HID kit by Wideview - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 9:46 am Thread Starter

HID kit by Wideview

I am looking at an HID kit by Wideview. It is a Korean company and the bulbs are made by GE. The ballasts are claimed to be waterproof.

I can get a complete H7 4200k auto kit for $199 (I am planning on splitting this with somebody).

Is there any reason I should steer clear of this kit and pay the premium for the Phillips based kit? Here is some info about the kit:

http://www.advantagewholesaler.com/wihidcokit42.html

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:33 am

No reason not to get it. Korea makes some good electronics, and quality is quite high with most of their manufacturers. The company I work for has manufacturing there, and I have been there on business visiting other manufacturers a few times.

Besides, with the price, even if it does not last quite as long as Hella or Philips, you can replace it easily and still not have spent as much.

If really worried about longevity ( I would not be) just buy the kit and keep the other half for replacement parts.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:48 am
RMW

Only thing that comes to mind is that the HID-OnLine kit is plug and play. You may have to do a fair amount of fussing with connectors to get the auto kit modified to the LT connectors and installed.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW
Only thing that comes to mind is that the HID-OnLine kit is plug and play. You may have to do a fair amount of fussing with connectors to get the auto kit modified to the LT connectors and installed.
Couldn't I just add a relay and then tap into the headlight wire for ignition power? I would then leave the old connector as a backup if my bulb ever went out on a trip?

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick
I am looking at an HID kit by Wideview. It is a Korean company and the bulbs are made by GE. The ballasts are claimed to be waterproof.

I can get a complete H7 4200k auto kit for $199 (I am planning on splitting this with somebody).

Is there any reason I should steer clear of this kit and pay the premium for the Phillips based kit? Here is some info about the kit:

http://www.advantagewholesaler.com/wihidcokit42.html

Thanks in advance for any advice.
xenondepot.com has a H7 4300k with Phillips bulb for $199. I should have the kit installed by tomorrow, but everything seemed to be great. The link is http://www.xenondepot.com/category.php?category_id=10
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:13 am

Wink

I should have credited Raffy K who I got the original link from. His post was in a previous thread, and I used it to buy my conversion kit. Thanks again to Raffy.

There was an HID thread just recently with the names of the vendors and their pricing. Here is Raffy's message;

The following of the top off my head:

www.xenondepot.com
www.hidonline.com
www.hid-online.com ($260)

There are others.
post #7 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishS
I should have credited Raffy K who I got the original link from. His post was in a previous thread, and I used it to buy my conversion kit. Thanks again to Raffy.

There was an HID thread just recently with the names of the vendors and their pricing. Here is Raffy's message;

The following of the top off my head:

www.xenondepot.com
www.hidonline.com
www.hid-online.com ($260)

There are others.

Thanks.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #8 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:32 am
RMW

Smile

Brian,

Yes you can certainly wire it yourself and if ,as with many, you prefer to do so you will save a few bucks. Well, not really, all you will do is redirect your spending to some other must have item for the bike.

I liked the ease of the K1200LT specific kit where everything fit perfectly and was designed for the bike without any modifiication. Take a look at how the bulb base will need to be modified, to fit correctly into the housing. I don't know much about the auto kits but if the base is in need of modification to fit correctly this might be a real pain. Additonally, the way the HID-Online kit is designed you can still switch out the factory bulb on the road should you have the need.

BTW- no affiliations etc.

No matter which kit you choose stay in the 4200kelvin range you will be much happier with the light color. Stand-by, you will have mucho light!

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #9 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:34 am

It Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick
I quess the question is the motorcycle kit worth twice as much as the Wideview kit? With the wideview kit I get two bulbs, ballasts and ignitors so it comes out to $100 apiece.

Thanks.
I guess it depends on whether you want Plug and Play with Hid-Online kit or you want to have to fuss with making all the right connections. IIRC, if the HID-Online kit fails, it's just little more than plugging in the original light bulb to have working lights at night.

YMMV

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I guess it depends on whether you want Plug and Play with Hid-Online kit or you want to have to fuss with making all the right connections. IIRC, if the HID-Online kit fails, it's just little more than plugging in the original light bulb to have working lights at night.

YMMV
I guess I was assuming that all H7 bulbs plug directly in. I have no desire to modify any plastic and will spend the extra $100 for plug and play.

If anyone has installed the Wideview please let me know about any modifications to the bulb housing.

Thanks.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:24 pm

You are getting a little bit of bum steering. I have put in automotive kits, and you are absolutely correct. H7 is H7 is H7. No modification necessary.

If you are even slightly comfortable with wiring, installing one of the automotive kits for low beam is a piece of cake. I looked at the HIDonline kits, and see nothing there that makes the job all that much easier. In any event you have to get the wiring hooked to power, and wires into the headlight housing.

For the H3 high beams on the pre '05 bikes, that is possibly another matter. BMW uses a rather strange holder for the H3 bulb, and it MAY be a little more difficult to fit a H3 HID bulb.

H9/H11 bulbs for the '05 High beam should be a plug and play fit also.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #12 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:32 pm

Glad you came along David. I'd trust you and Mark to get the straight scoop.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:20 pm

David is correct. I happened to use a specific kit but there was nothing special about it, just a few pre-crimped connectors on a cut to length piece of wire and instructions that helped a first time install. These instructions or something very close were posted here a while ago. With those in hand any kit will work for you.
post #14 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:04 pm

I have the HID convesion kit from Xenon Depot (4300) and am very happy with the results. The service was excellent and delivery very prompt. I ended up buying two motocycle kits with of course two bulbs. The M/C kits have a more weather-proof ballast and igniter, and are a bit smaller in size than the auto kits. Also, I understand the wiring is a bit longer to deal with the install problems. Steve at X/D answered my many phone calls and questions completely until I felt confident enough to buy. Am I happy with X/D? Yes, the lights are truely awesome, and I would buy from them again easily. Over and over again on this forum we hear about the effectivness of the HID lights. It's the one addition I'll never want to ride without.
Someone with more expertise should maybe jump in here with the "plug and play" discussion. With all respect, HID Online may make a wiring harness, and plugs that are assembled to fit the K more easily, (how much more I can't imagine), but they're all "plug and play" if I'm not mistaken. My set-up from XD was simple; plug it in, and play! JMOHO, d.
post #15 of 19 Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 9:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwillie
I have the HID convesion kit from Xenon Depot (4300) and am very happy with the results. The service was excellent and delivery very prompt. ----------------The M/C kits have a more weather-proof ballast and igniter, and are a bit smaller in size than the auto kits.

Looks the same as other kits which use seperate ballast and ignitor, which by the way is considerably easier to install on a bike than the older, more readily available combined units. All the Hella, Philips, McCulloch units are waterproof already. Don't know about the 'Off' brand/Chinese units. Most specs (if you can get them) will list the IP rating, which denotes the water resistance/waterproofing level.

Also, I understand the wiring is a bit longer to deal with the install problems. Steve at X/D answered my many phone calls and questions completely until I felt confident enough to buy. Am I happy with X/D? Yes, the lights are truely awesome, and I would buy from them again easily.

Anytime one is happy with a supplier's communications, delivery, etc. it is a good thing.

Over and over again on this forum we hear about the effectivness of the HID lights. It's the one addition I'll never want to ride without.

Same here!

Someone with more expertise should maybe jump in here with the "plug and play" discussion. With all respect, HID Online may make a wiring harness, and plugs that are assembled to fit the K more easily, (how much more I can't imagine), but they're all "plug and play" if I'm not mistaken.

How is the 12 volt power supplied? Is that just plug in? If so, what plug does it plug into? Is there a relay, or is it direct to supply?

My set-up from XD was simple; plug it in, and play! JMOHO, d.
Looks like a good supplier, with branded components. Price is not bad either, less than HIDOnline. However, anyone not afraid of a little bit of wiring effort can save money on half a car kit from other sources, but some of these MAY be of lesser quality. Even a low quality kit will likely far outlast any standard Halogen bulb. Heck, my first kit was high quality, but the bulb failed after about 25,000 miles. $95 to replace it. So, Name brand is no guarantee it will outlast a "cheaper" unit.

If I get another bike, I will certainly consider this supplier, but will probably buy mostly on price alone, since I am not afraid of working on the bike to any extent necessary. However, $199 for a motorcycle kit of high quality compoments is a pretty good price.

I did read their FAQs, and found one error:
XENON HID lighting systems require over 20,000 volts to ignite the bulbs. Once lit, they only require 12 volts to keep running.

HID bulbs do require the approx. 20,000 volts AC starting voltage, but drop back to around 85 volts AC when running, NOT 12 volts. The slight humming you hear when they are on is the ballast converting the 12 volts DC to the required AC voltage.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #16 of 19 Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 11:10 am

Question

Where did you find the kit for $199? Their web site gives the kit a price of $289.99?
post #17 of 19 Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdoc
Where did you find the kit for $199? Their web site gives the kit a price of $289.99?
Microdoc:

Found it on Ebay. There are all kinds of deals there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

A buddy of mine may want the other half. If you are interested send me a PM and it is yours if he doesn't want it.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #18 of 19 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Both lights have been installed on '05 LTs. The kit is completely plug and play with no wiring required. The spade connectors on the kit plug directly into the stock connector.

The ballast and ignitor are combined making install very easy. I recommend drilling a 1" hole and you are good to go. The rubber grommet is very nice.

We did not use relays. I had to put a 10 amp fuse in my fuse block because I blew the 7.5 but this is common when switching to HID. The other bike has not blown the 7.5 yet.

I highly recommend this kit.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #19 of 19 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 9:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

David, The H9 and H11 Piaa lamps look the same at a quick glance. The internal tabs are different. You may be able to grind the longer tab down to fit. I have contacted Piaa but haven't received an answer as yet. They said before I bought them that they felt it was the same and to let them know how the H11 worked out. The H11's come two in a set so I might have two bulbs for no good use. kippa, 05KLT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in