Headlight Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Headlight Help

I am in the process of hooking up HID low and think I have Blown the fuse and I can not find the low beam fuse
Please HELP

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 6:56 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

What year bike? The pre-2005 bikes do not have a fuse. So, either you have a bad relay, bad fuse from the relay to the battery (if your harness has it) or bad connections.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 6:57 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
What year bike? The pre-2005 bikes do not have a fuse. So, either you have a bad relay, bad fuse from the relay to the battery (if your harness has it) or bad connections.
Raffy
It is a 2000

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy

Ok so I have found that I must have broke the low beam wire going in the the headlight bucket whilst pulling the windshield motor out.
Now I cannot find where the main power feed for the low beam is as there is power coming up to the high beam. Does Anyone know where the relay for the low beam is?
All grounds are OK

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #6 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:17 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Mark N or Dave S...Help

Mark or Dave:

Can you please help? I don't see a relay for the lights in my electrical schematic book (have not translated it either). Looked at the pictures in the front of the booklet and none of the 9 relays mention headlight. Is the low beam wire connected to the load relief relay? If so, Tim said that the high beam will shut off when starting the bike. he also tested with the stock low beam bulb and the low beam lights won't come on at all. He said that the 3 wire connector at the headlight bucket is supplying power to the high beam but not to the low beam. This tells me its between the connector and electrical box?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:36 pm

g
Quote:
I don't see a relay for the lights in my electrical schematic book (have not translated it either). Looked at the pictures in the front of the booklet and none of the 9 relays mention headlight. Is the low beam wire connected to the load relief relay? If so, Tim said that the high beam will shut off when starting the bike.
Raffy, you're not missing anything --there is no headlight relay. The load relief relay is apparently working. as evidenced by the high beam going off when the starter is hit.

Quote:
he also tested with the stock low beam bulb and the low beam lights won't come on at all. He said that the 3 wire connector at the headlight bucket is supplying power to the high beam but not to the low beam. This tells me its between the connector and electrical box?
Good surmise. Obviously, the most likely places to find problems is whereever his hands have been Next step I would take is to penetrate the white/yellow stripe low beam wire with a needle to make electrical contact, then see whether there is voltage on the low beam wire upstream of the 3-wire headlight connector (one possibility is that the low beam wire have been pulled away from its pin within the connector). The test will rule in or out the low beam connector.

From there, David/I can think of next steps.

Separately, how is the HID hooked up? Tap the low beam outside the headlight housing, or inside? Cut the low beam wite/yellow stripe wire anywhere?

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #8 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:45 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

This is the McCulloch kit. No relay/wiring harness was provided with the kit.

Quote:
Separately, how is the HID hooked up? Tap the low beam outside the headlight housing, or inside? Cut the low beam wite/yellow stripe wire anywhere?
Inside the headlight to 'brown' ground and yellow positive feed. Both ground wires on the high beam holder are connected. Had Tim check those too (tell tale would have been the high beam indicator on, but I did not want to miss checking them). Had Tim also check all the connections between the HID bulb pigtail and to igniter and ballast to headlight bucket interior.

Tim: as Mark suggested, check the low beam wire 'upstream' from the connector.

Thanks Mark for the info and sanity check.

Raffy
post #9 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Well
First off THANK YOU Raffy and Mark!
I did Pinch the wire at the plug whilst pulling the windschield motor out
I have check the wire to the harness upstream from the plug and NO power
I will be pulling the nose cone off to get to the area better, Looks like a late night or Early morning
I am planning to hook into the low beam outside of the bucket once I have power coming from the lead.
Again Thanks and I will post tonight or tomorrow with results.

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #10 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:22 pm

Another Q: Did Tim have the high beam beam switch in the high position when testing the load relief relay with the starter, or did he just see it go out?

One though that has come to mind is that the low/high wires have been reversed inside the headlight housing. Tim does know that white is *high*, white/yellow stripe os *low*, correct? Not casting doubt on Tim's ability, just checking all the possibilities

FWIW, if the wires are reversed, that would explain having power on "high" (really low), while the "low" (really high) line is dead. Does power appear on the "dead" wire when the handlebar switch is switched to the other position?

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #11 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Another Q: Did Tim have the high beam beam switch in the high position when testing the load relief relay with the starter, or did he just see it go out?

One though that has come to mind is that the low/high wires have been reversed inside the headlight housing. Tim does know that white is *high*, white/yellow stripe os *low*, correct? Not casting doubt on Tim's ability, just checking all the possibilities

FWIW, if the wires are reversed, that would explain having power on "high" (really low), while the "low" (really high) line is dead. Does power appear on the "dead" wire when the handlebar switch is switched to the other position?
Mark
I have made sure that infact that is the High beam working and no power to Low
I wish it would be that.
I will know more tomorrow as I have called it a night.
Again...........................
Thank You!!

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #12 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsBMWminer
I did Pinch the wire at the plug whilst pulling the windschield motor out
I have check the wire to the harness upstream from the plug and NO power.
This is most curious -- doesn't make sense to me. Pinching the wire at the plug would not kill power in the wire upstream of the plug, just downstream (inside the headlight housing). Any chance you pulled the wire so hard that it broke back at the last zip-tie to the subframe? My next needle probe would be upstream of this zip-tie to rule out a break under the zip-tie (assuming, of course, that you've already ruled out the possibility of merely reversing the high/low wires, discussed above).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #13 of 17 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 11:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
This is most curious -- doesn't make sense to me. Pinching the wire at the plug would not kill power in the wire upstream of the plug, just downstream (inside the headlight housing). Any chance you pulled the wire so hard that it broke back at the last zip-tie to the subframe? My next needle probe would be upstream of this zip-tie to rule out a break under the zip-tie (assuming, of course, that you've already ruled out the possibility of merely reversing the high/low wires, discussed above).
Mark

Very possible
I will know in the morning as I will pull nose off to get down inside better

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #14 of 17 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Well
Here it is morning and I have traced the low beam wire back into the main harness and still have no power.
I guess next step is to pull the tank off and trace wire back to the original source

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #15 of 17 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Talking HID working in Portland WOO HOO

Well I finally got to the root of the problem, After tearing down to the electonic box I found power going into the low Beam wire.
there was a break in the harness so I ran new wire beside the harness and tied into the plug outside the bucket and .......
Now have HID WOOO HOOO
I just wanted to thank BOTH Mark and Raffy for their help with this problem.

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #16 of 17 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 9:48 pm

Very cool, Tim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsBMWminer
there was a break in the harness so I ran new wire beside the harness and tied into the plug outside the bucket
Just curious -- Where was the break??

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #17 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Very cool, Tim!

Just curious -- Where was the break??
Mark
The break was at the main frame tube between the radiators????
How that happen I DON"T HAVE A CLUE
But I have HID and wow what a diff!!

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in