Motolight MR16 LED replacement lamps - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dbaliko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Question Motolight MR16 LED replacement lamps

Searching this subforum, the last post I found on this topic is nearing a year old so perhaps it's time to rehash the topic. LED technology changes rapidly, as do the suppliers and their stock.

I have a set of Motolights setting here and I want (need) to replace the lamps with LEDs. (I don't want to stress out the charging system on my 1985 Honda V65 Magna.) Sure I can find MR16 LEDs online, but nothing that fits the specs that I *think* should be what a true replacement should be. Perhaps I don't really need what I think I need.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • 12V MR16 LEDs
  • 10 degree angle (15 degree MAX)
  • 250-300 lumens minimum, more is better
  • Affordable (under $35/lamp, less is better)

Please comment, and thanks for your time. Links would be super helpful.

- Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 5:15 pm

Re: Motolight MR16 LED replacement lamps

I found myself in a similar situation. The difference being I was attempting to replace bulbs from my PIAA 1100X lights. Not sure where I found the suggestion, but this is what I went to. http://www.dx.com/p/mr16-4w-4-led-65...hite-12v-30208 I did have to do some grinding of the cooling fins on the back side of the bulb to allow them to fit the PIAA chassis.

Did the install last fall and so far this season, I have been quite pleased as my intent was mainly conspicuity.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, Scott. I bought a pair to try. I am concerned that the site doesn't list the projection angle tho.

- Joe

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post
Thanks for the link, Scott. I bought a pair to try. I am concerned that the site doesn't list the projection angle tho.
I would have another concern. The PIAA bulbs for example, and I am sure the same is true for the Motolight, have a thick and resistant lens whereas the LED bulbs have a flat thinner lens and are designed for interior use. I see a potential for lenses breaking when getting hit by something larger than a small bug. Maybe I am making too much of nothing, and I haven't seen the LED bulb in person...
I'd like to know how they perform on a bike.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 9:17 pm
Super Moderator

A few years back I went over to the Motolight shop / manufacturer site
located here in Cincinnati. I went for the LED bulbs and got a discount
and paid $75 for the pair of 4W - single LED with a 10 degree angle.

What we did test was the fact that a 35W or 55W halogen put out far
more light - we turned off the lights off in the warehouse and projected
the bulbs against a wall. Simple and not all the scientific.

I selected the LED because fo the color match with my HID at the time on
a K1200LT and because of the low wattage. I was not really looking for
major lighting improvements with the Motolights as much as getting the
triangle of lights with a bright crisp color.

If I wanted big time lighting power I would go for Clearwater lights or
equal - this is not the market that Motolights is after. As much as all my
bikes have Motolights on them they are a little behind the times regarding
technology in the areas of lights - my 2 cents!!

Joe, I am also interested in seeing if I can pinch more light of these
housings and would ne interested in your feedback on the ones you
ordered!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 11:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
I would have another concern. The PIAA bulbs for example, and I am sure the same is true for the Motolight, have a thick and resistant lens whereas the LED bulbs have a flat thinner lens and are designed for interior use. I see a potential for lenses breaking when getting hit by something larger than a small bug. Maybe I am making too much of nothing, and I haven't seen the LED bulb in person...
I'd like to know how they perform on a bike.
I had similar concerns about durability, but this became a minor point with a $10 trial.

Projection angle also was not a concern. Just looking for conspicuity as I have HID hi/low beams already. If I was looking for more 'down range' light, the Clearwater products would get my attention.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #7 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 7:05 am

Back in 2011 I purchased replacement LED amber bulbs for my motolights. The information on the bulb is as follows:

MR16 12V
3*2W EDISON
30(?) ORANGE DIM (?) I assume that this is the little degree marking.

The bulb has three LED lights. This past Sunday, I struck a small deer. The only damage was that it tore off my right motolight. I turned around and found the motolight on the side of the road, no sign of the deer. After I got home to access any additional damage, I found the the bolt that holds the motolight mounting bracket to the caliper bent. The bolt is approximately 2-1/4 inches long. Before I ordered a replacement "standard light lead" for the motolight, I checked to see if the bulb lit, sure enough it worked fine even after bouncing down the road.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #8 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 10:16 am

I had 2 pair of these lights on my Suzuki VS800 in the 60 degree pattern tipped down for short range visibility, and another pair with the 10 degree beam pointed straight along with the high beams. I loved them, the 2 floods gave great close range visibility as well as making me more visible too. The other two tied in with the high beam really made anything reflective way down the road become visible. The single H4 round headlight wasn't too bad for general use, I just found the close in visibility wasn't that great. But I also loved the extra range these gave for the high beam as well. These are available in 10, 30, 60, and 120 degree beamwidths. These are $42.95 each

If you really can't deal with black, they have these round models in chrome, red or black, but the beam options are 25 and 45 degrees. These are $49.95 each.

Here is a picture of the arrangement I had on the Suzuki. The two lower lights are the 60 degree wide low beam that are tilted down and out to each side. They are aimed high enough to give a little bit of glare to the oncoming traffic. Nobody ever flashed their high beams at me so the amount was OK. The upper lights are the narrow beam that come on with the high beam. One little flash of these sure wakes up the oncoming car that had neglected to dim their high beams.

For more long range light, there is a unit that has 2 of the 10W LEDs in it here. These are $59.95.

Now I just have to figure out where I can mount them to put the same sort of config on my LT...

Current Bike:
2006 BMW K1200LT purchased June 2014, and loving this thing so far!
post #9 of 13 Old May 12th, 2015, 11:13 am

I'm considering replacing my flood MR16 LEDs with these CREE MR16 bulbs.

greater than 580 lumens, Cree MR16 Series TrueWhite LED lamps dimmable and available in 15-degree spot, 25-degree flood and 40-degree wide flood beam angles .....

http://www.creecanada.com/documents/...SalesSheet.pdf

Cree Introduces Industry-Breakthrough Replacement for Halogen MR16 Lamps
post #10 of 13 Old May 12th, 2015, 12:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Looks like a great option for my current Motolight upgrade concerns...low wattage, more lumens and 15 degree spot angle! How much and where can I buy em' ?

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #11 of 13 Old Nov 15th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervingry View Post
I'm considering replacing my flood MR16 LEDs with these CREE MR16 bulbs.

greater than 580 lumens, Cree MR16 Series TrueWhite LED lamps Bdimmable and available in 15-degree spot, 25-degree flood and 40-degree wide flood beam angles .....

http://www.creecanada.com/documents/...SalesSheet.pdf

Cree Introduces Industry-Breakthrough Replacement for Halogen MR16 Lamps
I just added these Cree bulbs to my Motolights. I bought the 15 degree bulbs. I was also searching for a way to make these yellow, as I think the yellow bulbs are much more conspicuous, so I also added these yellow mr16 glass filters that I found.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

They slip right in the Motolights glass cover. They work perfectly.

Doug
mervingry likes this.

Last edited by dbaliko; Nov 15th, 2015 at 7:09 pm.
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 11th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Doug, how are the Cree bulbs in the Motolights working out? Are there any heat issues resulting from the bulbs being enclosed in the Motolight casings? Do they get dimmer after being on for a while? I'm considering doing the conversion and an wondering if the lack of cooling fins or vents on the Motolights cause any problems.

Mervin
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 11th, 2016, 8:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervingry View Post
Doug, how are the Cree bulbs in the Motolights working out? Are there any heat issues resulting from the bulbs being enclosed in the Motolight casings? Do they get dimmer after being on for a while? I'm considering doing the conversion and an wondering if the lack of cooling fins or vents on the Motolights cause any problems.

Mervin
Mervin,
So far so good. I've had them in the bike for a while now and they appear to work normally without any dimming. I have been on several trips with the bike since switching the bulbs where the lights were on for 8+ hours a day.

Doug

Doug
2012 R1200RT - The Green Machine
2007 R1200RT - Sold - but not forgotten

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in