easily. I would put a 15A fuse inline and you should not have any issue just running lights. HID we will say 6A for argument sake even though the start up surge is higher. That leaves plenty for LED bulbs and they will be much less, probably in the 2A or less for the 10W to 20W varieties. If you blow a fuse for the HID surge with the other LED lights, you can go higher on the fuse if necessary. Trying to not be really specific because people sometimes try and invoke Ohms Law on general speak
That was my thought as well. Two sets of LED and one HID shouldn't overtax the 12 gauge. I don't recall right now but the low beam should be fine on the existing wiring. Or did you put it on new Feed wire?
post #13 of 16 Old Apr 28th, 2016, 9:18 am

Quote:
That was my thought as well. Two sets of LED and one HID shouldn't overtax the 12 gauge. I don't recall right now but the low beam should be fine on the existing wiring. Or did you put it on new Feed wire?
I used the existing wiring on the low beam H7 LED as the LED uses less power than the Halogen did so no worries there.

These LED bulbs work well with the LT headlight as the high beam reflector is in the middle and in front of the LB bulb. Any dead spots from the emitters not shining a full 360 degrees would be blocked by the HB reflector anyways. I had really good results with my H7. It was then that the 55W High beam was totally inadequate by comparison.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #14 of 16 Old Apr 28th, 2016, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
I used the existing wiring on the low beam H7 LED as the LED uses less power than the Halogen did so no worries there.

These LED bulbs work well with the LT headlight as the high beam reflector is in the middle and in front of the LB bulb. Any dead spots from the emitters not shining a full 360 degrees would be blocked by the HB reflector anyways. I had really good results with my H7. It was then that the 55W High beam was totally inadequate by comparison.
Excellent to know, makes wiring a little easier. It looks like I might need to enlist some locals for a tech day to help replace brake lines, replace brake pads, add the new lighting and two USB charging ports. Considering I've never done more then checked the brake pads it will be an experience.
post #15 of 16 Old Apr 28th, 2016, 10:46 am

Quote:
Excellent to know, makes wiring a little easier. It looks like I might need to enlist some locals for a tech day to help replace brake lines, replace brake pads, add the new lighting and two USB charging ports. Considering I've never done more then checked the brake pads it will be an experience.
I am a little too far to offer assistance so I hope you can find someone closer willing to lend a hand.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #16 of 16 Old Oct 21st, 2016, 8:02 am

If yu still want to add lights under the headlight area, I still have some brackets that will mount in that area. Made for the PIAA 1100x's, but other lights will mount, as long as they are not larger than the PIAA's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in