Aux LED Light Wiring Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 8th, 2014, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Aux LED Light Wiring Help

Itís time for the biennial K1200LT maintenance, repair, and farkeling extravaganza and among my planned farkels is something that has me confused. I want to add some auxiliary LED lighting to the bike which itself is easy enough, but I want to do something that I donít know how to do:

1. I want them to come on with ignition but be able to turn them off with a switch if I donít want that (easy enough)
2. I would like to be able to switch them on when the bike is off, fork locked and key out of the ignition.

Now itís very likely that the solution is a whole lot easier than I think but I figured I would put it out there to smart people rather than engineer this myself. Iím good with the soldering iron and crimpers, but I really have some lack when it comes to electrical systems. If someone has a minute to sketch up a diagram or let me know how/if this can be accomplished I would appreciate it. Also since itís LED Iím assuming I wonít need a relay?

Thanks in advance.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 8th, 2014, 5:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Aux LED Light Wiring Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour View Post
It’s time for the biennial K1200LT maintenance, repair, and farkeling extravaganza and among my planned farkels is something that has me confused. I want to add some auxiliary LED lighting to the bike which itself is easy enough, but I want to do something that I don’t know how to do:

1. I want them to come on with ignition but be able to turn them off with a switch if I don’t want that (easy enough)
2. I would like to be able to switch them on when the bike is off, fork locked and key out of the ignition.

Now it’s very likely that the solution is a whole lot easier than I think but I figured I would put it out there to smart people rather than engineer this myself. I’m good with the soldering iron and crimpers, but I really have some lack when it comes to electrical systems. If someone has a minute to sketch up a diagram or let me know how/if this can be accomplished I would appreciate it. Also since it’s LED I’m assuming I won’t need a relay?

Thanks in advance.
Somewhere I have an Autoswitch which is yours for the asking. I was going to use it on my Ari acquired Motolights (illegal in Finland) but decided if I wanted them off I'd just pull the fuse. Let me look in my parts box and if you want to review the installation instructions and want the module, PM me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Autoswitch Instructions.pdf (215.3 KB, 378 views)

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 8 Old Sep 9th, 2014, 5:51 am

Quote:

1. I want them to come on with ignition but be able to turn them off with a switch if I don’t want that (easy enough)
Thanks in advance.
You can't have it both ways, unless you have 2 separate light switches controlling the lights.Option 1 is switched power,option 2 is non switched power. One way to achieve this is with a fuse block.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/power...or-motorcycles
But I would go with switched power through a fuse block.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 9th, 2014, 7:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
You can't have it both ways, unless you have 2 separate light switches controlling the lights.Option 1 is switched power,option 2 is non switched power. One way to achieve this is with a fuse block.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/power...or-motorcycles
But I would go with switched power through a fuse block.
You could consolidate by using a single, double throw double pole, center off toggle or rocker switch.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #5 of 8 Old Sep 9th, 2014, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
You could consolidate by using a single, double throw double pole, center off toggle or rocker switch.
That's what I was thinking of, but wasn't sure if it would work, I am not opposed to having 2 switches but I wasn't really sure how to wire that up. The ultimate option is to double the lights and have one switched on ignition and the other set switched on direct but that's added cost I would rather avoid. I was looking at DPDT switches like this even though the indicator lights wouldn't work.

I just don't know if this can be done without completing a circiut between all other ignition controlled circuits when I flip the lights on off battery power.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #6 of 8 Old Sep 10th, 2014, 8:32 am

Quote:
That's what I was thinking of, but wasn't sure if it would work, I am not opposed to having 2 switches but I wasn't really sure how to wire that up. The ultimate option is to double the lights and have one switched on ignition and the other set switched on direct but that's added cost I would rather avoid. I was looking at DPDT switches like this even though the indicator lights wouldn't work.

I just don't know if this can be done without completing a circiut between all other ignition controlled circuits when I flip the lights on off battery power.
I could be wrong, it's happened before. But, I believe if you get a DPDT, center off switch and bring direct battery power into one side and switched power into the other side then connect you light to the center tap it should work.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #7 of 8 Old Sep 10th, 2014, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
I could be wrong, it's happened before. But, I believe if you get a DPDT, center off switch and bring direct battery power into one side and switched power into the other side then connect you light to the center tap it should work.
That's what my simpleton brain was telling me, but as I have confessed, electrical is not my strong suit by any means so I wanted some confirmation. I'm going to give it a whirl with the DPDT and see if it works, if not then I can always go to plan B or C.

Thanks everyone for the input, I should have it all done in the next month or so, my goal is to be back on the road in time for the AZBeemers Annual Fall Gathering 10/25 and the start of the riding season - holding fingers crossed.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 10th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Quote:
That's what my simpleton brain was telling me, but as I have confessed, electrical is not my strong suit by any means so I wanted some confirmation. I'm going to give it a whirl with the DPDT and see if it works, if not then I can always go to plan B or C.

Thanks everyone for the input, I should have it all done in the next month or so, my goal is to be back on the road in time for the AZBeemers Annual Fall Gathering 10/25 and the start of the riding season - holding fingers crossed.
If you want the ability to select constant power or switched power or neither, just make sure the switch that you use has a center off position.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in